• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrat Wins Virginia

BC-APNewsAlert,0023

RICHMOND (AP) - Democratic Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine has won the
    Virginia governor's race.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Does he know Byrd from the Klan?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

should we be excited?
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Nov 8 2005, 09:10 PM) Quoted post

should we be excited?
        [/b][/quote]

Embarrassed?
        No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
        President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
        President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

How is that a shift? I thought Mark Warner, the existing governor, was a democrat. Right?

Comment

Comment

Never mind, he is a democrat.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 8 2005, 09:15 PM) Quoted post

How is that a shift? I thought Mark Warner, the existing governor, was a democrat. Right?
                [/b][/quote]

shshhhhh
                No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Nov 8 2005, 08:10 PM) Quoted post

should we be excited?
                  [/b][/quote]

Seriously?

I think this has rather interesting ramifications considering that Virginia is a Republican state and has been ever since the Reagan era. This could be the beginning of a political shift in this country.
                  *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(mw.2 @ Nov 8 2005, 08:16 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

shshhhhh [/b][/quote]
                    Hahaha. I thought I missed something. I expected VA and NJ governors to stay democrat.

It'll be interesting to see what we did in Kirkwood today.

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Nov 8 2005, 08:17 PM) Quoted post

should we be excited?
                      [/b][/quote]

Seriously?

I think this has rather interesting ramifications considering that Virginia is a Republican state and has been ever since the Reagan era. This could be the beginning of a shift. [/b][/quote]
                      So you're happy you kept the governorship of Virginia? Maybe that's the issue with the democrats? They're happy holding onto what they have. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 8 2005, 08:17 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

shshhhhh [/b][/quote]
                        Hahaha. I thought I missed something. I expected VA and NJ governors to stay democrat.

[/b][/quote]

Mark Warner is planning on running for President in '08. Therefore, he didn't run here.

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Nov 8 2005, 08:23 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

shshhhhh [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Mark Warner is planning on running for President in '08. Therefore, he didn't run here. [/b][/quote]

Ok, I understand that. How's it shift though? Current governor democrat. Newly elected one democrat.

What shift are you talking about?

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 8 2005, 08:27 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dhaab @ Nov 8 2005, 08:23 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

shshhhhh [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Mark Warner is planning on running for President in '08. Therefore, he didn't run here. [/b][/quote]

Ok, I understand that. How's it shift though? Current governor democrat. Newly elected one democrat.

What shift are you talking about?
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Delusions of grandeur?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 8 2005, 08:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dhaab @ Nov 8 2005, 08:17 PM) Quoted post

should we be excited?
                              [/b][/quote]

Seriously?

I think this has rather interesting ramifications considering that Virginia is a Republican state and has been ever since the Reagan era. This could be the beginning of a shift. [/b][/quote]
                              So you're happy you kept the governorship of Virginia? Maybe that's the issue with the democrats? They're happy holding onto what they have. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                              [/b][/quote]

Maybe this will help explain it to you a little better...

-Republicans fear Bush address before election-

After a tiring four-day trip to Latin America, President George W. Bush was due to address a crowd of several thousand on Monday night in Richmond at what was optimistically dubbed a “Virginia Victory Rally”, ahead of Tuesday’s vote in the tight gubernatorial race.

Mr Bush’s ability to mobilise the republican grassroots could play a key role in electing Jerry Kilgore, the Republican candidate, who has watched his double-digit lead shrink to zero. Yet the president’s decision to attend also carries a risk for both men, threatening to make the Virginia election a referendum on Mr Bush’s diminishing political and electoral appeal.

There is clearly concern among Republicans and the White House over the prospect that both of the two governors’ races Tuesday – in Virginia and New Jersey – could be lost. That would add to fears about prospects for 2006 and reinforce the instincts of candidates to distance themselves from a president whose ratings have fallen to 39 per cent.

In Virginia, Mr Kilgore appeared to be doing just that. When Mr Bush gave a keynote speech on the war on terror last month in Richmond, Mr Kilgore was notable by his absence, using the politically convenient excuse of “scheduling conflicts”. Senator John McCain used the same excuse last week – this time at Mr Kilgore’s expense – to explain why he would not be present for a public endorsement.

Indeed, the race so far has been notable for the lack of Republican notables, says Bob Holsworth, director of the Center for Public Policy at Virginia Commonwealth University. “We haven’t had Tom DeLay [former House majority leader] or Senator Bill Frist [Senate majority leader] in. We have not had the normal parade of national figures in the state that has been so reliably Republican in presidential elections since 1964. It illustrates the national problem with the Republican party. All we’ve seen is the president and vice-president used for fundraising.”

Yet with polls showing his Democrat opponent, Timothy Kaine, the current lieutenant governor, pulling ahead, Mr Kilgore has turned back to the president. “Kilgore’s problem is his own high negatives and, in an off-year election when turnout is the biggest issue, Bush remains his best asset,” said one Republican strategist. “It shows that the essential Republican strategy remains motivation of the base, rather than creating a broader appeal.”

Mr Bush could do with a boost after some of the toughest weeks of his presidency. Yesterday morning he struck a poignant note in Panama City, when he looked beyond his embattled presidency to a more leisurely future. “After I’m president I’ll come back and go fishing with him,” he said he had told President Martin Torrijos.

In the meantime, a win by Mr Kilgore would help heal Mr Bush’s political wounds and show he can still make a difference in close races. Yet the White House is prepared for the worst. “If he loses, Republicans will claim that the Virginia and New Jersey results have never been a predictor of anything,” said one strategist.

Tucker Martin, press spokesman for Mr Kilgore, said: “The president is popular in Virginia and the state is conservative by nature.”

Comment

Working...
                              X