GM must restate results for 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM must restate results for 2001

big deal, ominous...they may have entered the death spiral...

NEWS ALERT
    from The Wall Street Journal

Nov. 9, 2005

General Motors, whose accounting has been under scrutiny by the SEC, said it must restate financial results for 2001 and possibly subsequent years, in the latest blow to the beleagured auto giant and its embattled CEO, Rick Wagoner. GM's admission came as its shares fell to their lowest level since November 1992.
    The Dude abides.

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Nov 9 2005, 06:29 PM) Quoted post

big deal, ominous...they may have entered the death spiral...

NEWS ALERT
    from The Wall Street Journal

Nov. 9, 2005

General Motors, whose accounting has been under scrutiny by the SEC, said it must restate financial results for 2001 and possibly subsequent years, in the latest blow to the beleagured auto giant and its embattled CEO, Rick Wagoner. GM's admission came as its shares fell to their lowest level since November 1992.
    [/b][/quote]
    Taxpayers, get ready.

Comment

Dude, I'm a a stud. I own a couple airlines and about to get me struggling auto manufacturer. If that goes well, I might buy me a whole city, party town of course, like New Orleans.
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Stick a fork in GM...they are just about done. Doesnt help that they cant design or manufacture a car (not truck or SUV) that anyone wants to buy.

And..I hope the government doesnt expect the tax payers to bail this POS company out.

What was the issue with their accounting? Were their sales and net income over-stated due to not recognising warranties as a liability? Any details???

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Nov 9 2005, 07:22 PM) Quoted post

Stick a fork in GM...they are just about done. Doesnt help that they cant design or manufacture a car (not truck or SUV) that anyone wants to buy.

And..I hope the government doesnt expect the tax payers to bail this POS company out.

What was the issue with their accounting? Were their sales and net income over-stated due to not recognising warranties as a liability? Any details???
          [/b][/quote]
          From the article (By the way, WSJ Online is free this week):

GM said it overstated income for 2001 by as much as $300 million to $400 million -- equivalent to about 50% of the profit it reported at the time -- by "erroneously" booking credits from suppliers[/b][/quote]

GM didn't specify Wednesday whether its plans a restatement for 2001 involved Delphi transactions. GM has recently disclosed that the SEC is investigating issues involving its accounting, including the company's handling of assumptions used to determine certain pension costs.[/b][/quote]

Just a dumpy company that needs to be taken out to pasture.

Comment

The Chineese or Indians will buy it.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 9 2005, 07:29 PM) Quoted post
              The Chineese or Indians will buy it. [/b][/quote]

Chinese won't buy it and the Indians can't afford it.

I wonder if GM wasnt inflating credits as a run up to the Delphi spin-off?

Comment

Someone will buy GM. The loyalty base is too high.

But, we've seen the last days of the General Motors company as it's named now.

Comment

What has happened to the American owned business? At the rate we're selling to foriegn buyers, we'll be third world in the next 100 years.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 9 2005, 07:34 PM) Quoted post
                    What has happened to the American owned business? At the rate we're selling to foriegn buyers, we'll be third world in the next 100 years. [/b][/quote]

It's called pro forma accounting.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 9 2005, 07:34 PM) Quoted post
                      What has happened to the American owned business? At the rate we're selling to foriegn buyers, we'll be third world in the next 100 years. [/b][/quote]

No..just need competitive companies. If GM could design and build cars as well as the Nips or Jerrys...they wouldnt be in this problem.

Comment

Wang,

IMO, GM needs to weed out some of their losers, I/E Buick. There's alot of world wide love for Caddy's and Corvettes.

Comment

Christ, madyaks is gonna flip.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 9 2005, 07:40 PM) Quoted post

Wang,

IMO, GM needs to weed out some of their losers, I/E Buick. There's alot of world wide love for Caddy's and Corvettes.
                            [/b][/quote]

Bingo.

Too many models and brands that are pretty much about the same. Some of the new Chevy models are interesting and the Caddys will always be popular with the geezer set. Don't need Buick and Pontiac.
                            LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

QUOTE(DC Santana @ Nov 9 2005, 07:46 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 9 2005, 07:40 PM) Quoted post

Wang,

[/b][/quote]

Bingo.

Too many models and brands that are pretty much about the same. Some of the new Chevy models are interesting and the Caddys will always be popular with the geezer set. Don't need Buick and Pontiac.
                              [/b][/quote]

Didn't they discontinue Oldsmobile?

That's a start.
                              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X