Favorite 'hidden gem' bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite 'hidden gem' bar

We've had our restaurant thread. Let's get down to the nitty gritty.

What is your favorite St. Louis (or otherwise) watering hole?

What makes it so good?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

my house!

Comment

Cadillac Jacks [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

I used to go there on my lunch hour.
      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
      "I didn't know you
      had any feelings"

Comment

I'm a rather large fan of Frederick's Music Lounge.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

My sister took me to this bar in Soulard a few times owned by two old (and I mean old) ladies..drinks were ridiculously cheap..like a $1 or two..

Pussycat club? Shit...it's supposed to be well-known..total dive and the two old broads are pissed to the gills most nights.

Comment

Can I give it an national spin? Don't even know if some of my favorite old haunts are still open, otherwise.

Chicago:

Rainbow Room, Wicker Park. No, it isn't a gay bar. Great vintage pinball and video games, and you're likely to see Eleventh Dream Day guitarist Rick Rizzo pouring drinks. The only bar I've been in where the sound system is a turntable behind the bar hooked to massive overhead speakers. Very hot punkrawk girrrls here.

The Black Beetle, Ukranian Village. A little more stylish than the plain-jane simplicity of the Rainbow, the Beetle is great for it's massive jukebox and fantastic design inside. Decent food, better beer. Many hot artschool chicks here. Yummy. Bonus points for being around the corner from my old house there.

DC:

Pharmacy Bar, Adams-Morgan. A-M is noted for being ground zero for trendy bar/club-hoppers. Amid all the glitz and glamor and hyper-fashion is this little hole-in-the-wall. Great food, Great jukebox (Velvet Underground, Big Star, Pavement, AND Manitoba and Boards Of Canada) and an amazing amount of good beer on tap for such a little place. The laid back atmosphere is awesome too--it's like a dude in worn jeans and a t-shirt at some artfag clotheshorse party.

J. Gilbert's, McLean. Lots of CIA and congressional staffers hang out there, and the beer is both plentiful and, well, free. Free is big ups. Oh, the Oscar Peterson, Art Blakey, Chet Baker, Grant Green, Dexter Gordon, and Charlie Parker on the sound system help, too.
            I like cheese.

Comment

I usually meet my partner's at Sportmen's Park on Clayton or The Village on Manchester

I have no idea why except that one is right off 40 and the other right off 270
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Cold beer, good wings, QUIET, and sports on TV.
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 8 2005, 10:44 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  Sounds like a great bar...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 8 2005, 10:44 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

So what place are you talking about?
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Nov 8 2005, 10:41 PM) Quoted post

Can I give it an national spin? Don't even know if some of my favorite old haunts are still open, otherwise.

Chicago:

Rainbow Room, Wicker Park. No, it isn't a gay bar. Great vintage pinball and video games, and you're likely to see Eleventh Dream Day guitarist Rick Rizzo pouring drinks. The only bar I've been in where the sound system is a turntable behind the bar hooked to massive overhead speakers. Very hot punkrawk girrrls here.
                      [/b][/quote]

That's over near Chicago Ave. right?
                      Sweet place.
                      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                      "I didn't know you
                      had any feelings"

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Nov 8 2005, 11:41 PM) Quoted post

Chicago:

The Black Beetle, Ukranian Village. A little more stylish than the plain-jane simplicity of the Rainbow, the Beetle is great for it's massive jukebox and fantastic design inside. Decent food, better beer. Many hot artschool chicks here. Yummy. Bonus points for being around the corner from my old house there.

[/b][/quote]

Holy shit - these 2 places brought back memories.

I used to live near Rainbow Room - actually in Bucktown.

Damn - I miss Chicago.

Comment

Hatfield's on Watson just south of Fyler.

there's that place on the hill, I always fukken forget its name....

now THAT place is straight outta barfly!

hi pointe is my hang.

Comment

Rocket Bar used to be simply awesome. Great bartenders there

The Tangerine used to be fantastic for happy hour. 2 for 1 martini's and not just a little bit either but a whole pint glass of one.

I miss those two places
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I'm a big beer fan, so this place came immediately to mind (an out-of-town location):

In the Georgetown area of D.C., there's a place called the Brickskellar. They have almost 1,000 different types of beers available for consumption on any given night. Inside, it reminded me of the old Talayna's on Skinker & Forest Park Parkway...cool, but almost creepy.

Locally, I have to log my biggest gripe about suburbia - no good neighborhood bars (at least not in my neighborhood). In my search for a "hidden gem", I've found that they're all pretty much the same.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
                              I leave for two days...

Comment

Working...
                              X