Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kornheiser to be replaced by 'The Heard'

'The Herd' To Debut March 29
    Colin Cowherd will join ESPN Radio March 29 as host of The Herd, which will air 10 a.m.-1 p.m. ET weekdays. A West Coast-only hour will air 9-10 a.m. ET (6-7 a.m. PT). The Herd features topical commentary on the day's most important sports news, perspective on the top stories, interviews with the biggest newsmakers, and entertaining daily segments including "Spanning the Globe" and "Rants of the Day."

The Herd replaces the Tony Kornheiser Show - Tony is stepping down from the program to concentrate on his other ESPN initiatives. He will now focus on his co-host role on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption; Dream Job; ESPN's 25th Anniversary; occasional guest on Sports Reporters. PTI is also featured on ESPN Radio, ESPN.com and in ESPN The Magazine.

SportsCenter update reporter Dan "The Duke" Davis will continue to personalize his newscasts every 20-minutes throughout the 10 a.m.-4 p.m. slot.

"It is a challenge to replace someone like Tony who's one of the brightest and funniest people in the American sports media," Cowherd says. "But I have a great deal of confidence in our show. We work our tails off and take sports seriously, but can laugh at ourselves too. The Herd has a different sound and vibe, and we hope fans enjoy it. My goal has always been to produce the best show possible, and ESPN's commitment and resources make this a perfect fit."

Cowherd joins ESPN Radio from KFXX 910-AM "The Fan" in Portland, Ore. where he hosted the popular three-hour morning-drive program The Herd. He also anchored weeknight sports and "Sports Sunday" for KGW Northwest NewsChannel 8.

"Colin's rapidly paced unique style, candidly observant rants, overall sports knowledge and interview skills conjoin to provide a program that's both informative and entertaining," says ESPN Radio general Manager Bruce Gilbert. "Colin is a proven and successful radio talent with a terrific ratings track record, and we're excited about adding The Herd to the incomparable lineup on ESPN Radio."

Cowherd's experience includes serving as sports anchor at Tampa's WTVT-TV, where he received a local Sports Emmy for Buc Sunday, and as sports director at KVBC-TV in Las Vegas, where he was named Nevada's Sportscaster-of-the-Year five times. He began his career as play-by-play voice for the Pacific Coast League's Las Vegas Stars.

ESPN Radio is the nation's largest sports radio network, providing more than 9,000 hours of talk and event content annually to nearly 700 non-duplicative stations reaching 17 million listeners each week. It is also the exclusive national radio network for the NBA, Major League Baseball and the Bowl Championship Series. ESPN Radio programming is available to our troops in more than 175 countries and U.S. territories through American Forces Networks.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I don't know the guy, but I hate that Tony is leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 24 2004, 11:50 AM
      I don't know the guy, but I hate that Tony is leaving.
      I wish I could hear it..damn streaming audio

Comment

Damn. TK had my favorite radio show.

Comment

In Chicago, ESPN 1000 cut Kornheiser about a month ago and replaced him with a local writer - Jay Mariotti from the Sun-Times. I never liked Kornheiser, because I jsut wasn't interested in hearing him talk for 20 minutes about how bad his commute was in the snow in Washington. He spent WAY too much time talking about himself. He did get good guests sometimes.
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Ohhh, man... from TK to Mariotti... couldn't plummet any further.

Can't stand that guy.

He's a snake.

Comment

I like Kornheiser on PTI, but on the radio he talks about non-sports related topics way too much. I dont want to hear about the ladies on the View, if I wanted to hear stuff like that Id just talk to my wife. Ive never heard of this new guy, anybody know anything about him?
              Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
              ---------------------------
              North County born and raised.
              ----------------------------
              Go Navy!
              ----------------------------
              http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
              (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

Originally posted by big_dawg160@Feb 24 2004, 01:38 PM
                I like Kornheiser on PTI, but on the radio he talks about non-sports related topics way too much.
                Ya mean like this board?

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Feb 24 2004, 01:39 PM-->
                  QUOTE(007 @ Feb 24 2004, 01:39 PM)

Originally posted by kconn@Feb 24 2004, 01:33 PM
                  Ohhh, man... from TK to Mariotti... couldn't plummet any further.

Can't stand that guy.

He's a snake.
                  Marriotti's show hasn't been too bad so far. Too much Cubs talk, obviously. At least he's talking about sports instead of what "Liam the British guy had for breakfast" or whatever other nonsense Kornheiser was talking about.
                  2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Working...
                  X