Star Band Satellite Internet Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Band Satellite Internet Access

If Star Band is the only option other than dial-up.

Good? Bad?

Verizon has a new product that allows pretty fast connections (400-700k) over cell networks. If you have cell service in your area you may consider that.

Comment

not sure about the satellite services...don't really understand how they could work well, given the narrow uplink...

I think the Sprint and Verizon wireless cards would be a good option, if you don't have access to terrestrial broadband. I use Sprint in my laptop and it works quite well. Faster than dial up.
      The Dude abides.

Comment

I've been asked to help a client get hooked up. He's way out in the boonies. No DSL and no cable.

My Cingular phone does not get consistent service at his place either, but I don't know about Verizon or Sprint.

Comment

satellite connections allow you fast downloads, but overall browsing experiences are not much better than 56K due to upload and latency issues.

Verizon (or Sprint's) EVDO service is severly limited to only cities....in other words, places you can get other types of broadband.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Look into getting a T1.

You can probably get one for $400/mo or so.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Verizon doesn't have a national map of their coverage for the really fast broadband cell connectivity, but that's the connectivity for up to 144K.

This page has the individual cities for the really fast ones.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Nov 9 2005, 05:03 PM) Quoted post
                Look into getting a T1.

You can probably get one for $400/mo or so. [/b][/quote]
                That's a great idea, especially if you can find someone to share it with close to them.

Comment

Thanks for the map, patrick. It appears that the area is out of national access (he's about half way between KC and Joplin).

Comment

QUOTE(King @ Nov 9 2005, 05:11 PM) Quoted post
                    Thanks for the map, patrick. It appears that the area is out of national access (he's about half way between KC and Joplin). [/b][/quote]
                    Looks like no-man's land for Verizon. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Sprint site. Enter Zip Code.

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/pr...vdoEnterZip.jsp
                      The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(Moe_Szyslak @ Nov 9 2005, 05:16 PM) Quoted post

Sprint site. Enter Zip Code.

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/pr...vdoEnterZip.jsp
                        [/b][/quote]
                        Thanks Moe.

Another strike out for the guy. He's not even close.

Comment

King ... the local LEC may be able to provide ISDN. I know, it's ancient, but they may still support it. Also, if you are forced to go with dialup you can buy a router that allows bonding, which is putting two phone lines together.

Comment

See if his ISP offers a wireless service. That's what I have at home, and it's not exactly broadband, it's still much better than dial-up. We connect at 386K.

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Nov 9 2005, 05:25 PM) Quoted post
                              See if his ISP offers a wireless service. That's what I have at home, and it's not exactly broadband, it's still much better than dial-up. We connect at 386K. [/b][/quote]

Another good idea. How much do you pay?

Comment

Working...
                              X