Virus help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus help

Okay, so the woman thing is a little harsh. But my wife opened a virus tonight in an email sent to us. I think those in our address book have now possibly been affected.

The virus put zip files and some type of application files all over our computer. There are these types of files in almost every folder on my computer.

Any suggestions?

I've deleted thousands of them so far. But there has to be an easier way.

Thanks in advance.

Dload AVg virus center and run it now.

Also, go here and run this. It wil help as much as anything that is free.

What kind of virus was it? What was the name?
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I actually don't know. I deleted the file as quickly as possible thinking that would save it from going to others in our address file.

Stupid, I know. But Outlook was acting very funny when I tried to open it, so I tried to delete it quickly.

I have Symantec that I thought would catch it. It probably deleted the file once I ran a scan. It's found one that way. It's still searching thanks to all the new files. 2 hours and counting...

Comment

I'd say 'Get a Mac', but that won't help you right now....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Jack...I ran the HouseCall thing. So far it's found 7 of the mydoom viruses. It won't clean them though. They say non-cleanable!

Comment

7 was only the beginning. It looks like it's recognizing all of the zip files as the mydoom files.

It's over 500 now.

And this is after I've deleted around 3,000 myself.

Comment

From Microsoft
              If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Feb 23 2004, 11:21 PM
                From Microsoft
                Okay....I did that and it said no infection detected. Does that mean that the virus itself is gone even though the files are still around?

Comment

I can honestly say I don't know. I've never had to use the MS tool....

I would try to update the virus definitions for Norton, and then do a full system scan.
                  If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

housecall is the best.

Keep deleting them via that program.

Good luck
                    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

Apparently there's a new mydoom thread going around, and that's what we got.

Update your virus protection now. Mine didn't catch it. But boy is it now.

Comment

Working...
                        X