The Official Kentucky Derby Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Kentucky Derby Thread

I know we don't have a lot of horse players on this forum, but even casual fans tend to pay attention to the Kentucky Derby every year. So, with that hope in mind, here's an introduction to ten of the likely twenty horses that will comprimise this year's cast of players.

Tapit. If you like to bet horses because they're gray, this is your horse. If you like to bet horses with names that carry dirty connotations, think taking a piss and bet the ranch. If talented horses trained by talented trainers appeal to you, then this one is worth a sheckel or two. He just won the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct going from last to first on a track in which closers had trouble all day long. He's trained by Michael Dickinson, a mad genius from England, who was able to take a horse who had not run in two years and win the Breeder's Cup Mile. He's never run a horse in the Derby, so you've got to pay attention when he finally chooses to put one there.

The Cliff's Edge. This one's trained by Nick Zito who, along with Bob Baffert and Wayne Lukas, have dominated the Derby for the past fifteen years. He won the Blue Grass Stakes Saturday and earned the highest speed figure (111) of any horse going into the Derby. The likely favorite.

Smarty Jones. The only horse in the past thirty years to go into the Derby undefeated and with as many wins as Seattle Slew is.... Smarty Jones. He's not bred for the classic distance of a mile and a quarter, but he just keeps winning as the races go longer. He won Saturday's Arkansas Derby, and as a consequence, has a chance to win a 5 million dollar bonus (put up by Oaklawn Park) if he wins the Kentucky Derby. He's a Pennsylvania bred, ridden by a no name jockey, and is not well respected by the horse racing media. He's this year's Funny Cide, with his nuts intact.

Lion Heart. A front runner with a lot of heart, he was just beaten by a half of a length by the Cliff's Edge in the Blue Grass. In both of his prep races before the Derby, he was forced to run at a fast pace early, and still was able to run with the closers at the end of the race, just to get nipped at the wire. His big problem is that there is likely to be other front runners in the Derby who will force him to run too fast too early.

Castledale. An Irish horse who had been running on the turf but who was switched over to the dirt for the Santa Anita Derby and stunned most by winning it. Trained by Jeff "Moon" Mullins, who has never won a Derby to date.

Pollard's Vision. Named after the jockey for Sea Biscuit because, like Red Pollard, he can't see out of one of his eyes. He won the Illinois Derby (the same race won by War Emblem prior to his Derby win) going wire to wire, and is trained by Todd Pletcher, a great trainer who has yet to win the Derby.

Friend's Lake. Winner of the Florida Derby who is taking the unusual approach of not running in an April prep race before the Kentucky Derby. He's regally bred but the running time of the Florida Derby was so slow that he will likely be dismissed by many. Don't overlook him - he beat both Tapit and The Cliff's Edge in the Florida Derby.

Imperialism. Finished a very troubled third in the Santa Anita Derby and might have won the race if another horse had not come over and impeded his path home. He's a former claimer, trained by a twenty one year old woman, who might make a better rags to riches story than Smarty Jones.

Wimbledon. Trained by Bob Baffert, this horse looked like a sure fire favorite for the Derby after he won the Louisiana Derby. However, they're still looking to see if he finished the Santa Anita Derby. Baffert loves the spotlight of the Derby and will likely enter him in it despite that dismal showing in California.

Master David. Trained by Robert Frankel, America's most successful trainer over the past five years (in terms of number of stakes wins) and the trainer of last year's triple crown spolier, Empire Maker, he just ran second to Tapit in the Wood Memorial.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

I fookin' love the Derby...great memories....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Master David is a mortal lock.

Bet your house on it.

Then taking your winnings, fly to Vegas and bet everything on red.
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Good to see you again, TBF. Even I watch the Triple Crown!

Comment

Okay, we're inside two weeks to go to the Derby. Let's get the fever started with a trivia question aimed at the locals on this board:

Name the only Missouri bred horse to win the Kentucky Derby?

Comment

Good times. As I've said before, this is one event everyone should try to attend at least once in their lives.

TBF, are you in Louisville?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Apr 19 2004, 10:33 AM
              Good times. As I've said before, this is one event everyone should try to attend at least once in their lives.

TBF, are you in Louisville?
              I'm going for the first time this year. Can't wait. I hear it's a lot of fun. Lots of drinking, gambling, and strip clubs. American.

Comment

If I had a racehorse, I'd name it "Steel Vagina"
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by tigernumbe+Apr 19 2004, 10:37 AM-->
                  QUOTE (tigernumbe @ Apr 19 2004, 10:37 AM)

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 19 2004, 10:38 AM
                  Great name. Would be hard to get by the Jockey Club censors though.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan+Apr 19 2004, 10:42 AM-->
                    QUOTE (tallahassee blues fan @ Apr 19 2004, 10:42 AM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan+Apr 19 2004, 10:43 AM-->
                    QUOTE (tallahassee blues fan @ Apr 19 2004, 10:43 AM)

I agree - that's the strategy. (with regard to going to the Oaks for horses, not the amendment thing)

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 19 2004, 10:38 AM
                      I'd name mine, "Hunglikea"
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Apr 19 2004, 10:45 AM
                        I agree - that's the strategy. (with regard to going to the Oaks for horses, not the amendment thing)
                        cocktease.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

• Working...
                          X