Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blockbuster loses $491 million .. remember they don't make money ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be looking to get out of that business ASAP.

Five years from now, Blockbuster won't exist.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 9 2005, 02:37 PM) Quoted post

I'd be looking to get out of that business ASAP.

Five years from now, Blockbuster won't exist.
      [/b][/quote]

It's an interesting question whether even NetFlix will exist in five years. DVDs are already obsolete.

I've had a project for years now to convert all my video tapes to DVD. I've made some progress, but that progress has been dwarfed in recent months by the changeover to soft media - I can convert the analog to MPEG-4 and store thousands of hours of movies on my network in virtually no space. If I don't want to watch a DVD on a computer or an MPEG-4 device (like an Archos), I can burn a DVD of it in a few minutes. In five years, I might be in the middle of a project to eliminate all my DVDs.

Comment

Good point, AS. Drive space is cheap.

We've been renting from Red Box lately and love it.

Comment

We made a road trip this weekend and rented from red box thinking we could return it on the way (we have a portable dvd player in the car). Couldn't find a red box location south of Pevely.....

Comment

QUOTE(AWSmith98 @ Nov 9 2005, 01:53 PM) Quoted post
            We made a road trip this weekend and rented from red box thinking we could return it on the way (we have a portable dvd player in the car). Couldn't find a red box location south of Pevely..... [/b][/quote]
            Wow. I didn't know you could drop them off at other red boxes. That's pretty cool.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 9 2005, 02:02 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(AWSmith98 @ Nov 9 2005, 01:53 PM) Quoted post
              We made a road trip this weekend and rented from red box thinking we could return it on the way (we have a portable dvd player in the car). Couldn't find a red box location south of Pevely..... [/b][/quote]
              Wow. I didn't know you could drop them off at other red boxes. That's pretty cool.
              [/b][/quote]

Yep, but don't go south and expect to return it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.digg.com/movies/Blockbuster_rep...r_third_quarter

PGRote = Digg Duper
                Billikens.com

Comment

QUOTE(SluSignGuy @ Nov 9 2005, 03:43 PM) Quoted post
                  http://www.digg.com/movies/Blockbuster_rep...r_third_quarter

PGRote = Digg Duper [/b][/quote]
                  I beat Digg on that one. It came from the NY Times. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Blockbuster is toast.

But, this shouldn't surprise anyone who is even halfway paying attention.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Oh, I have not checked out the Red Box thing...just something about McD's and movies that doesn't sit right w/me.
                      Feb. 08, 2005
                      Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                      Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                      Originally posted by Airshark
                      NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

NetFlix baby!!!
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

What bothers the hell out of me, is the hypocracy of the whole "no late fee's". A few weeks ago, I went to Blockbuster and rented two new releases, which I was told was due back that Monday. There was a message on my answering machine Tuesday at like 10:05 am, a recorded message saying that I had until that Saturday to return both movies or I would be charge the sale price for both minus my $8 rental fee.

So maybe I'm wrong, it's not really hypocratic. Technically there are no "late" fees. This blows, I think I may end up at Netflix

Comment

Working...
                          X