Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD
    replied
    Peter King reports the deal has been agreed upon--Denver gets Champ Bailey and the Redskins' second round pick and Washington gets Clinton Portis. It will not be official until both Bailey and Portis agree to a new contract with their new teams and that might not be easy for Denver to do with Bailey.

If it happens, good deal for Denver, and I like it even less for Washington now because I found out that the Redskins will only have two picks in the entire draft.

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    The Denver Broncos have discussed trading Clinton Portis to the Redskins for Champ Bailey, and all indications are a deal will be consummated.
    "It was enjoyable playing with the Broncos," Portis told radio station KKFN-AM in an interview Monday night. "If this is the end of my stay, I had a great time."
    Portis said he considers himself the best running back in football -- he rushed for 1,591 yards last year despite missing three games with chest and ankle injuries -- and he'd like to be paid as such. Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. He made $300,000 last season.

The Broncos-Redskins talks amount to a swap of two Pro Bowl players upset with their contracts. In addition, Denver would possibly receive one of Washington's two first-round picks in the April draft, ESPN.com has learned.

If the trade becomes official, it would be announced March 3, the day the league's trading period begins.

Meanwhile, the Jets jumped in the act for Bailey on Tuesday, offering a package of defensive end Shaun Ellis, tight end Anthony Becht and tailback LaMont Jordan to Washington, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports.

The Portis-for-Bailey deal would make sense because the Redskins went last season without an every-down running back, a must in the run-oriented system favored by new coach Joe Gibbs. Trung Canidate led the Redskins with 600 yards rushing, followed by Rock Cartwright (411), Ladell Betts (255) and Chad Morton (216).

Jack Reale, Bailey's agent, said the Redskins also have talked with Detroit, Houston, Chicago and Arizona.

"We have had preliminary discussions with the Broncos and with other teams as well, just on the broad outlines of a contract," Reale said. "I can't go into detail until I know what team we're going to be dealing with."

Redskins director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato said Tuesday that he also is talking to four other teams concerning Bailey, including one that contacted him Tuesday morning.

The Redskins have protected Bailey, who can become a free agent on March 3, by designating him their franchise player. That means the Redskins must make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender, the average of the top five players at his position.

Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. Displeased with the money he made last season, he has hinted he might be a holdout when training camp starts unless the Broncos rework his deal.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Feb 24 2004, 12:19 PM
    dev, you're awful high on Bailey and low on Portis.

I'm quite the opposite.

I lobbied for the Rams to draft Bailey when he was available in the 1999 draft, and they picked Holt instead. This year was the first time I finally admitted that they were right.

Meanwhile, Portis is the best young RB in football. He'd be probably the first or second player I'd draft to start a franchise today.
    I'm not low on Portis at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think he's probably the best West Coast Offense in the league and, all things considered (age, injury history, production) he'd be one of my top three running backs if I were starting a team today (along with Tomlinson and McAllister).

And, for that matter, I don't know that I'm necessarily high on Champ Bailey. I think he hasn't quite earned the reputation he has, although I definitely admit that part of that is because the Redskins have never had a good pass rush and so he's had to cover longer than the other top cornerbacks have.

My whole belief system on this trade is predicated on the necessary ingredients to winning a Super Bowl and I think the last four years (and really, the last five) have quite clearly displayed that a great offense isn't necessary for winning the Super Bowl because a great offense will almost always eventually run into a great defense in the playoffs and the great defense will almost always greatly slow down the great offense, be it by limiting their yards or creating turnovers. Thus, I believe teams should look for a reliable quarterback who doesn't make mistakes and is a good leader, a reliable running back who can move the chains, reliable receivers who can go over the middle, and spend the big money on defensive players, especially at cornerback, defensive tackle, and defensive end. It's not possible to have a great offense AND a great defense in the cap era, except for maybe one year if you have a young defense that grows together and becomes dominant right as all of their contracts are up and they're due for big raises.

The issue here isn't how good a running back Clinton Portis is or how good a cornerback Champ Bailey is; both are among the very best at their position. The issue here is, if the goal is to win the Super Bowl, what is more valuable when it comes to reaching that goal, a great cornerback or a great running back? I don't think there is any doubt that a great cornerback is more valuable.

The Redskins, over the next few years if this deal happens, are going to have quite a bit of money invested on the offensive side of the ball between Mark Brunell, Patrick Ramsey, Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, Dave Fiore, and Laveranues Coles. I don't see how they're going to be able to build a great defense with all that money committed to offense. The Redskins should make the playoffs pretty soon with that unit but if they run into a great defense in January, I have no doubt whatsoever that they'll lose.

I wouldn't trade Bailey for Portis, McAllister, Lewis, Green, Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, Holmes, Faulk, or whatever other great running back, because corners are more valuable than running backs.

Leave a comment:

• Cubs4ever
    replied
    I can agree with the Ray Lewis and Manning arguements, and with respect to LT, I think I would still take Portis, although LT is more durable and catches well to, hmm....

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Feb 24 2004, 02:26 PM-->
    QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Feb 24 2004, 02:26 PM)

• BringBackZezel
    replied
    Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Feb 24 2004, 02:21 PM
    BBZ is right, you don't go trading a guy like Clinton. Outside of Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning, he is the best in the game.
    If I were starting a franchise, Jamal Lewis would be the only player in the NFL I'd pick before Portis.

Manning and Ray Lewis are GREAT players, but 5 and 6 years older, respectively.

Leave a comment:

• Cubs4ever
    replied
    BBZ is right, you don't go trading a guy like Clinton. Outside of Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning, he is the best in the game.

Leave a comment:

• BringBackZezel
    replied
    dev, you're awful high on Bailey and low on Portis.

I'm quite the opposite.

I lobbied for the Rams to draft Bailey when he was available in the 1999 draft, and they picked Holt instead. This year was the first time I finally admitted that they were right.

Meanwhile, Portis is the best young RB in football. He'd be probably the first or second player I'd draft to start a franchise today.

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    Originally posted by big_dawg160@Feb 24 2004, 11:49 AM
    Denver needs much more help on Defense than they do at RB.
    So does Washington.

Trading Bailey for Portis is a short-sighted move on the Redskins part, but that is to be expected because almost all of their moves since Snyder bought the team have been short-sighted.

Leave a comment:

• Neutered Cat
    replied
    Trading a cancer for a cancer always works out for both teams.

Leave a comment:

• big_dawg160
    replied
    The jets dont have anything compared to what Portis will give the Skins. Portis is a stud, plain and simple. Great trade for both teams. Just from playing fantasy football, you know whatever back is starting in Denver is going to put up amazing numbrs. Portis wants to hold out, OK, we'll stick somebody else at RB. Denver needs much more help on Defense than they do at RB.

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    Shaun Ellis, Lamont Jordan and...someone I'm forgetting.

I tend to think the Jets offer is better because of Ellis but I doubt an offensive guy like Gibbs would agree.

Leave a comment:

• bigJOE
    replied
    what are the jets offering?

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    The Jets have entered the Champ Bailey sweepstakes.

Leave a comment:

• CD
    replied
    Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Feb 24 2004, 08:54 AM
    really setting Plummer up for another fall.

He has a dirt old TE, two WR's who are losing it, and Ashley Lelie, who has skills, but can't catch shit, now without Clinton, they may suck.
    Denver has too much money committed in offense as it is. When Portis cashes in, they're going to have way too much money committed in offense.

I have no doubt that Shanahan can find a replacement for Portis anyway. He is the running back master.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X