X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie bits a little early

Reading Time, 5 minutes

Free Curtis Sanford.

Actually, it's too late. But Sanford had a strong regular season in goal for the Blues' minor-league affiliate in Worcester, posting a .921 save percentage. And remember how well he played on an emergency basis for the Blues in 2002- 2003? Will Sanford get a shot here, or will he be the next Dwayne Roloson? The Blues once had Roloson in the organization but he moved on to Minnesota, and this season led all NHL goalies with a save percentage of .935. All I know is this: we've seen enough of Chris Osgood. I'll have more to say on the Blues in Sunday's column.

--snip--

One of the spins coming out of Busch Stadium is about how the Cardinals' rotation needs time to gel. No sale. What was spring training for? Granted, the rotation should improve as the season goes on. But that doesn't justify a shaky start and the rotation's 5.80 ERA through the first 10 games. Why is it that a team like Cincinnati, with a rotation consisting of Paul Wilson, Jose Acevedo, Cory Lidle, Jimmy Haynes and Aaron Harang can go 5-2 with a 3.12 ERA through the first two weeks? Or that pitchers coming off injury rehabs (the Yankees' Kevin Brown, for one) are off to fast starts? No excuses.

Link

dvy note: not sure what he means about Brown - he pitched all last year and was awesome for LA.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Best part:

With the Blues eliminated (in large part) because they struggled to score goals, I suppose this is a good time to recall how Brett Hull was allowed to walk as a free agent after the 1998 season. One of the reasons cited was Hull's disappointing performance in the postseason. It's interesting to note that since leaving the Blues, Hull has played on two Stanley Cup champions, and he's scored 33 goals in the postseason. (Hull has 220 goals, including the playoffs, in the post-Blues portion of his career). Hull scored the winning goal Thursday in Detroit's victory over Nashville. It was the 24th game-winning goal of Hull's postseason career, tying the NHL record set by Wayne Gretzky. . . .

Comment

I love him nailing the Blues....perrrrrfect....

Hopefully, he won't cop out in Sunday's column....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Except that, of all the problems the Blues had this year, I don't think Osgood was one of them.

Nothing against Sanford - I've liked him when I've seen him. But blaming the Blues continued post-season woes (at least this year) on Osgood is just stupid.
        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

I agree. Osgood actually played well in the playoffs. Sharks scored some cheap goals of the Blues defensive mishaps.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1@Apr 16 2004, 05:21 PM
            I agree. Osgood actually played well in the playoffs. Sharks scored some cheap goals of the Blues defensive mishaps.
            The whole team sucked, him included...

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Apr 16 2004, 05:22 PM-->
              QUOTE (007 @ Apr 16 2004, 05:22 PM)

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan+Apr 16 2004, 05:26 PM-->
              QUOTE (ChiTownBluesFan @ Apr 16 2004, 05:26 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 16 2004, 03:55 PM
              Best part:

With the Blues eliminated (in large part) because they struggled to score goals, I suppose this is a good time to recall how Brett Hull was allowed to walk as a free agent after the 1998 season. One of the reasons cited was Hull's disappointing performance in the postseason. It's interesting to note that since leaving the Blues, Hull has played on two Stanley Cup champions, and he's scored 33 goals in the postseason. (Hull has 220 goals, including the playoffs, in the post-Blues portion of his career). Hull scored the winning goal Thursday in Detroit's victory over Nashville. It was the 24th game-winning goal of Hull's postseason career, tying the NHL record set by Wayne Gretzky. . . .
              The real problem with that is that it was apparent in September 1997 that they would no be able to sign Hull to a new contract.

They could have moved him and gotten something in return before allowing him to walk.

Or go back even further and they supposedly had a deal with Washington in late 96 that would have brought in Gonchar and Witt.
              LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

I thought it was Gonchar and Konowalchuk, as mentioned in the other thread.

I actually prayed for that trade.

Wasn't a good year between the Almighty and me.
                And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Apr 16 2004, 05:22 PM-->
                  QUOTE (007 @ Apr 16 2004, 05:22 PM)

Originally posted by ohio BLUES+Apr 16 2004, 08:13 PM-->
                  QUOTE (ohio BLUES @ Apr 16 2004, 08:13 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 05:22 PM

Cool, 007. Keep misconstruing my comments to make yourself sound better.

So if the whole team sucks, Osgood's in on it... but if Osgood's GAA sucks, the rest of the team had no part of it?
                  Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                  "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by ohio BLUES@Apr 16 2004, 08:58 PM
                    Cool, 007. Keep misconstruing my comments to make yourself sound better.

So if the whole team sucks, Osgood's in on it... but if Osgood's GAA sucks, the rest of the team had no part of it?
                    Look @ the rest of the stats, Senor Wences....get off 'I'm better than you' schtick...

Comment

Get off the "putting words in my post" shtick...
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

• Working...
                        X