DRays lock up Baldelli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRays lock up Baldelli

Gossip around here is a three way trade with the Bosox and Mets, with - [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img] -ManRam coming to the Rays.

Danys Baez and Huff are part of it on TB's end.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/09/Rays/Roc...s_to_Rays.shtml

Rocco commits to Rays

The young centerfielder, impressed with the new management team, is ready to sign a six-year contract.

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer
    Published November 9, 2005

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Outfielder Rocco Baldelli likes what the Devil Rays' new ownership and management has done. He showed how much by agreeing to six-year contract that could be worth about $33-million and keep him with the Rays through 2011.

Baldelli, 24, missed all of last season because of surgeries to repair serious left knee and right elbow injuries. But he is expected to be fully recovered by spring training, and the Rays are taking what amounts to a calculated risk that he will return to the promising form he showed in 2003-04.

The contract, expected to be announced at a Thursday news conference, covers three seasons of arbitration eligibility and his first three seasons of free agency.

"I'll be a Devil Ray for a while," Baldelli said by telephone. "I didn't just do this to do a deal. I want to win. I like what I've seen from the new ownership, and I think this is going to be a winning organization and I want to be there."

The first three years are guaranteed, with the Rays having some protection against further injury with incentives based on plate appearances. The Rays have two team options that cover his three free-agent years, though there is a hefty buyout if they decline the options.

The deal is similar in structure to the one the Rays made last spring with Carl Crawford, which included $15.25-million guaranteed and could be worth $32.5-million over six years.

The biggest difference is that the Rays have options for two free-agent years with Crawford and three with Baldelli. The biggest news is that if all goes as planned, the Rays can keep two young centerpiece players in uniform for years without worrying about being unable to afford them and losing them to big-market teams, one of the primary philosophies of new principal owner Stuart Sternberg.

Baldelli has been talking on and off for months about the deal with Andrew Friedman, Rays executive vice president of baseball operations. Team officials declined comment Tuesday.

"I'm pleased with how it's gone," Baldelli said. Coming off two solid seasons in which he hit .285 with 27 homers and 152 RBIs, Baldelli sustained a freak injury in October 2004, tearing the ACL in his knee playing with younger brother Dante in the backyard of their Rhode Island home. After months of grueling work, he was two weeks from starting a minor-league rehabilitation in June when he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and had Tommy John surgery.

Baldelli said he has been recovering well, though he's limited to throwing at short distances, and plans to be ready for spring training. As part of the deal, he had extensive physical exams and "the doctors said everything was good."

Baldelli severed ties last year with agent Scott Boras and plans to hire Casey Close, who will look over the deal before it is signed.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Weird timing. But they are following the (cue harp) Beane (end harp) method of locking guys up instead of going to arbitration with them...

Comment

Gomes will be on the block...

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Nov 9 2005, 05:38 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Huff first. They could go Crawford-Baldelli-Gomes across the OF. That's tasty.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Nov 9 2005, 06:40 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Huff first. They could go Crawford-Baldelli-Gomes across the OF. That's tasty.
          [/b][/quote]

Yep. Huff is gone.
          But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Poor old Delmon Young will never get to play.

Comment

Um, shouldn't they actually see if Baldelli can play before locking him up for 6 years?
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Nov 9 2005, 05:40 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Huff first. They could go Crawford-Baldelli-Gomes across the OF. That's tasty. [/b][/quote]

Yeah..that makes more sense considering Huff makes $7M/year. So..what teams will be in the Aubrey sweepstakes? Any interest in him for the Cards?

Comment

Great move IMO. They could have a superstar on their hands at a low price.

If they can trade Huff and Baez and get a few solid prospects, they are on their way to becoming a better organization.

Comment

QUOTE(Weird_English_Guy @ Nov 9 2005, 06:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

If he keeps hitting like he has been, they'll find a spot for him. Another year in the minors won't kill him...and you know how the Rays like to watch the service time clock.

Comment

QUOTE(Weird_English_Guy @ Nov 9 2005, 07:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      he'll probably be playing 1B for them by '07

to do have an excess of OFs...

[conspiracy theory]and w/ Hunsicker there now[/conspiracy theory]
                      life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
                      \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
                      Dr. Pepper
                      all things Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

Huff is gone. They will keep Gomes, Crawford and now Baldelli. Rays need some pitching though. Their lineup is starting to look pretty good with these guys and Cantu.

Its hard to envision the Devil Rays picking a huge salary like Ramirez...or is he targeted for the Mets?
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Nov 10 2005, 11:45 AM) Quoted post

Huff is gone. They will keep Gomes, Crawford and now Baldelli. Rays need some pitching though. Their lineup is starting to look pretty good with these guys and Cantu.

Its hard to envision the Devil Rays picking a huge salary like Ramirez...or is he targeted for the Mets?
                          [/b][/quote]

Cantu will come back down to earth this year, but don't forget about Lugo, who is quite underrated (though a wifebeater or something) and Upton, who might stick with the big club this year...they could put together a ridiculous young lineup for the next couple years If those guys all pan out.

Still need to find a rotation somewhere, though. Kazmir must find the strike zone, Niemann is still a year or two away and Townsend just blew out his arm in the AFL.

They've got a kid GM now, too, with Hunsicker there to help run the show. They'll be a very interesting team to watch the next few years.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Nov 10 2005, 11:51 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(TTB @ Nov 10 2005, 11:45 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Cantu will come back down to earth this year, but don't forget about Lugo, who is quite underrated (though a wifebeater or something) and Upton, who might stick with the big club this year...they could put together a ridiculous young lineup for the next couple years If those guys all pan out.

Still need to find a rotation somewhere, though. Kazmir must find the strike zone, Niemann is still a year or two away and Townsend just blew out his arm in the AFL.

They've got a kid GM now, too, with Hunsicker there to help run the show. They'll be a very interesting team to watch the next few years.
                            [/b][/quote]

Yeah I had Lugo on my fantasy team and he had a real nice year. I had Renteria too and he killed me all year. You think Cantu overacheived? Could be. I never really even heard of him until this year.

Upton definitely could make the team next year and is very talented...so I hear/read. I have not seen him play.

Yeah, I kind of like to watch young up and coming teams mature....these guys definitely are worth keeping any eye on. The Indians are obviously closer...they could be a dominant team by next season.

Wouldn't Coco Crisp look good in our LF? Oh well...
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Man Ram exiled to TB would be too funny
                              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                              X