Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebert's review of Gibson's Passion of Christ

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...passion24.html

He gives it 4 stars and says it's a great depiction.

He feels the need to give this warning three times:
    the film is the most violent I have ever seen.
    I have a feeling that the huge numbers of church groups that bought tickets to this are going to be FREAKED OUT.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Feb 24 2004, 03:13 PM
    I have a feeling that the huge numbers of church groups that bought tickets to this are going to be FREAKED OUT.
    You have no idea how much I would pay to see that.

Comment

Why should they be "freaked out"?

The Old Testament told of the violence.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

i guess the first scene in 'Saving Private Ryan' was violent enough...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I want to see this. Can't get over the controversy about the Jews being upset over being portrayed as the ones who killed Jesus. Well, guys...
          Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

I can't wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Feb 24 2004, 03:15 PM
              Why should they be "freaked out"?

The Old Testament told of the violence.
              Because from what I've read, churches are buying blocks of tickets and going in large groups. That's going to include kids and little old ladies.

If this is the most violent film that EBERT has ever seen - including Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, etc., think about the little kids and little old ladies sitting there watching Jesus get the beat down for 2 hours, with graphic wounds and blood pouring out of his body.

It's gonna be a freak out.
              2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Feb 24 2004, 03:17 PM
                I want to see this. Can't get over the controversy about the Jews being upset over being portrayed as the ones who killed Jesus. Well, guys...
                Ebert addresses that very well in his review.

Pilate is seen going through his well-known doubts before finally washing his hands of the matter and turning Jesus over to the priests, but Caiaphas, who also had doubts, is not seen as sympathetically. The critic Steven D. Greydanus, in a useful analysis of the film, writes: "The film omits the canonical line from John's gospel in which Caiaphas argues that it is better for one man to die for the people [so] that the nation be saved.

"Had Gibson retained this line, perhaps giving Caiaphas a measure of the inner conflict he gave to Pilate, it could have underscored the similarities between Caiaphas and Pilate and helped defuse the issue of anti-Semitism."
                The libel that the Jews "killed Christ" involves a willful misreading of testament and teaching: Jesus was made man and came to Earth in order to suffer and die in reparation for our sins. No race, no man, no priest, no governor, no executioner killed Jesus; he died by God's will to fulfill his purpose, and with our sins we all killed him. That some Christian churches have historically been guilty of the sin of anti-Semitism is undeniable, but in committing it they violated their own beliefs.

Comment

Contrary to that story, most churches are NOT taking children.
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Feb 24 2004, 03:19 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Feb 24 2004, 03:19 PM)

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Feb 24 2004, 03:17 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Feb 24 2004, 03:17 PM)

Trig,

I can't wait to see it.

I have heard many people (critics) say that it's an ultra violent movie and my only response is this: NO SHIT!

A man was tortured, beaten, carried his cross in front of his freinds and family and nailed to it. I honestly don't see how an accurate depiction couldn't be ultra-violent.

It's good to hear that the movie got four stars.
                    Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

The word has been circulated quite well as to what a violent movie this is. Just because people go to church, doesn't mean they are stupid. I think those attending will be aware of what they are in for.

Also, I'm not sure why somebody would take glee in seeing church groups "freaked out." Seems sad.

Comment

"Pilate is seen going through his well-known doubts before finally washing his hands of the matter and turning Jesus over to the priests, but Caiaphas, who also had doubts, is not seen as sympathetically. The critic Steven D. Greydanus, in a useful analysis of the film, writes: "The film omits the canonical line from John's gospel in which Caiaphas argues that it is better for one man to die for the people [so] that the nation be saved."

I wasn't aware that Caiaphas was interested in the preservation of the Roman State. I was always under the impression that he wanted Christ crucified for his own purposes or selfish reasons.
                        Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Feb 24 2004, 03:24 PM
                          BTW, I saw Fog of War - the Robert McNamara documentary this past weekend - it's also very worth seeing.
                          Great. You had mentioned you were going. That film is worthy of another huge discusison some other time - it wsa eerily parallel to the Iraq 2 war.

What did you think of Glass's soundtrack? I thought it was great, with the military snares sneeking in there every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                          X