Most unique game you ever saw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most unique game you ever saw.

I was at the game when Bob Forsch threw his no hitter in St. Louis.

I was at the game when Big Mack hit 62 to pass Maris.

However, when I think about it yesterday tops them all.

Pujols his 2 home runs in the game - this might happen 8 times this year for the birds.

Luna in his first at bat - hits a home run - only happened six times in Cardinal history.

Mckay - the backup catcher throws two shut out innings only allowing one walke.
    I bet that has happended less than five times in Cardinal history too.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I was there yesterday. Seeing "52" on the radar gun was awesome.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Apr 9 2004, 01:50 PM
      I was there yesterday. Seeing "52" on the radar gun was awesome.
      Seeing 52 on the radar gun and a ground ball to second was even better. That was unbelievable.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

No ball was hit with bad intentions at all against McKay. A couple of lazy fly balls and some grounders. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another game.
        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I recall a unique situation, which I've only seen once or twice since. Bottom of the ninth, tie game, Cards vs. Expos, circa 1971. Bases loaded, don't remember how many outs, but they brought the center fielder in to play in the hole between first and second.

Brock was up, and looked at an outfield of one guy in left center and one guy in right center....and promptly scorched a one-hopper over the first base bag to win it.

Comment

I saw Big Mac hit three dingers in a game in Philly.
            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

I've posted this before, but the most "unique" game I ever saw was when Joaquin Andujar hit a Grand Slam lefthanded against the Braves.

He was asked why he batted lefthanded and he said something to the effect of, when he wanted to hit for power, he batted lefthanded.

He was a natural right handed hitter.

Comment

(Some of the details in the following post may be incorrect - It was a long time ago.)

I went to a double-header against the Dodgers... I believe it was '87. The teams were scheduled to play 4 games in 3 days, and it was L.A.'s last trip into town. The first game was rained out. Now they had to play back-to-back doubleheaders. I went to the first one, scheduled for a 5:05 start. Rain delayed the start of game one until almost 8. The Cardinals rallied late to win, thanks to TWO Mickey Hatcher errors in the 7th inning, which led to two runs. I was quite pleased, because I despised Mickey Hatcher. Also, Worrell pitched around a leadoff triple in the 9th by Sax, preserving a one-run win.

The second game didn't START until almost 11. In the bottom of the ninth inning, at 2:30 AM, the immortal STEVE LAKE jacked a two-run homer to tie the game, and send it to extras. There were about 600 people left in the ballpark, and we were all hugging complete strangers. It was at about this time, that I actually ran into my cousin, as we had both moved down behind home plate, like everybody else.

In the 10th, the Cards got a man on, and Tom Lawless tried to bunt, but forced the runner. He immediately stole second. Tommy Lasorda, who had apparently learned nothing from 1985, pitched to Jack Clark with a base open again, and just before 3 AM, Clark singled home Lawless with the winning run. I was never so tired and happy.

The Cards proceeded to sweep the doulbeheader the next night, part of a nine-game winning streak accomplished over only 8 calender days.

I miss the 80's.

Kevin

Comment

I've posted this before, but the most "unique" game I ever saw was when Joaquin Andujar hit a Grand Slam lefthanded against the Braves.
                  I was at that game. Went right over the RF wagon gate.

Remember how he used to refer to himself as "our other power hitter?"

Comment

I went to Ryne Sandberg's last game. It wasn't something the family was planning, but it just happened to fall on Fan Appreciation Day at Busch. Maybe not game related, but it doesn't get much more unique than that.

I was also in the stands for Big Mac's 60th (yeah, that's right, I missed the Cubs' series and #62 by a couple days). Still a thrill though.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 9 2004, 02:40 PM
                      I was at that game. Went right over the RF wagon gate.

Remember how he used to refer to himself as "our other power hitter?"
                      Yep, you're correct. Right over the wagon gate. That was one of those National Tavern Night promotions. I remember I rode down in a rented school bus with my Dad who worked at Chrysler with a bunch of his buddies. Keg of beer in the back.

I was only 10 or 12 probably. Good times.

Comment

Game 6 of the 2002 World Series. I find it hard to believe I'll ever be fortunate enough to attend such a great game again.

I'll also throw in the Sunday nighter last August between the Cards and the Braves. Woody Williams and Horacio Ramirez dueled to a 2-1 Atlanta lead in the last of the eighth. Eduardo Perez hit a pinch homer off Ramirez, Cox went to Smoltz, and on Smoltz's first pitch, Pujols hammered a home run to put the Cards up by the final score, 3-2. Rafael Furcal turned an unassisted triple play in that game also but unfortunately for BBZ, he was in line at the concession stand when it occurred.

I also was at the marathon, rain game in Boston last season when the Cards led 5-2 going to the last of the ninth, the Red Sox tied it in the ninth, then the Cards went up 8-5 in the 13th and hung on to win 8-7. The very next night, I was at Yankee Stadium for the Cards first game against the Yankees since the '64 Series, when Roger Clemens struck out his 4000th batter (Edgar Renteria) and won his 300th game.

Comment

I saw Gibson pitch a shutout and hit a grand slam

I saw Ted Simmons hit a line drive over the 414 mark..hardest ball Ive ever seen hit....it was just a laser

I saw Rick Ankiel go bonkers vs the Mets throwing I don't know how many wild pitches in the 2000 playoffs

I saw Al Hrabosky strike out the side wearing an eye patch

I saw Dave Dravecky 2 hit the Cards on nothing but guile and sheer guts in the 1987 playoffs
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

The June 23rd, 1984 game between Cubs and Cards in Wrigley. Sandberg hits 2 homers off Sutter to help propel the Cubs to the division crown. I barely missed catching the 2nd home run. If I had, it would have been tossed back onto the field.

Also, Willie McGee hits for the cycle and absolutely nobody sitting in the bleachers around me knew it. I started shouting that he just hit for the cycle and how rare it was. To say the least, very few Cub fans cared. What a game!
                            *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Game Four of the 2002 NLCS, in Pac Bell. Not a happy memory, but I've never seen a stadium shaking and rocking like Pac Bell was that night. Still can't believe Prince Albert whiffed with one out and the tying run on third.

I've told this story before, but the most memorable Cards game I've ever seen was one I didn't see. I could have gone to the game in San Diego the night Bud Smith threw his no-hitter, but I was coming off a duty day and I was tired, so I decided to stay home and watch it on TV. I can't really describe my mixed feelings of excitement as Bud got the no-no, combined with my feelings of self-disgust for not going.

Comment

Working...
                              X