Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Save Baseball Discussion....

1) No designated hitter, but increase all the rosters by one position
    2) A salary cap that would guarantee performance bonuses, pay into a pension plan via profit sharing, keep guaranteed contracts but allow for a buyout during some kind of injuries, slightly increase minor league salaries BUT do a better job of allowing teams to keep franchise players
    3) A better TV contract...there should be a primetime double header once a week....jump in bed with UPN or the WB...some network that doesn't have a national news broadcast...Saturday should be 10-12 hours of baseball on a major network....abc/fox
    4) No designated hitter
    5) A third party testing agency that would conduct random testing for any performance enhancing drugs
    6) Realign the divisions....at the very minimum offer the Expos to Portland and move them to the AL west, and Pittsburgh to the AL East, creating five team divisions. Expand by two more teams and create four four team divisions in each leage, and eliminate the wild card. I would advocate moving Denver to the AL as well and expanding the NL by two teams.
    7) You gamble, you cheat, you do anything to affect the integrity of the game, you forfeit your salary and you are benched for a year....do it twice and your banned for life

Realingment thoughts...

NL West/Pacific...San Fran, Los Ang, San Diego, Az
    NL Central/Midwest...STL, ChiC, Mil, Hou
    NL Southeast/Southcentral...Cin, Atl, Fla, EXP team (New Orleans/Tennesse/Gulf Coast/Carolinas)
    NL East/Atlantic...NYM, Phil, Pit, EXP (Wash...with the script 'W' or No Va/ Carolinas)

AL West...portland, Ana, Seattle, Oak
    AL West/central...KC, Colorado, TX, Minn
    AL Central/whatever...ChiS, Det, Cle, Tor
    AL East...Balt, TB, NYY, Bos

just my thoughts
    Are you on the list?

I wouldn't expand. Instead, I'd contract to 28 teams, dumping the Expos and Devil Rays. Then I'd move Colorado to the AL so there are 14 teams in each league. Then I'd have two seven-team divisions with no wild card.

Comment

Didnt know Portland had a team, Sluey..

DH...agree. Needs to be dropped. But what would Palmiero and Giambi do??

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Apr 8 2004, 09:16 PM

see...MOVE THE EXPOS TO PORTLAND
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Apr 8 2004, 09:16 PM

Giambi would start taking steroids again..
          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Wang:

Giambi is playing first base this year. So is Palmeiro.

Better question: What would Edgar Martinez do?

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 8 2004, 09:16 PM
              I wouldn't expand. Instead, I'd contract to 28 teams, dumping the Expos and Devil Rays. Then I'd move Colorado to the AL so there are 14 teams in each league. Then I'd have two seven-team divisions with no wild card.
              I think now that the genie is out of the bottle, the only way to make it work is to enforce a competitive balance that makes sense. Four team divisions would be more likely to have wacky pennant races which keeps asses in the seats until the end
              Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 8 2004, 09:19 PM
                Wang:

Giambi is playing first base this year. So is Palmeiro.

Better question: What would Edgar Martinez do?
                Ironic...isnt it.

The Last grasp of a wounded DH...1st Base.

Comment

Well, Palmeiro and Giambi have been first basemen for a long time. Giambi always played first base when he was on the Athletics and Palmeiro was a gold glover at first earlier in his career. I don't think Palmeiro did much DHing until 2000 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 8 2004, 09:22 PM
                    Well, Palmeiro and Giambi have been first basemen for a long time. Giambi always played first base when he was on the Athletics and Palmeiro was a gold glover at first earlier in his career. I don't think Palmeiro did much DHing until 2000 or so.
                    I know...

It's just funny that both were 1B...then moved to DH...and back to 1B.

DH is a crime against everything that is good and right in baseball.

Sluey..I dont think Portland would be a good city for Baseball...I think Las Vegas would be a better spot and the could be in the West.

Comment

No major league will ever put a team in Vegas.

Comment

Palmeiro beat Weeno for the Gold Glove in 1999 and played grand total of 28 games @first base.

I always thought of that when Shannon kept telling me about how great Weeno was/is with the glove.
                        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 8 2004, 09:27 PM
                          No major league will ever put a team in Vegas.
                          Conflict of interest...

Because of the potential for baseball to be corrupted??

I think that's bullshix...

The largest growing city in America...no sports teams at all??

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Apr 8 2004, 09:26 PM
                            Sluey..I dont think Portland would be a good city for Baseball...I think Las Vegas would be a better spot and the could be in the West.
                            Portland is fighting to get the Expos now....they are as deserving a market as any, and they would make sense, geographically.
                            Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi+Apr 8 2004, 09:29 PM-->
                              QUOTE (Indu WangZi @ Apr 8 2004, 09:29 PM)
                              Working...
                              X