X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One dead in TN school shooting

One dead in Tennessee school shooting
    Sheriff: Teacher wrestled gun from 15-year-old suspect

JACKSBORO, Tennessee (CNN) -- A high school student opened fire Tuesday afternoon on a principal and two assistant principals, killing one of the men before a teacher wrestled his weapon away, the sheriff said.

The 15-year-old suspect was taken into custody, authorities said.

No students were injured, and Campbell County Comprehensive High School in Jacksboro, Tennessee, was locked down immediately after the shootings, said Judy Blevens, director of county schools. About 1,400 students are enrolled in the school. (Watch a report from the scene -- 2:26)

Campbell County Sheriff Ron McClellan identified the slain assistant principal as Ken Bruce, 48.

McClellan, who was at Bruce's side when he died, said it's not clear how many times the assistant principal was shot, but it appears the suspect used a small-caliber handgun, perhaps a .22.

Two other victims -- Principal Gary Seale and Assistant Principal Jim Pierce, who also is a track coach -- were airlifted to the University of Tennessee Medical Center. Pierce was in critical condition and Seale was in serious condition, hospital spokeswoman Lisa McNeal said Tuesday afternoon.

The student suspect allegedly slipped a gun under a napkin and fired at the administrators in a common area, CNN affiliate WATE reported.

Bruce was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in LaFollette, about five miles away. The suspect also was taken there for treatment of a gunshot wound to his right hand. He was seen hours later -- wearing glasses and a blood-spattered yellow shirt -- leaving the hospital and getting into a sheriff's vehicle.

He was taken to a juvenile facility in neighboring Scott County. Police already have taken statements from the suspect and were piecing together a motive Tuesday evening, McClellan said.

"I have no information firsthand of what type of motive or what would cause this individual to do this," McClellan told WATE, adding that the student's father had arrived at St. Mary's with a lawyer.

CNN affiliate WBIR interviewed a longtime friend of one of the administrators who said "everybody's very sad" and "in disbelief" after the attack.

One pupil described Bruce as someone who always lent a willing ear to the students. "He was a nice guy. If you went to talk to him about any problems you had, he'd be a person who would listen," said student Nathan Lawson.

As word of the shooting spread, a throng of concerned parents gathered outside the school. Authorities tried to assure them the students were OK and that dozens of police and deputies had secured the scene.

Buses and vehicles eventually were allowed onto campus to pick up students.

Jacksboro, a town of about 2,000 people, is in northeast Tennessee near the Kentucky border. It's about 35 miles northwest of Knoxville.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/08/tenn.scho...ting/index.html

Click Here to Print
    SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close
    Check the box to include the list of links referenced in the article.

One dead in Tennessee school shooting
    Sheriff: Teacher wrestled gun from 15-year-old suspect

JACKSBORO, Tennessee (CNN) -- A high school student opened fire Tuesday afternoon on a principal and two assistant principals, killing one of the men before a teacher wrestled his weapon away, the sheriff said.

The 15-year-old suspect was taken into custody, authorities said.

No students were injured, and Campbell County Comprehensive High School in Jacksboro, Tennessee, was locked down immediately after the shootings, said Judy Blevens, director of county schools. About 1,400 students are enrolled in the school. (Watch a report from the scene -- 2:26)

Campbell County Sheriff Ron McClellan identified the slain assistant principal as Ken Bruce, 48.

McClellan, who was at Bruce's side when he died, said it's not clear how many times the assistant principal was shot, but it appears the suspect used a small-caliber handgun, perhaps a .22.

Two other victims -- Principal Gary Seale and Assistant Principal Jim Pierce, who also is a track coach -- were airlifted to the University of Tennessee Medical Center. Pierce was in critical condition and Seale was in serious condition, hospital spokeswoman Lisa McNeal said Tuesday afternoon.

The student suspect allegedly slipped a gun under a napkin and fired at the administrators in a common area, CNN affiliate WATE reported.

Bruce was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in LaFollette, about five miles away. The suspect also was taken there for treatment of a gunshot wound to his right hand. He was seen hours later -- wearing glasses and a blood-spattered yellow shirt -- leaving the hospital and getting into a sheriff's vehicle.

He was taken to a juvenile facility in neighboring Scott County. Police already have taken statements from the suspect and were piecing together a motive Tuesday evening, McClellan said.

"I have no information firsthand of what type of motive or what would cause this individual to do this," McClellan told WATE, adding that the student's father had arrived at St. Mary's with a lawyer.

CNN affiliate WBIR interviewed a longtime friend of one of the administrators who said "everybody's very sad" and "in disbelief" after the attack.

One pupil described Bruce as someone who always lent a willing ear to the students. "He was a nice guy. If you went to talk to him about any problems you had, he'd be a person who would listen," said student Nathan Lawson.

As word of the shooting spread, a throng of concerned parents gathered outside the school. Authorities tried to assure them the students were OK and that dozens of police and deputies had secured the scene.

Buses and vehicles eventually were allowed onto campus to pick up students.

Jacksboro, a town of about 2,000 people, is in northeast Tennessee near the Kentucky border. It's about 35 miles northwest of Knoxville.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/08/tenn.scho...ting/index.html

[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

That is fucking sad.

I was talking to a police officer, my principal, my assistant principal, and another teacher while we all supervised prom last spring. I told them every school needs metal detectors. They should be mandatory. Schools only get them after someone is killed. Then it's too late for the victim(s).

I have no clue what it would cost to put metal detectors in every school in Missouri, but as a teacher, I think it's a necessary precaution in today's world.

And yes, if someone really wants to kill someone, they could probably do it outside of school. But at least (most of) it won't be done in front of our children.

Thoughts?
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(F the Cubs @ Nov 8 2005, 10:13 PM) Quoted post

That is fucking sad.

I was talking to a police officer, my principal, my assistant principal, and another teacher while we all supervised prom last spring. I told them every school needs metal detectors. They should be mandatory. Schools only get them after someone is killed. Then it's too late for the victim(s).

I have no clue what it would cost to put metal detectors in every school in Missouri, but as a teacher, I think it's a necessary precaution in today's world.

And yes, if someone really wants to kill someone, they could probably do it outside of school. But at least (most of) it won't be done in front of our children.

Thoughts?
      [/b][/quote]

I agree 10000000000000000000000% I have an 8th grader and I worry about his safety every day of my life......any parent does.

Yes they need em.

Comment

metal detectors should be mandatory in all schools.

Comment

How many more of these shootings need to take place in small town and suburban schools before people start taking action? IMO, there's still a mindset amongst the general population that these events on happen at Vashon and other inner city schools. Columbine, Jonesboro Ark, Paducah Ky, Sprinfield Ore, and more like this latest one paints a different color to the canvas.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

good times, good times.

Let's all send our unprotected children somewhere metal detectors are needed.

good luck with that free eduction.
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Nov 9 2005, 06:46 AM) Quoted post

good times, good times.

[/b][/quote]
              Hey, if they agree not to teach Intelligent Design and Flying Spaghetti Machines, the metal detectors are a good trade-off.

Comment

QUOTE(King @ Nov 9 2005, 05:52 AM) Quoted post
                QUOTE(lazydaze @ Nov 9 2005, 06:46 AM) Quoted post

good times, good times.

[/b][/quote]
                Hey, if they agree not to teach Intelligent Design and Flying Spaghetti Machines, the metal detectors are a good trade-off. [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                X