Dress codes in high school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress codes in high school

I was driving by Fort Zumwalt South High School on my way to work this morning and saw a group of kids walking to school. In this group was a girl who was wearing a skirt that barely came down below her butt. If she drops a pen or book, there is no way she can bend down to pick it up.

It's been 17 years since I was in school but I remember 2 kids getting kicked out of school for sporting mohawks because it was a distraction to other students.

My question is this......what kind of dress codes are there (if any) in public high schools because I know the skirt I saw this morning would never have passed when I was in high school?

I would say most schools don't enforce dress codes unless a student is wearing something out right offensive such as a profanity or sexually suggestive picture or wording.

They say they enforce skirt lengths, etc. They don't really.

Comment

Cahokia has a dress code, casual slacks and a polo

Comment

I have seen not only high school girls, but middle school girls, walking to school in the mornings in skimpy short skirts and spaghetti strap tops. No way some of these outfits meet any sort of dress codes.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
        Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
        Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
        Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
        NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
        LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Nov 9 2005, 09:29 AM) Quoted post

I would say most schools don't enforce dress codes unless a student is wearing something out right offensive such as a profanity or sexually suggestive picture or wording.

[/b][/quote]

Thats about it. No camouflage, no pajammas.

Comment

If I catch the boys "saggin" and I see their underware, they get their ass beat...seriously.
            Feb. 08, 2005
            Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
            Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
            Originally posted by Airshark
            NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

my daughter goes to belleville west high school which implemented a dress code this school year for the first time. basically the kids can wear navy or khaki pants and the shirts must be either white, columbia blue or maroon with a collar. skirts can be worn if over the knee. no insigna's on the shirt unless smaller than a quarter. no hats, no outrageous bling jewelry. imo the kids look 100% better and it appears most if not all are pretty much in compliance.
              Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Nov 9 2005, 10:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                ++

You are correct. Most male teachers are afraid to tell girls their skirts are too short or their shirts hang too low or that they're showing too much of their stomach, etc., etc. And it's b/c it only takes one girl to say that a teacher was "checking them out".
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(F the Cubs @ Nov 9 2005, 10:15 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  ++

You are correct. Most male teachers are afraid to tell girls their skirts are too short or their shirts hang too low or that they're showing too much of their stomach, etc., etc. And it's b/c it only takes one girl to say that a teacher was "checking them out".
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Yep and then that male teacher ends up with charges that he harassed the female student and he ends up losing his job and reputation.

On the other hand, if the girl didn't wear such a short skirt to school in the first place, the whole situation would be avoided.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                  Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                  Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                  NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                  LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(F the Cubs @ Nov 9 2005, 10:15 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    ++

[/b][/quote]

i think that is a cop out by the teacher. i am sure a message can be gotten to an administrator or a female staff member to convey the infraction.
                    Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

The sooner the high schools switch to some uniform system, the better. The outfits that the kids are wearing are completely ridiculous. I wouldn't want it to be a police state, but there needs to be some middle ground to keep things from getting out of hand.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I went to CBC in the early '70s. Talk about a dress code...

Comment

QUOTE(billiken_roy @ Nov 9 2005, 10:07 AM) Quoted post

my daughter goes to belleville west high school which implemented a dress code this school year for the first time. basically the kids can wear navy or khaki pants and the shirts must be either white, columbia blue or maroon with a collar. skirts can be worn if over the knee. no insigna's on the shirt unless smaller than a quarter. no hats, no outrageous bling jewelry. imo the kids look 100% better and it appears most if not all are pretty much in compliance.
                          [/b][/quote]

A friend of mine teaches English there, he said there were a group of parents fighting that tooth and nail. I don't think it's a bad thing at all, it's not like they are making them dress in their "Sunday best".

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Nov 9 2005, 11:21 AM) Quoted post

The sooner the high schools switch to some uniform system, the better. The outfits that the kids are wearing are completely ridiculous. I wouldn't want it to be a police state, but there needs to be some middle ground to keep things from getting out of hand.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            AE "Destroyed" Jeans and Lacoste polos for all! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Nov 9 2005, 10:21 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              ++

I was going to get sent home in 10th grade for having a shirt that said "Van Halen Kicks Ass". I was told to turn it inside out. I said no and had a football jersey handy and put that on.

I wore Budweiser shorts often and I know I could not do that or wear any shirts with beer or tobacco logos on them.
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott
                              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                              X