At Least 22 Dead After IND, KY Tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least 22 Dead After IND, KY Tornado

Talked to my Dad a bit ago and he said while no tornadoes touched down right where they live, it was a pretty stormy night for them. They are right across the Ohio River from Evansville and the next county over from Henderson.

At Least 22 Dead After Ind., Ky. Tornado

By DEANNA MARTIN, Associated Press Writer 24 minutes ago

EVANSVILLE, Ind. - A tornado tore across western Kentucky and Indiana early Sunday, killing at least 22 people as it cut through a mobile home park and obliterated trailers and houses as residents slept.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The tornado, with winds of at least 158 mph, hit a horse racing track near Henderson, Ky., then jumped into Indiana around 2 a.m.

"It was just a real loud roar. It didn't seem like it lasted over 45 seconds to a minute, then it was calm again," said Steve Gaiser, who lives near the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park in Evansville.

At least 17 people were killed in the mobile home park, according to Eric Williams of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department.

More people were believed to still be trapped in the debris, and National Guard units were called in to help with search-and-recovery efforts. At least 200 people were injured during the storm.

"They were in trailer homes, homes that were just torn apart by the storm, so they're just now getting in there trying to find people," said deputy Vanderburgh county coroner Annie Groves. "It's just terrible."

Rescuers on the scene since 2 a.m. reported seeing children wandering the area looking for their parents and parents searching for missing children. Children's bicycles and other toys were strewn amid the debris of aluminum siding, mattresses, chairs and insulation.

Five other people were confirmed dead in neighboring Warrick County, east of Evansville, where the Ohio River city of Newburgh was hit. No deaths were reported in Kentucky.

The storm reduced homes to splinters and scattered debris across the countryside. Entire blocks of buildings were nothing but rubble.

Indiana homeland security spokeswoman Pam Bright said about 100 of the 350 or so homes in at the Evansville mobile home park were destroyed and 125 others there were damaged.

Larry and Christie Brown rode out the storm inside one mobile home.

"Man, it was more than words can say," Larry Brown said. "We opened the door and there wasn't anything sitting there."

Chad Bennett, assistant fire chief in Newburgh, told CNN that sirens sounded, but most people didn't hear them because it happened in the middle of the night.

The tornado developed in a line of thunderstorms that rolled rapidly eastward across the Ohio Valley. The
    National Weather Service had posted severe thunderstorm warnings for sections of northern Ohio.

Ryan Presley, a weather service meteorologist in Paducah, Ky., said a single tornado touched down near Smith Mills in western Kentucky, jumped the river and cut a 15- to 20-mile swath through Indiana's Vanderburgh and Warrick counties.

The tornado appeared to be at least an F3 on the Fujita scale, which ranges from F0, the weakest, to F5, the strongest. An F3 has winds ranging from 158 mph to 206 mph, and the tornado that hit on Sunday may have been even stronger, Presley said.

Warrick County Sheriff Marvin Heilman said the victims included a woman who was eight months' pregnant, her husband and a young child in the rural town of Degonia Springs. A teenage girl was also killed near Boonville, and her father was critically injured, he said.

Tim Martin, 42, was at his parents' mobile home when they heard the wind and then the tornado picked up the home and shoved into the neighbor's yard.

He and his parents escaped unharmed, but they heard several neighbors calling for help. A nearby mobile home was overturned, and another appeared to have been obliterated.

"All I could see was debris," he said. "I thought it was a bad dream."

Patty Ellerbusch, 53, said she and her husband were in bed at their hilltop home in Newburgh when a relative called and warned them of the tornado. They heard a low roar and ran for the basement.

She made it downstairs, but her husband did not. He was blasted with shattered drywall, wood and other debris as the tornado shredded the home's roof.

"He was running down the hallway, and it knocked him down and ripped his glasses off. He said it felt like being in a wind tunnel," she said. The storm stripped the roof off the couple's home and destroyed their barn.

Bright said it was the deadliest tornado in Indiana since April 3, 1974, when an outbreak of several tornadoes killed 47 people and destroyed 2,069 homes.

The Ellis Park racetrack, between Evansville and Henderson, Ky., had significant damage to barns, the grandstand and other buildings, and some workers were injured, said Paul Kuerzi, the track's vice president and general manager.

"It appears at this point that three horses have died from injuries suffered in storm. It's too early to know if any other horses were injured," Kuerzi said. About 150 horses in training were stabled there.

Mike Roeder, a spokesman for utility company Vectren, said 25,000 homes were without power Sunday. There also were reports of natural gas leaks.[/b][/quote]
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
    Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
    Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
    Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
    NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
    LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Daisy - my wife and I noticed this too - especially the 158 miles per hour winds.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Nov 6 2005, 06:57 PM) Quoted post

Daisy - my wife and I noticed this too - especially the 158 miles per hour winds.
      [/b][/quote]
      He said stuff was blown everywhere in their yard and sticks and limbs were all over the place. He even brought the dog in so it must have been pretty bad.

Comment

Most of our relatives live from Indiana to Kentucky, so our family was sweating this out too.....Grandparents, aunts and uncles heavily concentrated around Evansville and Mt. Vernon, and more in KY.

I think one of our relatives in Newburg had some damage to their home, but aside from that, everyone was all right.

Comment

I really thought there was a tornado in Hermann last night. I have never been in one, never been close to one, but it sure had that "feel" about it. My kids were freaked as was I, but I couldn't show that.
          Feb. 08, 2005
          Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
          Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
          Originally posted by Airshark
          NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Seems like they always hit trailer parks
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Did FEMA do OK?
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Nov 7 2005, 09:24 AM) Quoted post

Seems like they always hit trailer parks
                [/b][/quote]

Trailer parks are the natural enemies of tornadoes...

Comment

Here are some pictures of the tornado damage that were taken by a sheriff's deputy in Henderson County that were sent to me by my Dad:

Some of the pictures were taken at the Ellis Park race track in Henderson. The message from my Dad said the entire area looked as if it had been hit by a bomb, and well, it does.

Comment

22 dead in IN and KY?

Call it a healthy thinning of the heard.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Nov 8 2005, 10:26 AM) Quoted post

22 dead in IN and KY?

[/b][/quote]
                      Oh that's funny. I'm sure the parents of the 3 kids, all under the age of 6, that were killed will certainly look at it that way too.

Comment

QUOTE(Daisy Mae @ Nov 8 2005, 10:30 AM) Quoted post

22 dead in IN and KY?

[/b][/quote]
                        Oh that's funny. I'm sure the parents of the 3 kids, all under the age of 6, that were killed will certainly look at it that way too.
                        [/b][/quote]

Too Soon?
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

This was a racist tornado.

Signed,

Jerry Jackson, jesse's white cousin

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Nov 8 2005, 10:32 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Daisy Mae @ Nov 8 2005, 10:30 AM) Quoted post

22 dead in IN and KY?

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

Too Soon?
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Yeah just a bit. You may want to wait until they finish draining all the retention ponds around the trailer park because they think there may be more bodies to be found. Not everyone has yet been accounted for and some of those still missing are children. Also there are at least 4 children in one family that were orphaned in the storm.

Comment

fuckin Michael Brown
                              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                              X