Prior Status Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Status Rumors

MARK PRIOR'S right elbow injury could be serious enough to require Tommy John surgery and keep him out for the whole year, according to the word circulating among baseball executives. Cubs manager DUSTY BAKER , who has a tendency to leave his starters in for extremely high pitch counts, has been confiding in friends that the situation is bleak. Losing Prior for an extended time would obviously be a big blow for the Cubs, who don't have a lot of wiggle room in their payroll budget to trade for another starter.
    source

Found this link and story on BOTB...

Of course this is every cub fans' greatest fear so who knows if this started with a legit source or just some radio show host skeptic.

It will be interesting what the cubs decide to do here. Will they decide to leave Prior on the shelf or keep telling thenselves and the public that he will be fine and ultimately push him too far?
    Of course you do.

That certainly sucks for Chicago...

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Is a rotation of Wood, Maddux, Zambrano, Clement, and whoever good enough to make the playoffs? I think it is, in theory. But they won't win in the playoffs without Prior.

Anyway, this is the season of great promise for the Cubs, which is why I think they're in for the greatest letdown in their sorry history. These sorts of things make that possibility all the more likely.

Comment

As much as I hate the Cubs, I want to see the best players PLAY.

This is sad, if true.
        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Maybe the Cubs will rush him back in 2005 and the Cardinals will actually be able to hit him for once.

Comment

As much as I hate the Cubs, I want to see the best players PLAY.
            I really agree with you in many ways here...you have to feel bad for Prior and in a vacuum, I love watching the guy pitch - though I don't like seeing the cubs win.
            Of course you do.

Comment

If Prior was going to be needing TJS (and the Cubs organization knew it), why would he have been throwing off flat ground today, as MLB.com says? Exactly which "Baseball executives" are saying this? And as far as I know, his Achilles is the only reason he's on the DL, not his elbow.

Right now, this doesn't hold any more water for me than Blackjack McDowell's wild steroid accusations.....that may change if someone actually corroborates it.

Faced with the prospect of Prior being out for the entire season, I would concede that it would do some serious damage to the Cubs' playoff hopes.

Comment

While I agree that there is going to have to confimation to this rumor before I believe it, it's not at all out of the realm of reality for one of a couple things to be possible here:

- The cubs are looking that this and saying "Yes, he might need TJS, but let's try throwing him again today and see how it goes. Everything might be fine..." It is strange what a team starved for a possible championship might push themselves to do.

- The cubs are flat out lying or at the least fabricating about how serious the injury is or isn't. I think that has happened before, as we know all too well.

As Dev said, in theory, this team is good enough to make the playoffs with the pitching staff they have, sans Prior. However, they have headcases of varying degrees between Wood, Clement, and Zambrano, so who knows what happens from here.
                Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise@Apr 11 2004, 05:53 PM
                  If Prior was going to be needing TJS (and the Cubs organization knew it), why would he have been throwing off flat ground today, as MLB.com says? Exactly which "Baseball executives" are saying this? And as far as I know, his Achilles is the only reason he's on the DL, not his elbow.

Right now, this doesn't hold any more water for me than Blackjack McDowell's wild steroid accusations.....that may change if someone actually corroborates it.

Faced with the prospect of Prior being out for the entire season, I would concede that it would do some serious damage to the Cubs' playoff hopes.
                  Prior has been quoted as saying the elbow is of more concern than the heel.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 11 2004, 06:34 PM
                    Maybe the Cubs will rush him back in 2005 and the Cardinals will actually be able to hit him for once.
                    Pujols already can.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 11 2004, 06:30 PM
                      Is a rotation of Wood, Maddux, Zambrano, Clement, and whoever good enough to make the playoffs? I think it is, in theory. But they won't win in the playoffs without Prior.

Anyway, this is the season of great promise for the Cubs, which is why I think they're in for the greatest letdown in their sorry history. These sorts of things make that possibility all the more likely.
                      That rotation without Prior might still be good enough to beat the Cards but if Prior is out that makes the Astros solid favorites.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Latest here from Chicago this morning insinuates that Chicago Cubs management is dispensing information in increments, each Prior injury-update installment pushing his return back a little more each time. Supposedly, now, the planned date is early to mid June because of elbow discomfort, in addition to the achilles problem. Prior has indicated he will need approximately 6 weeks before he can begin pitching as he would in spring training preparation drills before even thinking about joining the rotation.

Meanwhile, sports radio hosts are trumpeting the successful arrival of Mitre as the hole-plugger because of his recent outing against Atlanta. This morning each station was boasting a "No worries" stance because of Chicago's depth, and the lack of a overwhelming team in the Central (Pettitte hurt in Houston), Cardinals' insignificance along with Milwaukee and Cincinnati playing over their heads and inability to maintain pace. As far as the denizens here are concerned, Prior's absence is of little worry since all the Cubs have to do is play .500 ball until his return and the club's return to dominance.

Listening to this shit is sickening. And toss into the mix opening day here at Wrigley, and, well, you get the idea...
                        "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Cardinals' insignificance
                          those fluckers.

Can't wait till womack and lankford get a chance at those powderpuffs.
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Apr 12 2004, 09:25 AM
                            Latest here from Chicago this morning insinuates that Chicago Cubs management is dispensing information in increments, each Prior injury-update installment pushing his return back a little more each time. Supposedly, now, the planned date is early to mid June because of elbow discomfort, in addition to the achilles problem. Prior has indicated he will need approximately 6 weeks before he can begin pitching as he would in spring training preparation drills before even thinking about joining the rotation.

Meanwhile, sports radio hosts are trumpeting the successful arrival of Mitre as the hole-plugger because of his recent outing against Atlanta. This morning each station was boasting a "No worries" stance because of Chicago's depth, and the lack of a overwhelming team in the Central (Pettitte hurt in Houston), Cardinals' insignificance along with Milwaukee and Cincinnati playing over their heads and inability to maintain pace. As far as the denizens here are concerned, Prior's absence is of little worry since all the Cubs have to do is play .500 ball until his return and the club's return to dominance.

Listening to this shit is sickening. And toss into the mix opening day here at Wrigley, and, well, you get the idea...
                            You gotta love all that fluff....

"There is no trend. No worries!"

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Apr 12 2004, 09:25 AM

The words "maybe next season" will be used at some point in August by these same radio personalities.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                              X