Kerry Flip-Flops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Flip-Flops

At a fundraiser last night, President Bush offered this about the democratic front-runner:

Bush called his Democratic challengers "an interesting group with diverse opinions -- for tax cuts and against them; for NAFTA and against NAFTA; for the Patriot Act and against the Patriot Act; in favor of liberating Iraq and opposed to it."

"And that's just one senator from Massachusetts," he said, a pointed reference to the Democratic front-runner, Sen. John Kerry.
    No matter who you support, you have to admit it was a pretty funny line.

But that said, I think this is a prelude for what is to come as the Republicans begin the long-term process of "characterizing" Kerry. He will be portrayed as a flip-flopper who will say anything to win approval with the voters. While he may have explanations for his seemingly divergent views, I think he will have a tough time making those points in this age of 15 second sound-bites.

How do you all think Kerry will attempt to overcome this Republican strategy? I'm not looking for any flame wars here, just some intellectually honest political debate. Perhaps tomorrow we can focus on the President.

Thanks

Thanks
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Originally posted by FAR52@Feb 24 2004, 09:52 AM

How do you all think Kerry will attempt to overcome this Republican strategy?
    I think he'll continue to say his votes were right, but the administration messed the implementation up. Not sure what he will do when the bring up votes he made during the administrations of democratic presidents.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

In other words, he'll make excuses.

It's a losing strategy.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

In other words, he'll make excuses.

It's a losing strategy
        But, Bush has no choice but to continue using it!
        Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

That's a good line.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

It will be effective, especially if Kerry goes into waffle mode.

Bush has a huge advantage in his thin resume. He's never legislated - the essence of which is tradeoffs. The TX governorship is one of the weakest in the country, and he spent his first 40 years as the life of the party.

Moe
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Feb 24 2004, 12:27 PM
              It will be effective, especially if Kerry goes into waffle mode.

Bush has a huge advantage in his thin resume. He's never legislated - the essence of which is tradeoffs. The TX governorship is one of the weakest in the country, and he spent his first 40 years as the life of the party.

Moe
              You have to admit though, Bush stands by his decisisions, whether they were right or wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time seeing Kerry's credibility. I think Edwards is much more than sincere than Kerry, which is why I'd rather see him win the nomination.
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

W is the anti-Clinton.

Clinton's mind viewed every problem as a Rubik' Cube. He'd stay up all night thinking and talking policy and ideas. Knew everyting cold. And many times he was less than decisive.

W seems to value nothing more than conviction. Doesn't waste a lot of time noodling...gotta get to bed, it's past 9pm. Damn the torpedos. Sure glad God is on our side.

Moe
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Feb 24 2004, 12:46 PM
                  W is the anti-Clinton.

Clinton's mind viewed every problem as a Rubik' Cube. He'd stay up all night thinking and talking policy and ideas. Knew everyting cold. And many times he was less than decisive.

W seems to value nothing more than conviction. Doesn't waste a lot of time noodling...gotta get to bed, it's past 9pm. Damn the torpedos. Sure glad God is on our side.

Moe
                  Are you voting for Clinton this year?

Comment

Clinton's mind viewed every problem as a Rubik' Cube. He'd stay up all night thinking and talking policy and ideas. Knew everyting cold

For real, are you serious Moe?
                    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

>>especially if Kerry goes into waffle mode.<<

What other mode does he have?
                      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Kerry goes into waffle mode.
                        Don't you mean French Toast mode
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Feb 24 2004, 12:51 PM
                          Clinton's mind viewed every problem as a Rubik' Cube. He'd stay up all night thinking and talking policy and ideas. Knew everyting cold

For real, are you serious Moe?
                          Clinton was/is brilliant. His depth of knowledge was/is very well known. He read the newspaper. Bush is a very different guy.

Not voting for Clinton, but Kerry. Thought it a legitimate comparison as the two men are the last two Presidents. Sorry if this threw anyone off.

Moe
                          The Dude abides.

Comment

>>He read the newspaper<<

That explains it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Feb 24 2004, 12:46 PM
                              W is the anti-Clinton.

Moe
                              This is not a bad analysis.

Clinton was a very bright guy. But he didn't seem to have really strong convictions. I think Kerry would be much the same as far as lack of conviction. That's not to say Kerry's as bright as Clinton. I don't believe he is.

Bush is smart to focus on Kerry's flip flopping. Not only is it a good political move, but it's a legitimate concern.

Another line from Bush's speech I enjoyed was when he said some people believe terrorism should be fought exclusively via law enforcement means. He pointed out that was our response to the 1993 bombing at the WTC. He's right. That was the wrong response. And that's an area where he would be smart to differentiate himself from Kerry.
                              "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X