• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGwire to be further implicated in ESPN The Magazine story

MLB 'knew of steroid abuse'
    From correspondents in New York
    November 09, 2005
    MAJOR League Baseball officials knew of widespread steroid taking by players as early as 1991. according to a report by ESPN Magazine today (AEDT).

BALCO founder Victor Conte also said - in a story on steroids in baseball to be published tomorrow - it is simple for players to cheat despite baseball's new anti-steroids policy .

Conte was among four men who pleaded guilty to distributing steroids to Olympians and professional athletes in July and who last month was sentenced to four months in prison for touching off a scandal that rocked the sports world.

ESPN's Who Knew? story found that MLB tried to banish steroids as early as 1991 and again in 1997, long before record-setting home run levels by star sluggers that sceptics now see as tainted by drugs.

The report said that in 1991, a steroid supplier claims to have had as many as 20 baseball clients and former baseball commissioner Fay Vincent wrote about the growing problem and what had to be done.

Steroid tests were not mandated until two years ago, long after Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds had smashed single-season homer marks. Bonds ranks third on the all-time list and could challenge Hank Aaron's all-time record next year.

Authors speaking on ESPN also said the report found a steroid dealer who claims to have supplied steroids to McGwire.

US politicians have proposed legislation that would impose World Anti-Doping Agency-style standards upon US sports leagues despite protests from commissioners that they are better off continuing to police themselves.

Repeated doping scandals have forced lawmakers to question that notion, even as American youth are emulating their heroes by taking steroids and growth-enhancing supplement products in record numbers.

MLB commissioner Bud Selig has said he would favour a government-mandated anti-doping policy if collective bargaining cannot produce an effective anti-doping plan.

Baseball union boss Don Fehr was verbally pounded by US lawmakers in September over the doping issue, saying a deal was likely before the end of the World Series only to have the final end without a new anti-doping agreement.

The existing baseball doping punishments, laughable by WADA levels with a two-year ban and life ban, call for a 10-day suspension for a first offence, 30 days for a second, 60 for a third and one year for a fourth.

The magazine also reported that former All-Star first baseman Wally Joyner took steroids that he received from former teammate Ken Caminiti, who died of a drug overdose last year.

According to the ESPN report, Joyner admitted asking Caminiti to help him get steroids during the 1998 season when they were San Diego Padres teammates and Joyner was 36.

Caminiti, who in 2002 admitted to using steroids, gave Joyner pills and he ingested them for some time before throwing them away and regretting the move, the report claimed.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

We're not here to talk about the past.

Did I ever tell you about my foundation (sob, sob) that helps abused kids (sob, sob)?
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Steroids is bad
      I got nothin....
      I made a website, STLsportspulse.com. Yippeee!

Comment

Not only are they bad, but MLB deemed them illegal in 91...unfortunately, it wasn't tied into the CBA yet...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Posted 11/4/2005 12:42 PM Updated 11/4/2005 12:52 PM

Alleged BALCO supplier indicted on steroid charges

By David Kravets, The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — A noted scientist from Champaign, Ill., has been indicted for allegedly supplying BALCO with the performance-enhancing drug known as "the clear."

A federal grand jury on Thursday accused Patrick Arnold of conspiring with Bay Area Laboratory-Cooperative founder Victor Conte to illegally distribute the once-undetectable substance tetrahydragestrinone...

Arnold was known for introducing the steroid precursor androstenedione to the United States. Nicknamed andro, the chemical came to public attention in 1998 when St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire said he used it when breaking baseball's single-season home run record.

The indictment said Arnold trafficked in performance-enhancing drugs designed to avoid detection by sporting leagues, including the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Major League Baseball and the National Football League...
          The Dude abides.

Comment

I'm not sure how much more further McGwire can be implicated at this point...

Comment

I just want to stay positive.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Nov 9 2005, 10:09 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

True. And unless people want him somehow punished, there's really little value in proving he took steroids. We all know he did. That's all that needs to be said in my opinion.
                "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Nov 9 2005, 10:17 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

True. And unless people want him somehow punished, there's really little value in proving he took steroids. We all know he did. That's all that needs to be said in my opinion.
                  [/b][/quote]

Would you keep him out of the Hall of Fame? I think I would.
                  "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                  --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Nov 9 2005, 10:37 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I would, too.
                    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Nov 9 2005, 11:37 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nope.

I would argue for a differently defined playing field during the 1990s, where pitchers and batters and who knows who else juiced, making McGwire's sins rather irrelevant. The other problem, of course, is we have no idea who else juiced, so it's pointless to single out one dude to serve the punishment for all.
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 9 2005, 10:40 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nope.

I would argue for a differently defined playing field during the 1990s, where pitchers and batters and who knows who else juiced, making McGwire's sins rather irrelevant. The other problem, of course, is we have no idea who else juiced, so it's pointless to single out one dude to serve the punishment for all.
                        [/b][/quote]

I wouldn't single out one dude. I wouldn't let Bonds or Palmeiro in, either.

To me, it's like finding out that a player corked his bat through his entire career. He may not have gotten caught, but I don't think you have to reward the fact that he hit 600 HRs with it.
                        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                        --Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know that I'd ban anyone from the HOF. But I wouldn't vote for him if I was a voter.

So, perhaps it would be good to get solid proof.
                          "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Nov 9 2005, 11:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nope.

[/b][/quote]

To me, it's like finding out that a player corked his bat through his entire career. He may not have gotten caught, but I don't think you have to reward the fact that he hit 600 HRs with it.
                            [/b][/quote]

Would you not agree that hundreds of ballplayers throughout McGwire's era tried steroids?

How many hit 600 HRs?

It's because the pitchers AND batters were juiced. Now you choose to hold it against a particular subset of a rather equal population.
                            The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 9 2005, 10:45 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Nov 9 2005, 11:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nope.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Would you not agree that hundreds of ballplayers throughout McGwire's era tried steroids?

How many hit 600 HRs?

It's because the pitchers AND batters were juiced. Now you choose to hold it against a particular subset of a rather equal population.
                              [/b][/quote]

I'm not sure I would agree that hundreds of ballplayers were juiced. You might be right. I don't know. And I'm not sure I agree that all sorts of pitchers were using them. Is that your assumption, or have you seen that reported somewhere?

OK, here's my compromise. If he makes it, I want his plaque to mention steroids. Or at least include a drawing of a syringe.
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X