Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL GDT 11-8-05

Flyers-Bruins Preview

The Philadelphia Flyers will try to extend a pair of winning streaks when they play host to the Boston Bruins at the Wachovia Center.

Philadelphia comes into this contest having won three straight overall and six in a row on home ice.

Boston is looking to match its season high with its third straight win.

Both teams are among the league's best offenses. Philadelphia's 56 goals scored lead the Atlantic Division and is good for third in the Eastern Conference behind Boston (57) and the Ottawa Senators (64).

Philadelphia does have the league's leading goal scorer in Simon Gagne. The six-year veteran recorded his second career hat trick Saturday in the Flyers' 4-3 win over the Atlanta Thrashers.

Eight of his 15 goals have come during a five-game points streak.

"Simon is kind of everywhere right now," Philadelphia's Peter Forsberg said. "He's putting the puck in the net, and he's making me and Mike (Knuble) just enjoy the ride."

Forsberg, a noted free-agent signing after the lockout, has four goals and nine assists during a five-game run. Knuble has four goals and four assists during a four-game streak.

Knuble recorded a career-best 59 points with the Bruins in 2002-03.

Philadelphia goaltender Robert Esche has won his last four games, but is 0-3 all-time against the Bruins, with a 3.58 goals-against average and .866 save percentage.

The Bruins have won two straight after a 6-3 win Saturday over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Jiri Slegr had two power-play goals in a 35-second span in the first period and center Joe Thornton also scored twice.

Thornton has four goals and seven assists during a five-game streak. Against Philadelphia, though, he has struggled with just one assist in his last seven games.

Left wing Sergei Samsonov will also to try keep his points streak going. He has three goals and five assists in his last six games.

STANDINGS (through Nov. 7): Bruins - 18 points, 3rd place, 5 PB, Northeast Division. Flyers - 17 points, 2nd place, 2 PB, Atlantic Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Bruins - Glen Murray, 8 goals; Thornton, 17 assists and 23 points; Slegr, 26 PIM. Flyers - Gagne, 15 goals; Forsberg, 21 assists and 25 points; Donald Brashear, 24 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through Nov. 7): Bruins - Power play: 19 percent (20 for 105), 13th in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.1 percent (90 for 107), 10th. Flyers - Power play: 20.8 percent (20 for 96), 7th. Penalty killing: 76.4 percent (65 for 85), 28th.

GOALTENDERS: Bruins - Hannu Toivonen (4-1-2, 0, 3.16); Jordan Sigalet (no appearances). Flyers - Esche (6-2-1, 0, 2.89); Antero Niittymaki (2-1-0, 0, 4.59).

2003-04 SEASON SERIES: Bruins, 2-1-1-0.

LAST MEETING: Feb. 28, 2004; Bruins, 3-2 (OT). At Boston, Murray scored 1:21 into overtime and Andrew Raycroft tied the mark for the most wins (22) by a Boston rookie goaltender in 22 years.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Bruins - 3-3-3 on the road; Flyers - 6-1-0 at home.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Let's go BRUINS!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Nov 8 2005, 04:38 PM) Quoted post

GOALTENDERS: Bruins - Hannu Toivonen (4-1-2, 0, 3.16); Jordan Sigalet (no appearances). Flyers - Esche (6-2-1, 0, 2.89); Antero Niittymaki (2-1-0, 0, 4.59).
      [/b][/quote]

I think Raycroft is supposed to come off the DL later this afternoon...

Comment

Go Fly Guys!!!
        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!

Comment

Go Bruins!

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Nov 8 2005, 03:54 PM) Quoted post

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!
              [/b][/quote]

++
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Knuble set to line up for a reunion

The Flyers winger, on the top line here, served the same role with the Bruins.

By Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Staff Writer

You don't spend three NHL seasons skating on the same line without developing a certain fondness for your linemates, even after one has departed.

Mike Knuble, Joe Thornton and Glen Murray formed that bond with the Boston Bruins. Knuble signed with the Flyers as a free agent in July 2004 before the lockout, breaking up an extraordinary unit that produced 88 goals and 211 points in 2003-04.

Tonight, the Bruins will come to town, with Sergei Samsonov having replaced Knuble on the top line with Thornton and Murray.

It will mark the first time that Knuble, who spent 41/2 seasons in Boston, can get reacquainted with his former linemates and introduce himself as part of the Flyers' top line with Simon Gagne and Peter Forsberg.

