Biggest MLB surprise so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest MLB surprise so far

I was going to go with the Cardinals playing over .500, or even the Tigers fast start, but I think the biggest stunner is that here we are, in mid-April, and Mr. J.D. Drew is NOT on the disabled list! What's more, he's even played in back-to-back games!

Of course, he's hitting a robust .185, but still......I thought he'd be on life support by now.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

He's not hitting yet, but watch the way teams pitch to him batting between the Joneses.

I swear, the only manager that thought little of this guy was ours. Everyone else is terrified of throwing him a fastball.

He's still getting on base even with that batting average. He'll hit.
    I'm always right.

Comment

J.D's brother is the starting shortstop at FSU, and he's a clone of JD. He hits a ton, but he can't go through a season without getting hurt.
      June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 12 2004, 02:59 PM
        He's not hitting yet, but watch the way teams pitch to him batting between the Joneses.

I swear, the only manager that thought little of this guy was ours. Everyone else is terrified of throwing him a fastball.

the guy was soft

are you saying we should have kept him?
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 12 2004, 02:59 PM

I agree about his hitting ability. I always wanted him to be a superstar, then got fed up. Damtoft's right...he's one of those batters that gets big hits against great pitchers. But I think the Braves are nuts if they expect him to make up for the loss of Sheffield or Lopez.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Apr 12 2004, 03:02 PM
            the guy was soft

are you saying we should have kept him?
            Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I wish there was some way they could have traded Edmonds and kept Drew. We got pitching for Drew--we could have gotten pitching for Edmonds.

But Edmonds was "hurt." No one wanted him because of his shoulder. That's what we were told. Why anyone would shy away from him and go for Drew instead with his injury history has yet to be explained.

Edmonds contract will be an absolute albatross the next couple of years.

And before anyone says it, we could have signed Drew if Edmonds was gone.
            I'm always right.

Comment

Tom Glavine seems to be doing well...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The Reds have been a surprise so far.

I'm a little surprised the Phillies have started slow.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

I wish we could have kept Drew but there was no way he was gonna reach his potential here. He needed a change of scenery.

I think he'll have his best year this year.
                  “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

The Cubs losing any games at all is a surprise, no, a SHOCK.

I thought they'd be 7-0 (AT LEAST) by now.

But don't worry, they'll be 20 over by the All-Star break, and they'll probably win the World Series by the end of August.

Believe it folks.

They're THAT GOOD.

Comment

The Phillies terrible start...that has surprised me the most..

And..the Yankees look pedestrian....

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Apr 12 2004, 07:38 PM
                        The Phillies terrible start...that has surprised me the most..

And..the Yankees look pedestrian....
                        the yankees look like a third place team, which i think is fantastic. Fire Joe and let him get paid anyway, I say.
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Working...
                        X