I can start a new Blues thread if I want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can start a new Blues thread if I want

I mean, when Pronger is taking dumb-ass penalties down the stretch that no one could complain about officiating-wise ... why am I even rooting for these guys? The one guy I actually like, though he ain't Mike Liut, is Osgood. He at least plays way above the level I expected.

If the Blues are going to lose in the first round every year, can I have Hull and his charisma and SKILLS back? I'd rather lose with some flair.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I'm not a Blues fan, but I watch them a lot because I talk to Blues fans and I need to know what I'm talking about when I talk to them. Anyway, The guy I've really been impressed with this year is Backman. I think he has a great future in front of him.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Build around Jackman, Backman and probably Pronger...fuck everyone else

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Apr 14 2004, 01:31 AM
        Build around Jackman, Backman and probably Pronger...fuck everyone else
        ding ding
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Pronger is my 2nd favorite hockey player of all time (Hull), after past playoff failures and mistakes I've backed Pronger simply because up through the start of this season, he was one of only 2 players (MacInnis) on the entire Blues roster who:

#1 averaged more PPG in the playoffs than in the regular season
          #2 had a + rating for his playoff career

Even in the San Jose (in which discipline was a huge problem) series in 99-00 when the Blues lost in 7 games after winning the Presidents Trophy...Pronger had 3g and 4a for 7 points in the series. The following year when the Blues made the run to the Western Conference Finals, Pronger had 1g and 7a for 8 points and a +10 in 15 GP. He had an awesome playoff that year and was especially dominant vs. Dallas in the 2nd round. It looked at that point in time like Pronger had stabilized and would be a force for many years come playoff time, it looked like he had become the leader Pleau, Q, and the fans were hoping he would become. But the next season after a decent first round vs. the Sharks, the composure problems came back into play as Pronger couldn't stay out of the box...as we all know he was also injured in game 5 (i think) of that series. Many fans questioned Pronger's leadership abilities and quite a few even talked about gettin rid of the dude...I thought that was a horrible idea using Scott Stevens development and eventually success as my main point in the defense of Pronger's discipline problems. His effort in last seasons playoffs was very good considering all he had been through over the previous year with his wrist and knee injuries, I was very pleased with all aspects of his game and very excited at the prospects of him bein back this season at or near 100%. But after seeing his performance in this years playoffs there isn't really much I can say in defense of Pronger anymore. He continues to make the same dumb mistakes that are so costly in the playoffs. Yes, he is still young, and I really do believe he will win a Cup one day, but for now...there is no defending the dude as the undisciplined play come playoff time has become a staple of his scouting report. While I still look at the way Scott Stevens became a leader and led the Devils to a few Cups and hope Pronger will be the same...the discipline problem keeps showing its face and its really becoming annoying. This guy has all the tools to make a team great on his own...his transition passing is what has made him one of the top defenseman the game has ever seen. But as the discipline problem shows year in and year out...Pronger's game is being overshadowed. I would hate to see the Blues get rid of him. But at the same time, its also approaching the phase where it might be best for both the Blues and Pronger.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

May I also take this time to say Doug Weight sucks horribly.

His contract is what pushed the Blues beyond their limits financially. While that may not be his fault, the fact that he has not performed like a 10 million dollar a year player should is. The only thing this guy is determined to do is drive his check to the bank.
            You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

I'd disagree with that. Weight is one of the few players who have showed up this series.

I *will* agree that he isn't producing like a $10 million player should. I don't fault his effort, just the results. However, that's not all his fault. I never viewed him as a huge goal scorer - he's a play maker. For him to be successful, he needs wingers to go with him, something the Blues have never really given him. Regardless, for what he has provided to the team, he's vastly overpaid. Looking back, it seems like the Weight move was made more to make a move, and a splash by signing a big name rather than spending the money wisely.

As for rebuilding, I'd keep Pronger, Jackman, and Backman. I might keep Osgood because he's also one of the few that's shown up this series - hell, he had TWO saves in last nights Top Ten on Sportscenter - and that was in a loss (and both deserving of being there), while working on building up a young goaltender - which means, of course, a FULL-TIME goaltending coach.

For forwards, the only one that comes to mind is Danton - an effort guy that I don't think is all that expensive. But there's certainly not a St. Louis or Heatly among the rest.
              Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

I'm losing my faith in Pronger.

I think Backman, Danton, and Jackman should be our key players. Toss the over-hyped, over paid folks like Weight & Tkasuck & Demitra. We have all of these high profile, "big name" players, and they aren't doing *anything* for us. It's embarassing.

That said, Osgood, even though he's had some shaky moments, has really played well lately. Too bad not everyone else is.
                "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
                -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

Many of you talk about tossing aside all of these players that are underperforming. What do you mean exactly? Give them away to other teams and pick up most of their salary? That's what you will have to do to get rid of Tkachuk or Weight. Do you still dump Demitra for nothing more than a draft pick? Do you keep some cheap vets for stability - Weinrich, Baron, Finley, Silinger?

I am disappointed too, but these are the guys we got, and Laurie isn't going to throw even more of his money away by paying these disappointments to play for someone else.

Moon

Comment

Hopefully, the lockout will take care of some of that - allow a few of these high-priced contracts to expire.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Apr 14 2004, 07:46 AM
                      Many of you talk about tossing aside all of these players that are underperforming. What do you mean exactly? Give them away to other teams and pick up most of their salary? That's what you will have to do to get rid of Tkachuk or Weight. Do you still dump Demitra for nothing more than a draft pick? Do you keep some cheap vets for stability - Weinrich, Baron, Finley, Silinger?

I am disappointed too, but these are the guys we got, and Laurie isn't going to throw even more of his money away by paying these disappointments to play for someone else.

Moon
                      To be honest with you, we got Demitra for a guy who's playing Inline Hockey in the Czech Republic right now -- so we really wouldn't be losing anything if we dumped him for a high round draft pick and a role player.

Tkachuk is going to take a lot of resources to move, so is Weight. Pleau really shit the bed with those contracts!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Demitra is awful -- Caspar the Playoff Underperforming Ghost

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Apr 14 2004, 09:18 AM
                          Demitra is awful -- Caspar the Playoff Underperforming Ghost
                          Hey now, Demitra got a goal yesterday.

Almost makes you forget about the penalty he took late in the third, completely sapping the Blues of any momentum they had.

Almost.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan+Apr 14 2004, 10:29 AM-->
                            QUOTE (ChiTownBluesFan @ Apr 14 2004, 10:29 AM)

'Waiting for Godot' - Lamest. Play. EVAR!!!!

Comment

• Working...
                              X