Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN Insider for 11/09: Mench to hit the market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider for 11/09: Mench to hit the market?

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Paul Konerko
    White Sox Angels
    Red Sox
    White Sox Let the bidding begin

Nov 9 - The White Sox are prepared to make Paul Konerko an offer, a four-year deal worth as much as $52 million, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
    But Konerko is believed to be intent on finding out how much he's worth on the open market.

ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports that Boston's front office contingent met Tuesday with Craig Landis, Konerko's representative.

Boston is looking to upgrade at the first-base position, where Kevin Millar and John Olerud combined for 16 homers and 76 RBI in 515 at-bats last season.

Carlos Delgado
    Marlins Delgado states his case
    Nov 9 - First baseman Carlos Delgado reiterated his desire Tuesday to remain with the Marlins, calling on the team to clarify his status, The Miami Herald reports.
    "I don't want to be traded. I want to be a Marlin, and I want be in Florida and have a chance to win," Delgado told The Herald. "That was my position a year ago, and that's still my position today."

General manager Larry Beinfest's response: "No comment. No comment on specific players."

Jorge Posada
    Yankees Pricy catch
    Nov 9 - Looking to cut their payroll, the Yankees are trying to gauge interest in catcher Jorge Posada and his bulky contract, the New York Daily News reports.
    The 34-year-old Posada will make $8 million next season. And if he starts 81 games at catcher, a clause in his contract guarantees a $12 million option for 2007.

Alfonso Soriano
    Rangers Mets So, what would it take ...
    Nov 9 - In need of a powerful middle-of-the-order bat, the Mets are once again talking to the Rangers about Alfonso Soriano's availability, The New York Times reports.

Danys Baez
    Devil Rays Mets? Minaya catching some Rays
    Nov 9 - Mets GM Omar Minaya is working on a potential trade with the Devil Rays for closer Danys Baez and first baseman Aubrey Huff, the New York Daily News reports.
    A D-Rays exec at the GM meetings in Indian Wells, Calif, told the newspaper that Minaya initiated discussions about a deal for Baez or Huff, or both.

Rafael Furcal
    Braves Cubs
    Mets The sales pitch
    Nov 9 - Cubs infielder Neifi Perez is recruiting friend Rafael Furcal, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
    Perez telephoned Furcal on Monday. "I told him I would be happy if he comes to the Cubs, because I know what he can do to help the team win," Perez told the newspaper.

Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, is seeking a five-year contract.

Bob Howry
    Indians Phillies?
    Tigers
    Brewers
    Indians
    Mets
    Rangers The setup man
    Nov 9 - Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin met with Bobby Howry's agents Tuesday in Indian Wells, Calif., ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. The Brewers are interested in Howry as a setup man for Derrick Turnbow, who saved 39 games last season.
    Howry went 7-4 with a 2.47 ERA and held AL hitters to a .191 average last season in Cleveland. He could step in as the Indians' closer in 2006 if Bob Wickman doesn't return, but the Indians are hesitant to give Howry the three-year contract he desires.

Agent Craig Landis said about 75 percent of the teams interested in Howry want him to pitch primarily in the eighth inning. The other 25 percent have expressed a willingness to let him compete for a closer's job, Landis said.

Kevin Mench
    Rangers Royals Mench-ionable
    Nov 9 - According to The Kansas City Star, the Rangers are finally willing to consider offers for outfielder Kevin Mench, a prize the Royals have coveted for some time.
    "We're not shopping him, but we're not going to turn a deaf ear to listening to ways to make our club better," Rangers GM Jon Daniels told the newspaper.

The Royals reportedly are offering left-hander Jeremy Affeldt as part of a deal that could include other players.

Jacque Jones
    Twins Padres Keeping up with Jones
    Nov 9 - The Padres are exploring Jacque Jones as an option in the outfield if they can't re-sign Brian Giles, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.
    "They've got quite a bit of interest," said Jones' agent, Rick Thurman, told the newspaper. "A lot of it depends on Giles. Jacque is interested. San Diego is his home base."

Boston Still hope for Theo?
    Nov 9 - The Red Sox will interview Washington's Jim Bowden as a potential replacement for departed GM Theo Epstein.
    They'll also talk to Toronto assistant Tony LaCava, Atlanta assistant Dayton Moore, Los Angeles assistant Kim Ng and others, Peter Gammons reported. They will interview former Montreal and Baltimore GM Jim Beattie on Friday.

