X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO wants their content to be "Copy Never"

HBO wants its programming to be off-limits for DVRs

2/9/2006 2:03:29 PM, by Eric Bangeman

Although the courts shot down the FCC's attempt to enforce the broadcast flag, the networks are moving full steam ahead on getting the flag written into law one way or another. So far, one bill has been introduced that would plug the so-called "analog hole," and there have been a number of Congressional hearings on piracy and copyright. No matter what the venue, the mantra of the media industry has been the same: restrictions on what consumers can do with their broadcasts are absolutely necessary in order to stop piracy and keep the networks in business.

Right.

HBO has joined the fray with a recent FCC filing in which it argues that its programming—and all "Subscription Video On Demand" services—should fall into the category of "Copy Never." In a broadcast-flagged world, that translate into consumers not being able to record content broadcast by HBO. No TiVo, no VCR, no video capturing on your PC, no nada.

By way of refresher, the analog hole legislation breaks broadcast content into four "Technical Content Protection Responses," each with increasingly stringent restrictions. At the bottom is No Technical Protection Applied, meaning that the programming would be treated like every other transmission today. From there we move to Copy One Generation Content and Copy Unlimited No Redistribution Content which would allow limited recording and copying. HBO's proposal would put its programming into the category of Copy Prohibited Content, which makes copying and recording of any kind verboten.

While it is true that some of HBO's original programming finds its way to Usenet and what BitTorrent sites still remain, its business model appears to be weathering the changing technological times just fine. Rather, the proposed restrictions on recording HBO's programming are a clear and simple money grab. Love watching Deadwood, but missed the premiere of the new episode on Sunday night? Well, you may not be able record it, but HBO will be happy to deliver an on-demand viewing to you for an extra couple of bucks.

You get the picture. Copy protection is not about stamping out piracy. Sure, it will cut down on piracy—at least the casual file-trading that goes on. But at its heart, its about finding new ways to monetize the content. And by "monetize the content," I mean "charge you multiple times for the same thing." Remember that as the analog hole and future broadcast flag legislation makes its way through Congressional committees, and be sure to let the FCC, your senators, and your congressperson know how you feel about HBO's proposed changes.

I like TiVoing HBO's programming. It gives me something to watch during the two-year breaks between seasons of The Sopranos?[/b][/quote]

I'd like to think there will be a public uproar about this that will stop these assholes, but I know better than that...Couch Potato America is too fucking lazy, too fucking stupid, and too fucking medicated to get off their asses and call them on their bullshit...

So - get ready for the next generation of digital media content...and get ready to throw away your Tivos, and your DVRs, and your VCRs, and your DVD burners, etc...

You will take WHAT they give you WHEN they give it to you HOW they give it to you, and you will ike it - or else you will pay out the nose to do what you can do now for free...

Fuckers.
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Bump in the road.

People will find a way to record these shows.

Comment

I can live without Entourage, Deadwood and the Sopranos.

HBO can eat it.
      Are you on the list?

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Feb 9 2006, 12:23 PM) Quoted post

Bump in the road.

[/b][/quote]

Not many will be able to. You're going to need an advanced engineering degree to come up with the combined hadrware/software platform to undo all the encryption going into this...the entire path all the way to the display devices is protected...

Certainly a few enterprising individuals will be able to crack it, though - and the entertainment cartel will go after those that do with guns blazing - we're talking huge fines, prison time, etc...

Comment

I will drop HBO in a second if they do this.
          *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

I think if they were to open up the content and allow people to use it how they want to and when they want to (within reason, of course), they'd probably recognize more in sales, whether it be from service subscriptions or DVD sales.
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

QUOTE(Blues Fan in SF @ Feb 9 2006, 02:27 PM) Quoted post

Bump in the road.

[/b][/quote]

Not many will be able to. You're going to need an advanced engineering degree to come up with the combined hadrware/software platform to undo all the encryption going into this...the entire path all the way to the display devices is protected...

Certainly a few enterprising individuals will be able to crack it, though - and the entertainment cartel will go after those that do with guns blazing - we're talking huge fines, prison time, etc...
              [/b][/quote]

Well, I'll just wait for these shows to come out on Chinese DVD and get them from Wang........

oh, shit...I'll never have a recorded copy of Soprano's again!

Comment

QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Feb 9 2006, 02:24 PM) Quoted post

HBO can eat it. [/b][/quote] I'll just wait until they come out on DVD, rent them and burn them to a hard-drive.

Just about everyone I know that has HBO watches their shows using a DVR.

I'm all for the free market, but this is just a dick move.

Comment

What a coincidence.

My household is a "Buy Never" one when it comes to subscribing to HBhoe.

Comment

Bump in the road.

[/b][/quote]

Certainly a few enterprising individuals will be able to crack it, though - and the entertainment cartel will go after those that do with guns blazing - we're talking huge fines, prison time, etc... [/b][/quote]

Unless the TV has an encryption device it'll be possible to get them. Yes, I know they are talking about closing the analog loophole, but unless you replace all the TVs it's not going to happen.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Feb 9 2006, 12:35 PM) Quoted post

Bump in the road.

[/b][/quote]

Certainly a few enterprising individuals will be able to crack it, though - and the entertainment cartel will go after those that do with guns blazing - we're talking huge fines, prison time, etc... [/b][/quote]

Unless the TV has an encryption device it'll be possible to get them. Yes, I know they are talking about closing the analog loophole, but unless you replace all the TVs it's not going to happen.
                      [/b][/quote]

The entire industry is switching to all digital transmission - by 2007 the analog spectrum will be reclaimed for other uses...the new TVs DO have all of this encryption built in...so does Microsoft Vista, so do the new HD-compatible monitors, so do the new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compatible devices, etc...

...AAAAAND, YOU, the consumer, are paying extra for ALL of it...

Enjoy it. And be sure to thank your Congress-cockroach for making it all happen for you as well...

Comment

The entire industry is switching to all digital transmission - by 2007 the analog spectrum will be reclaimed for other uses...the new TVs DO have all of this encryption built in...so does Microsoft Vista, so do the new HD-compatible monitors, so do the new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compatible devices, etc...[/b][/quote]

Not all the new TVs have encryption built in. Going digital doesn't mean encryption is built in.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Feb 9 2006, 02:40 PM) Quoted post
                          The entire industry is switching to all digital transmission - by 2007 the analog spectrum will be reclaimed for other uses...the new TVs DO have all of this encryption built in...so does Microsoft Vista, so do the new HD-compatible monitors, so do the new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compatible devices, etc...[/b][/quote]

Not all the new TVs have encryption built in. Going digital doesn't mean encryption is built in.
                          [/b][/quote]

You'll need a digital converter to use your digital-less TV, though.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Feb 9 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Not according to what I've read...all of the digital televisions and set-top boxes for older analog TVs are being "required" (not by law, but rather by entertainment cartel fiat) to comply with a whole host of these new encryption standards...especially High-Definition format...they are trying to pass legislation to mandate this in all future electronics that are in any way capable of playing protected content...

Here's the Wiki entry for all of this crap, if you want to read further...LINK

Comment

QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Feb 9 2006, 03:24 PM) Quoted post

HBO can eat it.
                              [/b][/quote]

I haven't had HBO in.......8 years? I'm still alive and am even less fat now than I was then so I may be better off for it.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                              No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                              President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                              President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X