Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the future of the ballpark

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=keown/040413

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Welcome to "Fun With Statistics," a weekly glimpse into the insanity of meaningless numbers: After Barry Bonds hit his 660th homer on Monday, some media outlets decided it was newsworthy to report that Bonds has hit fewer homers on Mondays than any other day of the week.
    Uhh, Tim, that would be the very media outlet that signs your paycheck. I was watching ESPN News the night he hit 660 and they literally talked about the homerun every segment. After each commercial, they came back and showed the highlight and talked about the HR again.

It gets to the point where someone achieves a milestone or a team wins a championship and you just want to turn off the TV because the saturation of the event is so pronounced, it makes you sick.

OK, I've seen the highlight 4 times in an hour now. Enough already.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I hate Bonds and I hate the way the media has an orgasm each time he does something.

I swear, its disproportionate to the amount of coverage over "important" events get.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

It's not just Bonds. Whatever the issue of the day is gets hammered over and over. I guess it just comes down to too many media outlets and not enough stories and everyone looking for something different from the next guy.

I can't stand Bonds either. All this adoration for him over the last couple of years when he's been a total ass his whole career is sickening.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
        X