Baseball Question -- How Does a Pitcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Question -- How Does a Pitcher

Here is a riddle that my boss sent me. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks

From The Desk Of

Maury Maille
    Puzzler Tower
    Car Talk Plaza
    Hahvahd Squayah
    Our Fair City

This Week's Puzzler: Lefty Wins the Game Without a Pitch

RAY: Lefty McDougal, star pitcher of the Kenosha Ramblers, had an incentive clause in his contract that guaranteed him an extra thousand bucks if he won 20 games during the season.

TOM: This sounds like 1925!

RAY: It's last game of the season. Lefty has 19 victories, and is scheduled to be that day's starting pitcher. The opponent is a lousy team. They've got a terrible record, and Lefty knows he's going to get the bonus.

As luck would have it, an hour before the game his manager approaches him and says, "You ain't starting, Lefty."

Lefty asks, "Why not?"

The manager says, "The owner of the team came and said, 'If you start this bum... if he throws even one pitch, you're losing your job!'"

Lefty's dejected. He says, "Jeez, I was going buy a new house in the Hamptons with that thousand bucks!"

Lefty's discouraged, and the manager is discouraged too, because he has great regard for Lefty. The manager wonders, "How can I get Lefty to win his 20th game and collect his bonus-- and not throw a single pitch?"

And that's what happens. Lefty wins the game without throwing a single pitch.

How did he do it?
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comes into a tie game, picks a guy off first.

Comment

He comes in w/ a lead late in the game, picks off a runner in the ninth and wins...

I think it happened last year....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Here's a similar one, although it's pretty farfetched: Can you LOSE a game without throwing a pitch?

Comment

A pitcher comes into the game with the score tied and a runner on first and two outs. His first act upon coming into the game is throwing over to first...and he picks off the runner, ending the inning.

In the next inning, he's lifted for a pinch hitter and the team scores. They maintain that lead the rest of the night. The guy who came in to pick off the runner gets the W.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 11:39 AM
            Here's a similar one, although it's pretty farfetched: Can you LOSE a game without throwing a pitch?
            From the King of far-fetched.

19, 25, 12.....
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

How many hits can you get in an inning and still not score?

How many ways can you reach first without getting a hit?

Comment

He comes in as a pinch hitter and hits a 2 run double to win by one run....or some double switch happens in the 9th to have him officially as the pitcher when the winning run scores.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 14 2004, 11:44 AM
                  He comes in as a pinch hitter and hits a 2 run double to win by one run....or some double switch happens in the 9th to have him officially as the pitcher when the winning run scores.
                  I don't think he's established as the winning pitcher unless he records an out as a pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 12:39 PM
                    I don't think so.
                    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I don't think so.
                      You can, but....it's pretty farfetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 12:42 PM
                        How many hits can you get in an inning and still not score?

How many ways can you reach first without getting a hit?

My guess on the first one is 6 hits without scoring.

My guess on the second is 4.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Yes.

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 12:51 PM
                            I don't think so.
                            You can, but....it's pretty farfetched.
                            I am not going to get it - but I will wait and see if someone else comes up with it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 12:52 PM
                              Yes.

No.
                              Reaching first base

Hit -

Walk -

Intentional Walk -

Error - in the field

Error - by catcher

Error by pitcher

6?

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                              X