Cleaning Up Lounge Content - yes/no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Up Lounge Content - yes/no

Over the past couple of weeks several loungers have decried foul at the lack of intelligent and substantive content posted here, versus topics of considerably less quality.

Recently, SLUBLUE suggested exercising restraint in the posting of avatars and sigs, and others have openly taken offense to this seemingly Big Brother-esque type of censure by citing freedom of speech and personal preference, as referenced by Kaiser in his spot-on rebuttal.

But is the whole "freedom of speech" argument taken advantage of and conveniently used as a safety net in place of individual common sense?

I've received several pm's of late both criticizing and lamenting not only the lack of thought-provoking topics, but our tendency to play to the lowest common denominator, be it (and I'm paraphrasing) sexual escapades, degradating insults, or infantile and juvenile "contests" pitting this against that, or A vs B.

Is there a happy median...or should there be? Sure, this particular section of the Lounge (General Discussion) was created to encompass a wide variety of topics because individual lounger tastes vary dramatically, and not everyone is comfortable engaging in topics of a more serious nature such as politics, civil liberties, or as appropo as our critiques of our St. Louis teams.

So, the question remains. What obligation do we have when posting topics or responses here, and should we strive to encourage more quality topical fare?

Your thoughts.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

go fuck yourself and your mother.
    NSFW

edit: I love you
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I go for laissez-faire. Let the river go where it wants to. After a week here you know which threads and posters to avoid.

Comment

The Stranger: Do you have to use so many cuss words?
        The Dude: What the fuck you talking about?

Comment

I certainly think its something that should be discussed. Regardless of how you feel, people are leaving the board that originally wanted to migrate here.

I think that's unfortunate and I'd hate to see it happen.

I'm not sure what we can or should do.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I like it just the way it is, well - not enough hockey, but other than that - it's a fine. That's the problem, society always wants to appease the minority, because for the most part - the majority don't speak out. I for one am fed up with that way of thinking. I am tired of my rights being shit on, just because one or two people don't like a certain thing.

Comment

Regardless of how you feel, people are leaving the board that originally wanted to migrate here.
              Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 13 2004, 10:35 AM
                Regardless of how you feel, people are leaving the board that originally wanted to migrate here.
                Who?
                who?
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Let me clarify. People aren't as active in the past week as they have been in the past.

Maybe they aren't leaving. I stand corrected.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Do we have reason to think they're offended by something (hard as that may be to believe on this board)?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Levy Sucks@Apr 13 2004, 10:33 AM
                      I like it just the way it is, well - not enough hockey, but other than that - it's a fine. That's the problem, society always wants to appease the minority, because for the most part - the majority don't speak out. I for one am fed up with that way of thinking. I am tired of my rights being shit on, just because one or two people don't like a certain thing.
                      over-react much?
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Levy Sucks@Apr 13 2004, 10:33 AM
                        I am tired of my rights being shit on, just because one or two people don't like a certain thing.
                        What rights are being shit on?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Apr 13 2004, 11:43 AM-->
                          QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Apr 13 2004, 11:43 AM)

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 13 2004, 10:40 AM
                          Do we have reason to think they're offended by something (hard as that may be to believe on this board)?
                          I'm not sure that's the issue. It's more about getting caught at work reading through threads featuring bosomy starlets (not that there's anything wrong with that), profanity and anti-gay talk.

Yes, they should be working, but that's not the issue.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, I can sympathize with that....but wasn't the whole reason this board was formed was to allow people to more or less do what they want?

Comment

• Working...
                              X