Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball's 25 biggest miseries of the past 25 yrs

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=neel/040407

18. Tommy Lasorda makes Tom Niedenfuer pitch to Jack Clark in the bottom of the ninth with a one-run lead and first base open. Mr. Clark makes Mr. Lasorda wish he had a do-over. It's one of those slow-motion car-crash home runs. You know what's coming and you know it's going to be ugly but you can't look away, so you just stare at the screen shaking your head, and when it comes, when the wood hits the leather, the sound of contact is accompanied by the low, sorrowful sound of Dodger fans moaning everywhere and all at once.

12. Don Denkinger calls Jorge Orta safe. This would rank higher, but it took place during Game 6 of the State Championship of Missouri, so you know, for a long time, nobody had any idea it had happened.

East Coast slaps midwest in face daily. That series was much more exciting than that New York title series a few years ago, even though I am still not over losing that series to KC.

Comment

At least this guy had it in for the braves, at least two that bashed them!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

I don't remember the exact circumtances, but certainly there was SOMEONE on the bench who could run faster than Sid Bream, wasn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 13 2004, 02:31 PM
          I don't remember the exact circumtances, but certainly there was SOMEONE on the bench who could run faster than Sid Bream, wasn't there?
          Bobby Cox?
          Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

How could this writer leave out 1981? There was a strike. The Reds and the Cardinals had the best records in the National League, but Bowie Kuhn came up with a split season format which eliminated both of them. If you tell me where he's buried, I will go there and urinate on his grave.
            v

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Apr 13 2004, 01:46 PM
              How could this writer leave out 1981? There was a strike. The Reds and the Cardinals had the best records in the National League, but Bowie Kuhn came up with a split season format which eliminated both of them. If you tell me where he's buried, I will go there and urinate on his grave.
              What was the format?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Knotts+Apr 13 2004, 01:48 PM-->
                QUOTE (Don Knotts @ Apr 13 2004, 01:48 PM)

http://www.sports-wired.com/standings.asp?Y=1981&L=1

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Apr 13 2004, 02:46 PM
                  He's still alive.
                  RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                  You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Apr 13 2004, 01:46 PM
                    Bowie Kuhn came up with a split season format which eliminated both of them. If you tell me where he's buried, I will go there and urinate on his grave.
                    There might be an uncomfortable moment when you begin urinating and discover that he's still breathing.

Comment

1994, Expos would have probably won the world series--wasn't to be.
                      First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Originally posted by kconn+Apr 13 2004, 02:21 PM-->
                        QUOTE (kconn @ Apr 13 2004, 02:21 PM)

Originally posted by kjoe+Apr 13 2004, 02:37 PM-->
                        QUOTE (kjoe @ Apr 13 2004, 02:37 PM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 02:21 PM

Thought for sure Bonds would make the top 10.
                        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

• Working...
                          X