For the airplane guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the airplane guys

I was on this flight today. Apparently it was a big deal. Made the news in NY and all that. What's the take on this for the guys who know anything about this stuff?
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Embrear is an Isreali company who's recently entered the market for regional jet builders.

Comment

Great ... smaller planes.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 8 2005, 09:18 PM) Quoted post

Embrear is an Isreali company who's recently entered the market for regional jet builders.
        [/b][/quote]

U have the right company?

They are actually Brazilian and they have been in the regional jet biz for a long time.

http://www.embraer.com/english/content/home/

Comment

If this was a thread about helicopters, it would probably be funny.
          Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(hansolo @ Nov 8 2005, 08:20 PM) Quoted post
            QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 8 2005, 09:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

U have the right company?

They are actually Brazilian and they have been in the regional jet biz for a long time.

http://www.embraer.com/english/content/home/ [/b][/quote]

Hmm. Do they have some offices in Israel? I know there's a guy who I work with that was heading up our Embraer program capture who never hesitated to go over to Israel.

I've heard of the company before. Wonder why the introduction of the 190 is news unless it's JetBlue's attempt at promoting the fact they've spent money on a new plane. It could also be that the introduction of the ERJ 190 was to coincide with a JetBlue flight.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Nov 8 2005, 08:27 PM) Quoted post

If this was a thread about helicopters, it would probably be funny.
              [/b][/quote]
              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

What was your vector, Victor?
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 8 2005, 08:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Is Embrear different from Embraer? Embraer is a Brazilian company who also manufactures prop planes. I used to ground handle their 30 seat prop planes (the EMB-120) a while back when I worked at Lambert. They're the ones who make the aircraft Lippa is talking about.

A 100-seat RJ is almost not even an RJ. TWA's 717s had a capacity of 110 (and a first class cabin), I believe. Those things were brand new, and I thought from the get-go that American should have taken those planes. They'd be perfect for a whole lot of domestic routes right now, and they'd still be pretty new. I'm even more convinced now that we should have kept them. They'd beat the hell out of the MD-80 on many routes, from a business standpoint. And I'm sure they were more fuel-efficient.

Lippa, Embraer has a good reputation for their RJs. I haven't followed the news closely of JetBlue and their RJ launch. I'm guessing that may have been one of their first flights with it that you were on. Before buying the RJs, JetBlue was only flying A-330's from Airbus. I still can't believe they were flying those beasts to the short-haul markets they were flying in the Northeast. I'm guessing that's why they went with the 100 seat RJs.

Edit: I now have read the press release, and it appears that this was their first flight with the 190. I also see HanSolo has already pointed out that Embraer is a Brazilian aircraft manufacturer.
                  " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

The big deal about this is that the airline industry has been using smaller, 50 or so passenger regional jets and they are about to go the way of the dinosaur, to be replaced by these 100 passenger jets. (for reasons I have yet to see explained satisfactorily, the smaller regional jets have not been profitable) Several airlines have cancelled their orders for the smaller jets and it is my understanding the Embraer was one of the manufacturers who was left with a lot of cancelled orders. Naturally, Jet Blue, not any of the bigger carriers, is leading this charge.
                    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Nov 8 2005, 09:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Nov 8 2005, 09:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        [/b][/quote]

Ever seen a grown man naked?
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Nov 8 2005, 09:11 PM) Quoted post
                          QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Nov 8 2005, 08:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Is Embrear different from Embraer? Embraer is a Brazilian company who also manufactures prop planes. I used to ground handle their 30 seat prop planes (the EMB-120) a while back when I worked at Lambert. They're the ones who make the aircraft Lippa is talking about.

A 100-seat RJ is almost not even an RJ. TWA's 717s had a capacity of 110 (and a first class cabin), I believe. Those things were brand new, and I thought from the get-go that American should have taken those planes. They'd be perfect for a whole lot of domestic routes right now, and they'd still be pretty new. I'm even more convinced now that we should have kept them. They'd beat the hell out of the MD-80 on many routes, from a business standpoint. And I'm sure they were more fuel-efficient.

Lippa, Embraer has a good reputation for their RJs. I haven't followed the news closely of JetBlue and their RJ launch. I'm guessing that may have been one of their first flights with it that you were on. Before buying the RJs, JetBlue was only flying A-330's from Airbus. I still can't believe they were flying those beasts to the short-haul markets they were flying in the Northeast. I'm guessing that's why they went with the 100 seat RJs.

[/b][/quote]

Embrear = Embraer (just misspelled) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

And, I agree about any "RJ" less than 100 seats being obsolete. Actually, I can see where a business would buy old 50 seaters and retrofit them as deluxe business jets. Especially if said company sends a significant sized teams on trips quite a bit. Not to mention all that space doesn't have to be used specifically for seating.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Nov 8 2005, 09:15 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Nov 8 2005, 09:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

Ever seen a grown man naked?
                            [/b][/quote]
                            concentrate... concentrate... I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate... Hello?... hello... hello... Echo... echo... echo... Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Nov 8 2005, 09:11 PM) Quoted post

The big deal about this is that the airline industry has been using smaller, 50 or so passenger regional jets and they are about to go the way of the dinosaur, to be replaced by these 100 passenger jets. (for reasons I have yet to see explained satisfactorily, the smaller regional jets have not been profitable) Several airlines have cancelled their orders for the smaller jets and it is my understanding the Embraer was one of the manufacturers who was left with a lot of cancelled orders. Naturally, Jet Blue, not any of the bigger carriers, is leading this charge.
                              [/b][/quote]

Not true. The 50-seaters aren't going anywhere. And they are definitely profitable.
                              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                              X