April 30: Bartman Appreciation Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 30: Bartman Appreciation Night

Since I'm in charge of morale here at the Lounge, I'm constantly on the prowl for ways in which we here can agree on something.

To that end, I am designating April 30 as Steve Bartman Appreciation Night in St. Louis. The Cubs will be coming to town for the first night this season, and I think it's only fitting that we honor their best fan.

Kaiser....get working on bobbleheads for the first 30,000. Cubs hat, headphones, Little League jacket. You know the drill.

I would wait until later in the season for this night, but it may not have the same effect if the Cubs are ahead of us by 15 games.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

One lucky fan with the winning number will get to go down to a seat on the 3rd base line where Moises Alou will yell at him.

I swear to God I start laughing every time I think of that whole situation.
      I'm always right.

Comment

Alou should be happy each time he thinks of Steve. Bartdude saved Alou's ass of being known as the goat. If he sticks his glove out and drops that ball, and all the shit follows, Alou would have been thrown out of the city.

Alou and Agone both need to give thanks for Bartman. Agone got a MAJOR pass by all of this, and Alou saved some of his pride in the matter.

Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Apr 15 2004, 11:14 AM
          Alou should be happy each time he thinks of Steve. Bartdude saved Alou's ass of being known as the goat. If he sticks his glove out and drops that ball, and all the shit follows, Alou would have been thrown out of the city.

Alou and Agone both need to give thanks for Bartman. Agone got a MAJOR pass by all of this, and Alou saved some of his pride in the matter.

Bartman didn't save Alou's ass.

He saved the shortstop's ass.

That error cost the Cubs a lot more than Bartman's play did, but nobody remembers.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

I think I said that. About Gonzo getting a pass. :rolleyes:

I was half serious about saving Alou's ass. That guy is a liability and my point was, that it wasnt a sure thing that Alou was going to catch it anyway. Just cause he gets a glove on doesnt mean it would have been caught.

Alou didnt want the pressure anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Apr 15 2004, 11:19 AM
              I think I said that. About Gonzo getting a pass. :rolleyes:

I was half serious about saving Alou's ass. That guy is a liability and my point was, that it wasnt a sure thing that Alou was going to catch it anyway. Just cause he gets a glove on doesnt mean it would have been caught.

Alou didnt want the pressure anyway.
              Oops. Didn't see the shortstop reference.

Here's the thing about Bartman that gets to me. The guy right next to him -- a firefighter, I think -- came about two centimeters from touching the ball himself. Nobody knows him, and Bartman will be remembered throughout history. I'd love to talk to the firefighter....find out how lucky he feels to have been out of reach.
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought it was funny as well that others reached for the ball, willing to do the same thing that Bartman did.

All the stars were aligned. The guys name was bartman.

What if it had been kazmericksh or pschecische or something unpronounceable?

The only thing that would have made it better was if the dude's name was Goatman or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Apr 15 2004, 11:26 AM
                  The only thing that would have made it better was if the dude's name was Goatman or something.
                  Excellent.

If I were sitting next to him and was also going for the ball, the first thing I would have done after failing to get the ball would be to immediately dump my beer on him.
                  I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Apr 15 2004, 11:26 AM
                    I thought it was funny as well that others reached for the ball, willing to do the same thing that Bartman did.

All the stars were aligned. The guys name was bartman.

What if it had been kazmericksh or pschecische or something unpronounceable?

Or Santo.
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Idea:

Everyone here who is going to the game can arrange a Bartman chant. For example, you guys could all agree to start chanting after the first pitch of the top of the fourth inning, "WE LOVE BARTMAN!" (Clap-Clap Clap-Clap-Clap). So then there will be a few random people in different parts of the ballpark doing it and, eventually, it will spread to other people in the section and then eventually throughout the whole ballpark. You could do this two or three times during the course of the game.

EDIT: And try to do it on an ESPN or Fox Saturday game so the whole country can hear it.

Comment

Hold up signs w/ his face on it.
                        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

This isn't sad, not at all...
                          Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan+Apr 15 2004, 12:16 PM-->
                            QUOTE (kennyboyerfan @ Apr 15 2004, 12:16 PM)

Originally posted by bcruise@Apr 15 2004, 01:04 PM
                            baseball-intelligent Cubs fans

Good one!

Comment

• Working...
                              X