9/11 Panel Plays Politics, Public, Victims Lose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 Panel Plays Politics, Public, Victims Lose

Although the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (search) is characterized as bi-partisan because it is comprised of six Republicans and six Democrats, without exception, the commissioners are all either former elected officials or politicos with long histories in Washington. Where on the panel are the national security experts and the academics? Where are the family members of the Sept. 11 victims? Why are none of them — people with less opportunity for political gain and arguably more interest in finding out the truth — on this panel? Why wasn't a non-partisan panel comprised of experts, academics and survivors established to lead the investigation?

Former Sen. Dennis Deconcini of Arizona, a Democrat, told Fox News that with the hearings falling in an election year, the panel's behavior was inevitable.

"What we want to do here is point the finger at Clinton or Bush rather than pointing the finger at intelligence," Deconcini said. "Unfortunately, you have a political election right before this commission is going to report its findings."

This whole ordeal is sad for the families of the victims of Sept. 11, sad for the taxpayers footing the bill for this commission and sad for the future security of our country.
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Not to worry.

The "Today" Show will feature any family member that wants to rip the President.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Would you guys prefer no independent investigation? Do you think that "letting it go" would serve the country any better? Do the negatives surrounding the hearings negate the value of the yet to be written or read commission report?

What is the point? That politics play? Duh...

Moe
      The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 15 2004, 09:31 AM
        Would you guys prefer no independent investigation? Do you think that "letting it go" would serve the country any better? Do the negatives surrounding the hearings negate the value of the yet to be written or read commission report?

Moe
        There's no reason to limit the choices to no commission or a bad commission.
        "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Bush picked 'em.
          The Dude abides.

Comment

Would you guys prefer no independent investigation?
            I would prefer an independent investigation.
            Do you think that "letting it go" would serve the country any better?
            An evaluation and recommendation on the inadequacies and vision of our intelligence service and the bureaucracy that smothers good work and intentions would serve our country well. The political drama currently unfolding does nothing for "the good of our country"
            Do the negatives surrounding the hearings negate the value of the yet to be written or read commission report?
            If you need to ask that question and we need to have this discussion, I would say they are well on there way to undermining their own conclusions.
            Yes, Moe, they do. That is obvious in the fact that the “independent commission” had no actual “independents” on it. That their idea of “independent” is played out as "fair", not impartial.
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

You would hope that the country would come ahead of vicious partisanship.

But, vicious partisanship is ok when it's liberal partisanship, right Moe?

The NYTimes told me so.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 15 2004, 09:51 AM
                Bush picked 'em.
                I don't know if that's true or not, so I'll just assume you're right. But what's the point in bringing that up? We are complaining about the commission. Bush isn't.

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 15 2004, 09:55 AM
                  Would you guys prefer no independent investigation?
                  I would prefer an independent investigation.
                  Do you think that "letting it go" would serve the country any better?
                  An evaluation and recommendation on the inadequacies and vision of our intelligence service and the bureaucracy that smothers good work and intentions would serve our country well. The political drama currently unfolding does nothing for "the good of our country"
                  Do the negatives surrounding the hearings negate the value of the yet to be written or read commission report?
                  If you need to ask that question and we need to have this discussion, I would say they are well on there way to undermining their own conclusions.
                  Yes, Moe, they do. That is obvious in the fact that the “independent commission” had no actual “independents” on it. That their idea of “independent” is played out as "fair", not impartial.
                  Bush had control over the commission. It is bipartisan because it would be a grave mistake to stack it with Rs and there are very few qualified, true Is out there.

The drama is the making of the sausage. I prefer to wait until I taste it - read the frelling report - to pass judgement on the worth of the endeavor.

Don't forget that the commission was unanimous in calling for greater cooperation from the administration. The public hearing setting promotes grandstanding - after all, these are Washington insiders - but they are all sacrificing time and money to do a very serious job...to which their names will forever be attached.

Moe
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 15 2004, 10:04 AM
                    The drama is the making of the sausage. I prefer to wait until I taste it - read the frelling report - to pass judgement on the worth of the endeavor.

Don't forget that the commission was unanimous in calling for greater cooperation from the administration.
                    I guess that means no more posts from Moe about how Bush ignored memos and other info in the first 9 months of 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Apr 15 2004, 09:59 AM
                      You would hope that the country would come ahead of vicious partisanship.

But, vicious partisanship is ok when it's liberal partisanship, right Moe?

The NYTimes told me so.
                      my point is that the Bushies stonewalling has needlessly created a lot of the animosity...they asked for it...I'd have thought they thought more of the country than to create a commission with whom they'd refuse to cooperate, but, hey, I probably read that in the NY Times...

JD, you are a nasty, bitter man. Very sad.

Moe
                      The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom+Apr 15 2004, 10:03 AM-->
                        QUOTE (phantom @ Apr 15 2004, 10:03 AM)

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 15 2004, 09:51 AM
                        Bush picked 'em.
                        Actually, I think the White House only picked the 5 Republican commissioners. The Democrats selected the other 5.
                        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Fox Jazeera doesn't mention that Zelikow wrote a book with Condoleeza Rice.

But that Gorelick is sure a big problem. Lead with that.
                          Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

If Bush hadn't stonewalled for so long, the investigation wouldn't be happening during an election year.
                            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

• Working...
                              X