Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data Recovery Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Data Recovery Question

    I have a computer here at work whose hard drive has lost its mind. I’m fairly confident that the data is still there, but for some reason Windows doesn’t recognize that the hard drive has been formatted. I’ve scanned the drive with a File Undelete (FastFileUndelete was the name) tool, and it will recover the files, but it doesn’t maintain any directory structure.

    Does anyone know of any good tools for this kind of thing?

    Thanks in advance,

    T
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Feb 24 2004, 09:37 AM
    I have a computer here at work whose hard drive has lost its mind. I’m fairly confident that the data is still there, but for some reason Windows doesn’t recognize that the hard drive has been formatted. I’ve scanned the drive with a File Undelete (FastFileUndelete was the name) tool, and it will recover the files, but it doesn’t maintain any directory structure.

    Does anyone know of any good tools for this kind of thing?

    Thanks in advance,

    T
    How much money do you want to spend?

    You can download tools off the internet for less than $100 to make the magic happen. Ontrack sells something that is very good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sadly, we’ve had a rash of Quantum drives going out, so it is going to be worth it to invest some $$$.
      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's just files, Brewster...let 'em go...if they decide to come back, it was meant to be...
        . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
        -mike
        mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Feb 24 2004, 09:37 AM
          I have a computer here at work whose hard drive has lost its mind. I’m fairly confident that the data is still there, but for some reason Windows doesn’t recognize that the hard drive has been formatted. I’ve scanned the drive with a File Undelete (FastFileUndelete was the name) tool, and it will recover the files, but it doesn’t maintain any directory structure.

          Does anyone know of any good tools for this kind of thing?

          Thanks in advance,

          T
          I've always had good luck with R-Studio. I'm not sure how it brings in files on a damaged disk, but when I used it to recover deleted files, they were recovered in their original directory structure.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OldSchoolStroker@Feb 24 2004, 09:41 AM
            It's just files, Brewster...let 'em go...if they decide to come back, it was meant to be...
            President of the company – nothing backed up, of course. They don’t have a choice but to come back.
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

            Comment


            • #7
              You know, I've had some problems with this on friends/relatives computers, and it just turns out their boot sector was all fucked up. I was able to install it as a slave drive on a Win2k or XP machine and when that machine booted up, it recognized the new drive and ran a checkdisk. It's fixed the problem all 3 times I've tried. And the messed up disks have had no problems since. Might be worth a shot.

              What is the error message you get when you try to boot it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Load DLLs needed for kernel
                The drive is in another machine as slave. I'm going to try the chkdsk...
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

                Comment


                • #9
                  chkdsk on a 30 GB drive just finished in 15 seconds.
                  If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Feb 24 2004, 09:54 AM
                    chkdsk on a 30 GB drive just finished in 15 seconds.
                    what? That's either a hoss machine, or something's very wrong. Not recognizing the file system at all?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It is a fast machine, but not that fast.

                      That’s been the problem….The drive was formatted NTFS, but now XP is recognizing it as a FAT32 partition…..
                      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Feb 24 2004, 10:01 AM
                        It is a fast machine, but not that fast.

                        That’s been the problem….The drive was formatted NTFS, but now XP is recognizing it as a FAT32 partition…..
                        ruh,ro.

                        I'll assume then that checkdisk did nothing. I'll put a call into our NT team and find out what product they use for data recovery on a bad disk.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had this problem recently. What windows version are you using to read the drive? If possible, try using an NTFS system (win2K, winNT 4.0) and also use a FAT system (WIN98, WINME). I had an NTFS drive that somehow got out of whack and was unrecognizable. I was teased by those file recovery tools on the net that let you see what they can do, then when you actually try to do it they want to get DEEP into your pocket - bastards. Anyhow, I installed WIN98 on another drive and converted the bad drive to FAT with the tool on the 98 cd and all was good.

                          But, if you want to be absolutley sure buck up for one of the tools. I don't trust Windows built in tools.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chazzz@Feb 24 2004, 10:05 AM
                            I had this problem recently. What windows version are you using to read the drive? If possible, try using an NTFS system (win2K, winNT 4.0) and also use a FAT system (WIN98, WINME). I had an NTFS drive that somehow got out of whack and was unrecognizable. I was teased by those file recovery tools on the net that let you see what they can do, then when you actually try to do it they want to get DEEP into your pocket - bastards. Anyhow, I installed WIN98 on another drive and converted the bad drive to FAT with the tool on the 98 cd and all was good.

                            But, if you want to be absolutley sure buck up for one of the tools. I don't trust Windows built in tools.
                            Windows sucks.

                            You can't convert back to FAT32 once you've gone to NTFS right? Did you lose any data by making it a FAT32? That would be my biggest concern.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You can't go back to FAT32 once you've converted to NTFS (I'm fairly positive of that). This is the strangest thing - I did nothing to make the drive FAT32....
                              If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X