Buying a new TV....LCD or Plasma??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new TV....LCD or Plasma??

I'm getting ready to purchase a new TV, but I need a little help in trying to figure out which is the better of the two choices between LCD or Plasma.

First let me tell you that I'm looking for a 42"-52", but I don't wanna spend any more than $4k and would like to keep it a little lower if possible (obviously). I'd rather get feedback from people who actually own one or the other before I head out to hear the mindfuck of Mr. Salesguy.

Any suggestions or opinions that could help me make this decision would be appreciated since I have heard good and bad things about both from a couple of friends.

There should be a HoF for electronics threads.

Seriously.

Why the fuck go through this every three weeks?
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Get a big one....with a remote.

You don't want to have to get up to change channels.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Do not ask about flash memory. Ever. Even though you end up being right in the end you will be set ablaze.

With that said, how long do you plan on having the TV? Will you be upgrading in the next few years?

Comment

http://www.avsforum.com

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 8 2005, 05:55 PM) Quoted post

Do not ask about flash memory. Ever. Even though you end up being right in the end you will be set ablaze.
            [/b][/quote]
            I'm dying laughing here today... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

With that said, how long do you plan on having the TV? Will you be upgrading in the next few years?
              [/b][/quote]

For something like this, I figure that I'd like to keep it for at least 10 years or so. I've heard that both have a pretty long life, but LCD will last longer. The bad thing that I heard about Plasma was something called "burn in". ??? Is that the same as the "flash memory" you're talking about? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Nov 8 2005, 04:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

For something like this, I figure that I'd like to keep it for at least 10 years or so. I've heard that both have a pretty long life, but LCD will last longer. The bad thing that I heard about Plasma was something called "burn in". ??? Is that the same as the "flash memory" you're talking about? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                [/b][/quote]
                [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]

I agree with Ohio, this place has been killing me today.

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Nov 8 2005, 03:51 PM) Quoted post
                  There should be a HoF for electronics threads.

Seriously.

Why the fuck go through this every three weeks?

[/b][/quote]

Technology changes every week.
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Nov 8 2005, 04:50 PM) Quoted post

I'm getting ready to purchase a new TV, but I need a little help in trying to figure out which is the better of the two choices between LCD or Plasma.

First let me tell you that I'm looking for a 42"-52", but I don't wanna spend any more than $4k and would like to keep it a little lower if possible (obviously). I'd rather get feedback from people who actually own one or the other before I head out to hear the mindfuck of Mr. Salesguy.

Any suggestions or opinions that could help me make this decision would be appreciated since I have heard good and bad things about both from a couple of friends.
                    [/b][/quote]

Under 4Gs?
                    You're looking at 42" then. I can't really help you on selecting a model because I spent over that.

However
                    LCD vs. Plasma is a fairly old debate.

Generally speaking, LCD's look a bit better in natural light (less prone to "wash-out") than Plasmas. Additionally, LCD's tend to be thinner, lighter, generate less heat, and are much less fragile. Plasmas have a better refresh rate.
                    There really isn't any concern any more about "burn-in" for Plasmas anymore, and the contrast ratios are comparable. (Plasmas always give 4000:1 contrast in their brochures. That's bullshit. It's about 300-400:1)

Thing is if you over 42" you almost have to get a Plasma, and at 42" it's often more cost effective to go Plasma.

Main thing is to make sure you get a Vendor that's good, even if it means spending a couple hundred more.
                    (And if the salesman says anything about "recharging" the Plasma, turn around and walk out. Stupidity is incurable.)
                    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                    "I didn't know you
                    had any feelings"

Comment

LCD is cheaper and plenty lightweight and has been very good to me thus far.
                      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Seriously though, head over to http://www.avsforum.com Those guys are TV geeks.

Comment

LCD.

I have one.

Love it love it.

Plasma does not last as long and LCD 'lamps' can be replaced, and by the time they'll need it 6-8 years they will be cheap
                          Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

QUOTE(SunuvaNun @ Nov 8 2005, 06:01 PM) Quoted post

Thing is if you over 42" you almost have to get a Plasma, and at 42" it's often more cost effective to go Plasma.
                            [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I'll throw in my two cents: Samsung DLP.

Comment

Working...
                              X