Brushes with Greatness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushes with Greatness

Doesn't have to be sports related. Who have you had the chance to meet over the years? What was the circumstance and the story? Did they act normally or like an asshat?

I remember a thread like this at Bernie's which was pretty cool.

CSD's story about Fernando Valenzuela is the kind of stuff I'm looking for here.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Back during the NHL strike/lockout, right before it ended, the Blackhawks were practicing at a rink near where I worked at the time. I went there over lunch to get my skates sharpened, having no idea they were there. As I was leaving, I held the pro shop door open for Roenick. He said 'Thanks.'

Not a big brush, but about the best I have, unless you count me getting a picture taken w/ Mike Liut at some Blues charity thing back when I was about 10 years old.
    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

I saw Jackie Joyner Kersee and her husband Bob at Sam's on Zumbehl in St. Charles a couple of years ago. I told my kids there goes maybe the greatest female athlete of all time.

I didn't approach her or anything. I don't feel comfortable doing stuff like that.

Comment

I saw Liza Minelli in a bar in Merrillville, IN.

She looked DIVINE.

Comment

Geezus, where can I start.....

Off the top of my head....

*Jose De Leon (not greatness, but I guess noteworthy) @ Chesterfield Mall sitting on a bench outside Walgreen's playing w/ his kids

* Jack Clark @ Pizza by the Slice (signed my friends napkin)

* Jose Mesa outside the Cards' front offices last season in some hideously colored suit

* Letting Sterling Hitchcock into Busch Stadium last year b/c he walked into the visitor's entrance by accident

* Mike Bush (another not greatness) @ a Sports Commission fund-raiser

* Ann Carroll (same as above)

* Bernie Federko (same as above)

* 'tiger' mike kelly (same as above)

* Bob Wallace, VP of the Rams (same as above and numerous Sports Commission meetings)

* Mark Lamping - sports commission breakfast and @ the ballpark

* Pavol Demitra, Lubos Bartecko and Michal Handzus @ West County Billiards AND Cinco de Mayo (all in tight 'Night @ the Roxbury' shirts )

* Roger Wehrli @ a Mizzou football preview luncheon

* Charlie Spoonhour @ SLU's parking garage

* Jamal Mayers @ Cafe Eau

* Barret Jackman talking to Marc Bergevin @ J. Buck's (@ the time, I thought the Blues just traded for him...aboot died)

* Barret Jackman (again) @ busch stadium, standing outside the bathroom, looking confused and high-tailed it into the bathroom when I was walking by like he was gonna puke

* Al MacInnis @ GNC buying some supplements

* Steve Smith @ Diamond Caberet trying to pick up a dancer

* Half the St. Louis Blues after an overtime winner against DAL in 1999 @ Humphrey's and then buying Marty Reasoner a beer b/c none of his teammates would

* Steve Levy @ the same function and sitting behind me @ the Cards playoff series against the Mets while hearing him root for the Mets (seats behind me go to visiting team's families)

* Chipper Jones FIRST wife (sssssssmokin)

* Orlando Cepeda

* Lou Brock

* Curt Flood

* Red Schoeniedst @ St. John's ICU when my dad had his heart attack

* Lee Smith @ the Winter Warm Up last year

* Stan Musial @ his offices as I had to take a Sports Commission friend to visit him

* Tony Glavin

* Carl Rose @ Athlete's Foot, Chesterfield Mall

* Fred Miller, ex-Ram, @ West Olive Movie Complex

*Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Bob Kersee @ 24 Hour Fitness

*Torry Holt and Orlando Pace @ 24 Hour Fitness

* Jeff Brown @ 24 Hour Fitness (asked him last month if he would help out the Blues)

* Grant Wistrom, Scott Mellanby, Doug Weight on several occasions @ Harpo's.....

That's all I got for now...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

-Doug Lidster coached my High School hockey team during the lockout. Real cool guy.
            -Got to meet Wayne Gretzky the day after his trade to St. Louis.
            -I've been drinking with a number of St. Louis atheletes...including Edmonds, Ankiel, Morris, Mayers, Federko, Quenneville, etc...
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

BBZ, you reminded me of two more:

* Having a few beer w/ Al Hrabosky @ a Bud Sports wrap party in 1998

* Meeting and talking to Jack & Joe Buck @ the same party...really cool

Comment

Geebus, are you a stalker?

I see Tony Glavin all the time because my daughter plays soccer at his club. Totally nice person and really cares about the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Apr 14 2004, 11:08 AM
                  Geebus, are you a stalker?

I see Tony Glavin all the time because my daughter plays soccer at his club. Totally nice person and really cares about the kids.
                  LOL!

I just had the opportunity to work and intern @ the right places...and a lot of luck...I leave them alone to their privacy....I could also tell you aboot the time I met Mark McGwire the weekend he hit 70 while I interned @ Bud Sports

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Apr 14 2004, 10:10 AM-->
                    QUOTE (007 @ Apr 14 2004, 10:10 AM)

Drinking beer with Hull and Chase at Humphrey's.

Drinking beer with Pronger and McClellan at Humphrey's, having Pronger work the door and throw my friend out, having all those guys back to my apartment to finish off a keg after last call.

When I was waiting tables waiting on the Ram's offensive line in 99.

Chatting with Bob Costas in Frontenac.

That's about it.
                    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Apr 14 2004, 11:11 AM-->
                      QUOTE (ElviswasaBluesFan @ Apr 14 2004, 11:11 AM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2004, 10:10 AM

I took a piss at a urinal right next to James Taylor at a Kentucky/Vanderbilt basketball game. Me and JT standing shoulder to shoulder with our peepees in our hands. What a moment.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of lasvegasreb and his shoes.

Comment

I hope you were holding your own pee-pee, but you don't really need to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 14 2004, 11:19 AM
                          I hope you were holding your own pee-pee, but you don't really need to answer.
                          I'll admit I tried to do a glance down just because it was killing me to know if JT was packing or not. His hips were pushed in pretty good though, so I'm assuming he doesn't bring much to the table.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of lasvegasreb and his shoes.

Comment

• Working...
                            X