Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming Update

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ment_warming_dc
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Environmentalist wackos, those Eskimos.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

I'm stunned that there are still people who buy into this global warming crap.

Comment

I don't think we have a plan to stop using fossil fuels - if anything the plan is to increase usage.

If we stopped now and starting planting trees like fiends we might be able to slow down the problem - but the genie is never going back in the bottle.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

If the price of gas continues rising we'll be using less fossil fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark@Apr 16 2004, 02:09 PM
            I know - Bush tells us it's a hoax, and he's never lied to us before!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/internation...1153513,00.html
            Now the Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
            · Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
            · Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

Mark Townsend and Paul Harris in New York
            Sunday February 22, 2004
            2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpol...nmemo032601.htm

Whitman to Bush: Global Warming Is Serious Issue
              In a private memo to President Bush, EPA chief Christine Todd Whitman urged him to recognize global warming as a serious international issue -- just days before the president reneged on his campaign pledge to cut carbon dioxide emissions at the nation's power plants. The full text of the memo follows:

UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
              WASHINGTON, D.C. 20460

March 6, 2001

THE ADMINISTRATOR

MEMORANDUM FOR THE PRESIDENT

SUBJECT: G-8 MEETING, TRIESTE

Having just returned from Italy and the G-8 meeting I thought I would pass on a few observations of the International Community and global climate change.

First: This was a precursor to two meetings to which you and other heads of state will be invited: Bonn in July and Johannesburg in 2002. It is safe to assume that there will be head of state participation in at least one if not both meetings.

Second: The World Community (EU; Umbrella group made up of US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Norway, Iceland, Russia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan (as an observer); and the G-77 or developing countries) are all convinced of the seriousness of this issues and the need to act now.

Third: The Kyoto Protocol is the only game in town in their eyes. There is a real fear in the international community that if the US is not willing to discuss the issue within the framework of Kyoto the whole thing will fall apart. They feel that they can move ahead toward their goals on their own, but would need the U.S. to really get things done.

Fourth: For the first time the world's religious communities have started to engage in the issue. Their solutions vary widely, but the fervor of the focus was clear. Of course this has been an issue for the NGOs for awhile.

As you can see from the attached highlighted clips, I had varied success in buying us time to fully engage in these discussions. From a political perspective I believe that we are in a position to build some good will while not endorsing the specifics of Kyoto. Expectations are low for this Administration.

I would strongly recommend that you continue to recognize that global warming is a real, and serious issues.

While not specifically endorsing the targets called for in Kyoto, you could indicate that you are exploring how to reduce U.S. Greenhouse gas emissions internally and will continue to do so no matter what else transpires.

Mr. President, this is a credibility issue (global warming) for the U.S. in the international Community. It is also an issue that is resonating here, at home. We need to appear engaged and shift the discussion from the focus on the "K" word to action, but we have to build some boneifides first.

We did win some issues at this meeting i.e., recognizing cost, promoting children's health, and fending off some last minute end runs by the Germans and Japanese.

I'm available to discuss this further if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark@Apr 16 2004, 03:09 PM
                Airshark,
                Please tell us why global warming is crap.
                *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Apr 16 2004, 02:12 PM
                  I don't think we have a plan to stop using fossil fuels - if anything the plan is to increase usage.

If we stopped now and starting planting trees like fiends we might be able to slow down the problem - but the genie is never going back in the bottle.
                  I thought I read somewhere that there are more trees in this country now than there was 100 years ago.
                  Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Apr 16 2004, 02:39 PM-->
                    QUOTE (BurnKU @ Apr 16 2004, 02:39 PM)

I thought I read somewhere that there are more trees in this country now than there was 100 years ago.
                    Well, it's in Limbaugh's first book, and has been hammered more times than Tex Cobb.

It's not true. There is less acreage, and "forests" have been replaced with tree farms and single species plantings.
                    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Even if there were more trees - than 100 years ago - the rate of fossil fuel consumption is way out the box. And there aren't more trees.

Regardless - if you want to do something about the trend you are left with this disturbing fact - if I cut back on my consumption - the majority won't and we are all still going down the same road to destruction - except they will be getting their much more comfortably.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

• Working...
                        X