"Some guys leave organizations and play revenge games, and I don't see that at all," Knuble said yesterday. "You want to play well against the team you played for before. Boston was the longest place I had ever been. I have lots of friends there."

The two lines could match up tonight. Thornton's line has 21 goals and 58 points. Forsberg's line has 26 goals and 62 points. Thornton's line is bigger. Forsberg's line is quicker.

"We weighed more in Boston," Knuble joked. "They are very parallel. They have dominant centers and at least one guy on each line is known as a finisher. Simon has the most incredible start I have seen. Murray is a pure goal scorer. Joe and Peter can play any style you want to play. [The lines] are carbon copies, almost."

At 6-foot-4, 223 pounds, Thornton is a genuine power forward and one of the best all-around centers in the NHL. Forsberg is three inches smaller and 18 pounds lighter, but has quite a knack for finding open teammates on the ice.

The interesting thing is that with the Bruins and Flyers, Knuble has basically been the silent partner, if you will: the guy who showed up, got the work done, and went unnoticed.

Thornton had 73 points in 2003-04 while Murray had 44 goals. No wonder Knuble went unnoticed with 21 goals. Even now, Knuble's seven goals and 14 points go unnoticed because Gagne has 15 goals while Forsberg has 21 assists and 25 points.

"I'm kind of like the supporting guy," Knuble said. "I decided millions of times before: I just want to complement the way people play. Joe and Glen were a huge part of my career and the success I have had.

"I owe 99.9 percent of it to those two. Those guys were so instrumental in the success of my career, I can't talk about it enough. I can't convey how good they were for me."

In Boston, Knuble's role was different. Thornton, being on the physical end of things, did a lot of the dirty work.

"With Thornton, they played a dot-to-dot game," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "Joe played behind the net. Both Murray and Knuble played off the [face-off] dots. Here, Mike goes into the corner and pulls [the puck] off the boards more. He has to be able to make those adjustments."

The biggest adjustment here, Knuble said, is actually getting a good read on what Forsberg wants to do.

"I try to figure out how he wants to play," Knuble said. "Do I come near him? Do I help him out when he wants to battle? It's all part of figuring out how you fit in with them, how you help them do your best."

Coming Up With the Best Line

Forward Mike Knuble has played with some of the best lines in hockey in the last few years. The former Bruin will face his old team tonight. Here's the line on his old and new No. 1 lines:

Mike Knuble-Joe Thornton-Glen Murray

2003-04 season with Bruins

Knuble: 21 goals, 25 assists, 46 points

Thornton: 23 goals, 50 assists, 73 points

Murray: 44 goals, 48 assists, 92 points

Line: 88 goals, 123 assists, 211 points

Simon Gagne-Peter Forsberg-Mike Knuble

2005-06 (12 games with Flyers)

Gagne: 15 goals, 8 assists, 23 points

Forsberg: 4 goals, 21 assists, 25 points

Knuble: 7 goals, 7 assists, 14 points

Line: 26 goals, 36 assists, 62 points

[/b][/quote]

Comment

Maybe it is because the Blues suck so bad, but I have no desire to watch hockey this season.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                  Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Forsberg is on pace for 170 points this season. I like the Flyers, but I hate Forsberg and Hatcher too much.

Go Bruins!

Comment

QUOTE(BlueBrained @ Nov 8 2005, 04:27 PM) Quoted post

Maybe it is because the Blues suck so bad, but I have no desire to watch hockey this season.
                      [/b][/quote]

++

I need a new team to root for in both conferences, while keeping a corner of my eye on the Blues' record-breaking efforts.

I'm really thinking about the Flyers in the East...unless 210's boys prove me wrong tonight...there's a lot at stake here!

In the West, I think I'll keep an eye on the Flames...love watching Iginla play.

MyNHL rolls on...
                      I leave for two days...

Comment

I'd love to watch some fucking hockey, but I haven't seen one damn game this year.

Comment

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Nov 8 2005, 05:36 PM) Quoted post

I'd love to watch some fucking hockey, but I haven't seen one damn game this year.
                            [/b][/quote]

Why not?

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Nov 8 2005, 04:48 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Nov 8 2005, 05:36 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Why not?
                              [/b][/quote]
                              I don't get OLN here at school, nor do I get FSMW.

Wait, I have seen two Blackhawks games on Comcast. But that doesn't really count as professional hockey. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X