Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pappy O'Daniel was a war hero

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Durning

I honestly had no idea. He survived Malmedy???!?!?! Holy shit.
    I like cheese.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the story.

Comment

Durning served as a U.S. Army Ranger in World War II, during which he was awarded a Silver Star and three Purple Heart medals. As a 21-year-old infantryman, he was part of the first wave of men to land on Omaha Beach on D Day in the Normandy Invasion. One of his injuries took place in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was one of the few survivors of the infamous Malmédy massacre on American POWs. Durning is well-known for participating in various functions to honor American veterans. He has said he still suffers from nightmares about his war experiences. After the war, Durning worked various jobs. While working as a ballroom dance instructor (he had some training in classical dance) he was noticed and cast in the New York Shakespeare Festival. He has since performed in some 32 plays, and in 1990 he won the Tony Award for "Featured Actor in a Play" for his role in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.[/b][/quote]

(for those to lazy to click)

3 Purple Hearts, first wave up the beach and onto the heights at Omaha Beach, and a Silver Star?

Again, holy shit. I never knew any of this.
      I like cheese.

Comment

I didn't know about this incident. Love learning things about this, so thanks for the link.

I am usually very satisfied with Wikipedia entries, though this was curious under Battle of the Bulge:

I didn't know there were cities called syrup and waffles, nor did I know the Germans used marijuana.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 7 2005, 10:22 AM) Quoted post

I didn't know about this incident. Love learning things about this, so thanks for the link.

I am usually very satisfied with Wikipedia entries, though this was curious under Battle of the Bulge:

I didn't know there were cities called syrup and waffles, nor did I know the Germans used marijuana.
          [/b][/quote]

That Raskolnikov Smirnoff was an underrated military genius!

BTW, another one a buddy just hepped me on: the late James Doohan ("Scotty" from Star Trek) was in the first wave of Canadians up Juno Beach. He was hit 6 times (shot 4 times in the leg), once in the chest (it hit a silver cigarette lighter), and had his middle finger on his right hand shot off.
          I like cheese.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 7 2005, 10:22 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            Wow from 41 Febtober to 13 Smarch, that is harsh.

Damned Smarch weather!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Nov 7 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

BTW, another one a buddy just hepped me on: the late James Doohan ("Scotty" from Star Trek) was in the first wave of Canadians up Juno Beach. He was hit 6 times (shot 4 times in the leg), once in the chest (it hit a silver cigarette lighter), and had his middle finger on his right hand shot off.
              [/b][/quote]

I never noticed Scotty missing a finger -- did they sew it back on or just hide it from the cameras?
              "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
              X