Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.C. will fully fund park to land Expos

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1779131

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

>>City officials have prepared a new plan they say offers Major League Baseball exactly what it has requested -- 100 percent public financing for a new ballpark if the Expos are moved to the nation's capital<<

Nice to see a government with their priorities in order :angry: :angry:
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

then move colorado to the AL west
      Are you on the list?

Comment

How wealthy a franchise is Baltimore? It seems to me that a very big problem with major league baseball is the way owners of wealthy franchises with huge markets are protected from competition which is forced to settle for smaller markets. The New York area could support another franchise and the Baltimore-Washington area could support both. Would it knock down some of the financial advantage which Steinbrenner and Angelo enjoy? Not enough. Wouldn't hurt. I hope the D.C. franchise happens---it would be good for baseball to stand up to its most privileged class.
        v

Comment

It would be great for a National League team to be in DC and reclaim the Senators mantle...

A team needs to go in the carolinas.....

A team could probably do well in Nashville or somewhere on the gulf coast...

A team would do well in Portland
          Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Apr 9 2004, 01:38 PM
            A team would do well in Portland
            That's what I've always thought.

I would guess that putting the Expos in D.C. would steal some of Baltimore's market. Why not put a team in Portland?
            I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Apr 9 2004, 01:35 PM
              It seems to me that a very big problem with major league baseball is the way owners of wealthy franchises with huge markets are protected from competition which is forced to settle for smaller markets. The New York area could support another franchise and the Baltimore-Washington area could support both.
              I agree wholeheartedly. As one time, the league had 16 teams and New York had three of them! I am no mathmetician, but that means that New York has close to 20% of the teams in baseball.

While New York's metropolitan population has grown dramatically over the last 50+ years, NY currently only represents about 6% of the MLB teams. Moving one of the current failing teams to NY and moving the Expos to the BAL/DC area would go along way toward improving competitive balance and limiting the Steinbrenner pseudo-monopoly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedley Lamarr+Apr 9 2004, 01:45 PM-->
                QUOTE (Hedley Lamarr @ Apr 9 2004, 01:45 PM)

Originally posted by kaiser+Apr 9 2004, 01:45 PM-->
                QUOTE (kaiser @ Apr 9 2004, 01:45 PM)

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Apr 9 2004, 01:49 PM-->
                QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Apr 9 2004, 01:49 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2004, 01:45 PM

I don't care where the Expos wind up.

I'm concerned about any government that agrees to foot the entire bill to get a pro sports team.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I would like to see it cut to 24 teams and 3 of them should be in New York. If you saw the Cardinals play the Dodgers in the mid fifties, you saw one eighth or more of the greatest players on earth suited up for the game. When the Cardinals play the Dodgers nowadays, you might see one sixteenth or less of the world's finest. There are a lot of cities which should not have major league franchises.
                  v

Comment

• Working...
                    X