Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Eldred

Personal:
    Graduated in 1986 from Urbana (Iowa) Community School...named All-State in baseball and basketball in his junior and senior year...was a Third-Team High School All-America selection...selected by the New York Mets in1986 but did not sign...attended the University of Iowa where he earned preseason All-America honors in 1989...finished fourth on Iowa's all-time strikeout list (177) and fifth in innings pitched (218)...enjoys hunting...lists Willie Nelson as his favorite musician...he and his wife, Christi, have four children, C.J., Luke, Emily Ann and Abigail.
    For some reason the birthday and stuff wasn't on his stlcardinals player page. Whatever.

I think Cal is really really cool. I was sad last year when he came in and almost let the ... was it Brewers? ... win the first game of the season. Rough first outing of the year, no doubt.

When I was at ST last year at the practice grounds, I got some autographs. After talking to one particular player, I got pissed and wasn't going to get any more autographs. Just didn't feel like talking to any of them anymore. I noticed Cal was signing some, and sometimes you can't resist just one more 'graph. BUT I wasn't going to talk to this mfer. Wasn't gonna do it.

He looked at me, noticed my sour face and laughed a little and said "HI!!!! HOW ARE YOU??" And I laughed. And we chatted a little. Super nice guy. I am allowed to be biased towards people who are nice.

I never told him that when he was a White Sox (is that the team he was on before?), he was on my fantasy team and helped me secure 2nd place in that division.

That guy is TALLLLLL.

His wife has a very excellent name.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Thats my guy
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

You know, I seem to mention in most of these posts that these guys are tall.

Maybe I should stop saying that and instead say

I am shooooooort.

(really, I am not that short, just in comparison to them I am)

Comment

Blows......

in more ways than one
        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

hi christi
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Lazy,

Oh and Jack! No! Bad poster! This is the Player Celebration Program, k?

C E L E B R A T I O N

Comment

He actually wasn't that bad last year. An ugly start.

He's been through a lot to still be pitching.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

When I was at ST last year at the practice grounds, I got some autographs. After talking to one particular player, I got pissed and wasn't going to get any more autographs. Just didn't feel like talking to any of them anymore.
                It was Tino, right? And you hate him because he's so good looking.
                2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Tino was there last year?

I never saw him. And that's the truth too. I never saw him on those practice grounds.

Maybe he had those two or three days off or something.

Comment

Take away Eldred's first two appearances and his ERA for the year was 3.09, and only Calero struck out more batters per nine innings.

Been a mystery why people love to bag on Eldred so much when he had a very solid season.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Feb 24 2004, 01:34 PM
                      Take away Eldred's first two appearances and his ERA for the year was 3.09, and only Calero struck out more batters per nine innings.

Been a mystery why people love to bag on Eldred so much when he had a very solid season.
                      Because first impressions last a long time, kah. Larussa went to him early and he got shelled, and Larussa put him back in and it happened again.

Cal to his credit worked through it.
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I guess. But it's good that Cal's back, and there's no reason to think he can't be a solid set-up guy again. And frankly you have to admire somebody who's been hurt that often and won't give up.

Comment

I really like Eldred, but i think the 900,000 could have been spent more resourcefully towards a solid set up man. Cal's arm is hangin on by a couple of screws barely.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterfield Cat@Feb 24 2004, 01:49 PM
                            I really like Eldred, but i think the 900,000 could have been spent more resourcefully towards a solid set up man. Cal's arm is hangin on by a couple of screws barely.
                            Chesterfield, I actually think Eldred IS solid and cheap all things considered. The stats kah posted are part of that.
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I don't think we have seen a proven and reliable set-up man out of Eldred yet. I remembered some times where he got absolutely shelled in games when we needed a good performance out of him. He had a good overall year, not denying that. However, the role didn't seem to suite him some games.

Comment

Working...
                              X