Canadiens fans boo US national anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadiens fans boo US national anthem

I missed this, but apparently the Montreal Canadiens fans booed the US national anthem last nite for the duration of it...anyone catch it?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

What a shock.

Canada's "France Junior" province upset with the US?
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

I don't give a shit about Quebec.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

The latest addition to the world's thinnest books....Quebec's Contributions to World Civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 12 2004, 02:49 PM
          The latest addition to the world's thinnest books....Quebec's Contributions to World Civilization.
          World civilization?

What have they contributed to Canadian history?
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Diversity. Canadians are all bland, except for the Quebecois, who are assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Apr 12 2004, 01:47 PM
              What a shock.

Canada's "France Junior" province upset with the US?
              loooook mommy..the damtoft is funny!
              Are you on the list?

Comment

I was watching and I really didn't notice the booing, although I was only paying marginal attention at that point. What I did notice was that the guy who sang the anthems was really, really good.

I have a very strong disliking of people from Montreal. I was up there for a tournament when I was 15 and the people really couldn't have been much ruder to us. Absolutely the rudest people, as a whole, I've ever encountered, and coming from Boston that says a lot. From the moment we stepped off the bus there was a definite palpable feeling of discomfort.

They also have a big time superiority complex up there. You could just sense that they thought that we were beneath them. You'd be standing next to a couple of them, they'd say a few words in French to each other, then start snickering. I have a friend who was raised just outside the city and she hates going home to visit because of how pretentious the people in Montreal are.
                Official Lounge Sponsor:
                Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

You could just sense that they thought that we were beneath them. You'd be standing next to a couple of them, they'd say a few words in French to each other, then start snickering.
                  Common in Paris. This is why every American should learn to say "Suck my American dick" en Francais.

Comment

No suprise that we are not popular in much of the rest of the world these days, but that's the price paid for doing God's work, eh? I think we'll survive...

Moe
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

They've booed our national anthem ever since we went to war with Iraq. They first started doing it during the 2002 playoffs. This isn't anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 12 2004, 03:14 PM
                        They've booed our national anthem ever since we went to war with Iraq. They first started doing it during the 2002 playoffs. This isn't anything new.
                        Thanks...already knew that they did it back then....hadn't heard anything aboot it happening recently, hence why I asked....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I heard a Canadian comment that the Bruins fans booed the Canadian anthem.. Can anyone verify that?

"
                          Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

They'll keep booing us until they need us to defend their wimpasses, then they'll be our best friends.

Asscakes.
                            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I watched the anthem and didn't hear the booing. I agree with Lippa--the guy who sang it was very good.

But I always thought this was more of a rivalry thing than a national thing. Haven't the Bruins and Canadiens fans long had a tradition of booing the other anthem when the teams play each other?

One thing I remember being struck by during the Blues-Canucks series last year was the way the Vancouver fans cheered the U.S. anthem.

Comment

Working...
                              X