• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Eat At Your Desk?

If you like eating lunch at your desk this will make you lose your appetite
    By Al Lewis
    The Denver Post
    04/05/2004

Are you worried about West Nile virus or deadly forms of the flu?

I worry about hantavirus, especially in the workplace.

Hantavirus is a respiratory infection spread by rodent urine, feces or saliva. There's no cure, and it can kill you.

I worry about hantavirus because there are mice inside the cubicle panels surrounding my desk.

I see them scurry across the floor sometimes, blurry bolts of fur captured only in the corners of my eyes. They dart into openings where wires are supposed to run. Sometimes the landlord sets traps to catch them, but the traps don't catch all of them.

I don't know how these furry freeloaders get to the third floor of our downtown office building.

But once here, they live bountifully off the peanut, chip, pretzel, cake, bagel and doughnut crumbs that fall to the floor in our haste to put out the news.

Billions of other creatures live here, too. And in your office, as well.

Did you know that the average office desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat? This is according to a study in 2002 by University of Arizona microbiologist Charles Gerba.

Think about that next time you decide to dine at your desk.

If you're not disinfecting your work area daily, you're running a zoo. Gerba recommends a disinfecting wipe at least once a day. Then again, his research was sponsored by Clorox, which makes handy disinfecting wipes for germophobes.

If you're not quite so germophobic as Clorox would like you to be, at least read this count of microbes per square inch that Gerba's research team found on typical office desks: 25,127 on phone receivers; 20,961 on desktops; 3,295 on keyboards; and 301 on fax machines. Better to eat off the photocopier, which had 69. Or better still, the toilet seat, which had 49.

IBiz Technology Corp. of Phoenix recently used Gerba's data in pitching its germ-free virtual keyboard. The device uses a laser to project the image of a keyboard onto any easily disinfected surface. There's no keyboard, but the laser picks up keystrokes on the virtual one. It's a bit strange, but there's no place for crumbs, flakes, dander, hair or mucus to hide.

I don't have one of these gadgets, but I get my keyboard cleaned once a year. That's because I know some people who've inadvertently grown fuzz on their keyboards.

Bacteria aren't the only bugs growing on desks and keyboards. Viruses can live for two hours on most office surfaces, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This means when your old pal Sneezy comes by to shoot the breeze, his droplets are landing on your work space and starting a competing enterprise.

"God bless you," you might say. But you ought to be holding your breath, wiping down everything with Clorox and running to the restroom to scrub your hands, especially if you are short on sick days.

The CDC says washing your hands frequently with soap and warm water is among the best defenses in an office full of hostile microbiology. On its Web site, the CDC suggests singing the "Happy Birthday" song twice with your hands under the water, assuring a 15-20 second scrub.

I tried this, but I started thinking about how birthday celebrants always blow out the candles with such determination, spraying the cake with their atomized bug juice.

It's scary when this tradition is observed at the office. You congratulate your co-worker with a firm handshake and then grab a piece of cake, go back to your disease-infected desk and eat it.

Yum.
    Source URL.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

and that folks, is why I eat lunch off the office toilet!
    Are you on the list?

Comment

I'm going to start eating in other people's offices from now on.
      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Apr 15 2004, 09:01 AM
        and that folks, is why I eat lunch off the office toilet!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

You could just eat your desk, rather than eating at it.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 15 2004, 10:03 AM
            Don't you have school, Skippy?
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

I eat at the Y.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 15 2004, 10:03 AM
                Is spring break over yet? Why aren't you in school? Oh and your guy sucks!

I'm just jealous because your guy made the team and mine didn't. But he will be back!
                RIP Stan the Man
                The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Apr 15 2004, 09:04 AM-->
                  QUOTE (Turd Ferguson @ Apr 15 2004, 09:04 AM)

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 15 2004, 10:05 AM
                  I eat at the Y.
                  The Lounge's funniest poster. Was there ever any doubt?
                  RIP Stan the Man
                  The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                  I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Apr 15 2004, 10:04 AM-->
                    QUOTE (Turd Ferguson @ Apr 15 2004, 10:04 AM)

I'm in school right now, assclowns.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 15 2004, 09:08 AM
                      I'm in school right now, assclowns.
                      What kind of school do you goto that let's you post on internet forums?
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 15 2004, 10:09 AM-->
                        QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 15 2004, 10:09 AM)

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 15 2004, 10:09 AM-->
                        QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 15 2004, 10:09 AM)
                        Working...
                        X