Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchin Tendulkar...

Dev..

Hope your Dad can give me some insights. I was watching replays of the Pakistan v. India test series...

Satchin has lightning fast bat speed..but this series..he did not hit many 6's...what is wrong with him? Will he bem in full form against the test match versus the Aussies....as I want us to beat India fair and square.

I followed the series online - something is not right with him. He's been getting out too easily lately - since the first inning of the first test.

There have been "whispers" that he does choke in big tests or matches so maybe this is another example.

han solo

Comment

Brian Lara was getting out too easily in the test series with England, then he scored the highest score in a test match ever - so I wouldnt worry.

On another note, can anyone imagine what the pressure is like for the Pakistan and Indian criket players? Cricket is like a religion over there, so I hate to think what it is like now they are playing a test series.

Comment

Dumb American here.

What is a "test series"? Also, I have seen cricket on TV and have no idea how points are scored or the object of the game. I've heard games can last for days.

If you can, can you give a brief rundown of the game and the rules and scoring and such?

Thanks.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

elvis -

A test is a contest between two nations that can last up to 5 days. they play 2 innings each and an inning ends when you get 11 guys out or wickets as they call it or a team can declare it over if they feel they scored enough runs and want to wrap up the test before the end of time.

The field is like a big oval shape with a patch in the middle that is rectangle. I think its 20 yards long but im not exact sure of the dimensions. There are 3 bars on each end that is also called a wicket. A batting team has 2 batsmen on the pitch - one on each side. The opposing team thows a ball to the batsman and it would bounce once and then the batsman can hit it anywhere on the field (front back sideways etc).

A batsman can be declared out in many ways such as getting bowled over (ball hit wicket behind the batsman without the batsman touching it), caught by a fielder after hitting the ball, etc.

One interesting thing - a bowler (pitcher) can't bend his arm when throwing overhand.

Also they do have whats called one days or QDI where each side has to score as many runs before 50 overs (each over is the equalivent of 6 throws by the bowler so there are 300 throws on each side). They are more common nowadays and they usually have 5 QDIs to determine the winner.

A test series can last a month or so.

I'm sure others will pitch in more information.

han solo

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

Also Elvis -

England is now playing West Indies (group of Caribbean islands that used to be under British Empire like Jamaica, Antigua etc).

They are on the 4th and last test now - England has won the first three - first time in 30 plus years they accomplished this in the Caribbean against WI.

They just finished the 4th test - its a draw because it went 5 full days and WI scored 751 runs thanks to the guy mentioned above scoring 400. It took them quite a while to get all these runs and declared it. Then England simply took their time trying to end this without losing and they did, thus a draw.

England first inning score is 285 and second inning score is 422 and they could have scored probably another 100 runs but would have lost when WI went to bat for the final inning. But because its a 5 day limit - it ended in a draw.

Cricket is different but I can see a lot of similiarities with baseball.

I ve always wondered why cricket was never popular in the US or Canada even though both were formerly British colonies.

han solo

Comment

A run is scored by doing what?

Comment

I saw where Lara scored 4 centuries...I thought I was misreading the screen as I saw the update on the BBC.

WEG...did he really score 4 centuries?? Amazing..

And..the pressure on the Indians is beyond belief..cricket is the end all be all of their sporting exsistence..

Tendulkar..I agree Han..my point was that his speed looked slow..and it is usually lightning fast...he's not a chocker..he's likely the best player in the world now that Warne is retired.

I think he has a tougher time hitting spin bowlers rather than fast..and they have been throwing spinner after spinner...

We'll see..

Comment

it's like trying to explain the appeals of baseball to a European.

Fucken impossible for an American to understand cricket...sorry wanger..
                    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Apr 14 2004, 06:30 PM
                      A run is scored by doing what?
                      Like a hit..

The hit and the run between the wickets..

Also..the can hit "home runs"..where the ball leaves the pitch..scoring 6 runs automatically.

If they hit a "ground"-type ball..they and another player run between the wickets and that counts as tallyed runs.

I post a website explaining the rules..

It is a very fun game to play...

If you dont mind a 150kph pitch spinning near your "package" or head..

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi+Apr 14 2004, 06:34 PM-->
                        QUOTE (Indu WangZi @ Apr 14 2004, 06:34 PM)

the batsman runs the full length of the pitch (the rectangle) without getting caught and that equals 1 run. I think the batsman can run back and forth to add on the runs but I'm not 100% sure. I've only caught onto cricket at the last world cup through my co-workers.

Also 4 runs are scored when a batsman hits the ball out of the boundary but not over the wall or rope or whatever that defines the boundary. Basically a ball that bounces and goes through the boundary gets 4 runs. hitting a ball straight over the boundary without touching the ground is 6 runs (like a home run).

han solo

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb+Apr 14 2004, 06:36 PM-->
                          QUOTE (lasvegasreb @ Apr 14 2004, 06:36 PM)
                          Originally posted by Indu [email protected] 14 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Apr 14 2004, 06:32 PM
                          I saw where Lara scored 4 centuries...I thought I was misreading the screen as I saw the update on the BBC.

WEG...did he really score 4 centuries?? Amazing..

And..the pressure on the Indians is beyond belief..cricket is the end all be all of their sporting exsistence..

Tendulkar..I agree Han..my point was that his speed looked slow..and it is usually lightning fast...he's not a chocker..he's likely the best player in the world now that Warne is retired.

I think he has a tougher time hitting spin bowlers rather than fast..and they have been throwing spinner after spinner...

We'll see..
                          i thought warne is still bowling - just not at QDIs anymore.

I saw that he just bowled at the test series against Sri Lanka. he was trying to break the record for Wickets.

We are talking about Shane Warne right?

About Tendulkar - I am only quoting what my Indian co-worker is saying. He thinks Tendulkar tends not to bat very well in critical situations like the recent World Cup Final against Australia and now Pakistan. But I guess he is just pissed that Tendulkar just not hitting as well as expected outside of the first Test.

Yes Lara scored 400 and that was amazing because he broke the record a second time and against the same team on the same ground.

han solo

Comment

• Working...
                            X