Cleveland assistant Chris Antonetti declined an opportunity to interview for the job.

Some in the ownership group hold out hope that Epstein can resolve his differences with Lucchino and return as the GM. Contrary to some reports, Lucchino has not rejected that idea, and wants Epstein back, Gammons reported.

Tom Gordon
    Yankees Flash wants three years
    Nov 9 - The Yankees made an informal pitch -- a two-year offer -- to reliever Tom Gordon, The New York Post reports.
    But Gordon, who's coming off a two-year, $7.25 million contract, is seeking a three-year deal. An official at the general managers' meetings in California told ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick that Gordon wants a contract for more money than the three-year, $15.5 million deal that Ryan Dempster signed with the Cubs in early October.

"I'm not sure we're that far off," Gordon's agent, Rick Thurman, told The Post. "[Gordon] loved being in New York. He has no problem coming back there and setting up for Mariano."

Tim Worrell
    Diamondbacks Diamondbacks That cut hurts
    Nov 9 - Reliever Tim Worrell isn't thrilled with the Diamondbacks' offer to re-sign him for $1 million for 2006, The Arizona Republic reports.
    "I know that's a lot of money in the real world," Worrell told the newspaper. "But I don't live in the real world. I live in this crazy, stupid world of baseball, where things are different, and in the end, I don't think I should have to take a pay cut of two-thirds of my salary last year."

Worrell made $3 million in 2005.

Kevin Millwood
    Indians High five
    Nov 9 - Agent Scott Boras reportedly wants a five-year deal for right-handed starter Kevin Millwood, The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
    The Indians are willing to make a three-year offer, possibly four, but not five.

Brian Fuentes
    Rockies Relief appearance
    Nov 9 - Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd on Tuesday stepped away from the general managers' meetings to have an initial talk with Brian Fuentes' agent, Rick Thurman, about a two-year deal with a possible option for the reliever, the Rocky Mountain News reports.
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Nov 9 - The Red Sox will interview Washington's Jim Bowden as a potential replacement for departed GM Theo Epstein. [/b][/quote]

I'd puke.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Wanted man
      Nov 8 - The word is that Reggie Sanders is attracting a "boatload" of interest this winter, an American League general manager told ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick. After signing five one-year deals with different NL clubs from 1999-2003, Sanders should have enough leverage to command a second straight multi-year contract.

The Cardinals, Twins, Marlins, Royals and Mariners are among the teams thought to be interested in Sanders.

Sanders was on track to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases before he suffered a hairline fracture of his right leg shortly after the All-Star break. He still finished with 21 homers in 295 at-bats, and hit .333 with 10 RBI in 12 at-bats against San Diego in the NL Division Series.

Sanders, who turns 38 in December, needs eight homers and three stolen bases to join Willie Mays, Andre Dawson and Bobby and Barry Bonds as the fifth player in history with 300 of each.
      [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Do they make Cardinals helmets large enough for Mench? Is red a slimming color?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I'd love to acquire Posada from the Yankees.
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Mench really wasn't all that good last year, especially given the park he played in. He struggles a bit against RHP.

Comment

If teams want to sign Reggie Sanders to a two-year deal, go right ahead.
              The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Tim Worrell
                Diamondbacks Diamondbacks That cut hurts
                Nov 9 - Reliever Tim Worrell isn't thrilled with the Diamondbacks' offer to re-sign him for $1 million for 2006, The Arizona Republic reports.
                "I know that's a lot of money in the real world," Worrell told the newspaper. "But I don't live in the real world. I live in this crazy, stupid world of baseball, where things are different, and in the end, I don't think I should have to take a pay cut of two-thirds of my salary last year."

Worrell made $3 million in 2005. [/b][/quote]

i thought that was kinda funny.
                Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Sanders, who turns 38 in December, needs eight homers and three stolen bases to join Willie Mays, Andre Dawson and Bobby and Barry Bonds as the fifth player in history with 300 of each. [/b][/quote]

Ya know, that's pretty damn impressive.

Nice career, Reg.

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting Mench for LF depending on the cost

Marquis for Mench? Maybe we throw in a minor leaguer if we need more?
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I would have thought we would have heard aboot a trade or two by now
                      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                      X