X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor: Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists

Mayor: Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists

Sat Nov 5,11:19 AM ET

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman has suggested that those who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

Goodman, appearing Wednesday on the "Nevada Newsmakers" television show, said, "In the old days in France, they had beheading of people who commit heinous crimes.

"You know, we have a beautiful highway landscaping redevelopment in our downtown. We have desert tortoises and beautiful paintings of flora and fauna. These punks come along and deface it.

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor added. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested that whippings or canings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

"I also believe in a little bit of corporal punishment going back to the days of yore, where examples have to be shown," Goodman said.

"I'm dead serious," said Goodman, adding, "Some of these (children) don't learn. You have got to teach them a lesson, and this is coming from a criminal defense lawyer."

"They would get a trial first," he added.

Another panelist on the show, Howard Rosenberg, a state university system regent, responded by saying that cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

object > people ?

Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack.[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Nov 6 2005, 08:32 AM) Quoted post

"You know, we have a beautiful highway landscaping redevelopment in our downtown. [/b][/quote]

Those eight lane divided highway projects are often things of exquisite beauty.
      From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Nov 6 2005, 09:41 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

INSTANT CLASSIC!

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Nov 6 2005, 08:41 AM) Quoted post

object > people ?

[/b][/quote]

I had a nun in grade school that used that line.
          The Redman

Sponsorship Available
          Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

My dad used that line back when I was about five. That's was about 1963. One of the alltime great lines, along with "If someone shoved your brain up a gnat's ass, it'll fly backwards".

I love my dad.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

What's wrong with cutting off the thumbs?

If you know that's what'll happen if you do it, then you take that chance.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 11:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

You'd make a good fundamentalist muslim. Nothing wrong with cutting off the hands of thieves either, right?
                Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

How productive can one be without their thumbs? You've never defaced anything? Not even written something on a shit house wall?
                  The Redman

Sponsorship Available

Comment

QUOTE(stlredman @ Nov 6 2005, 10:12 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

How productive can one be without their thumbs? You've never defaced anything? Not even written something on a shit house wall? [/b][/quote]
                    Sure, but I am pretty sure cutting off my thumbs wasn't the penalty. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

How many people have you murdered lately?

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 10:16 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

How productive can one be without their thumbs? You've never defaced anything? Not even written something on a shit house wall? [/b][/quote]
                      Sure, but I am pretty sure cutting off my thumbs wasn't the penalty. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

But it could have been the penalty. Why stop at graffitti on freeway walls? What's the difference?
                      The Redman

Sponsorship Available

Comment

Art should not be a crime.
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(stlredman @ Nov 6 2005, 10:21 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

But it could have been the penalty. Why stop at graffitti on freeway walls? What's the difference? [/b][/quote]
                          What do you mean? It's not the penalty, and if it were I am pretty sure everyone would know. If they didn't then they become the poster boy for it.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 10:25 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(stlredman @ Nov 6 2005, 10:21 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

But it could have been the penalty. Why stop at graffitti on freeway walls? What's the difference? [/b][/quote]
                            What do you mean? It's not the penalty, and if it were I am pretty sure everyone would know. If they didn't then they become the poster boy for it.
                            [/b][/quote]

The point is that the punishment does not fit the crime.
                            The Redman

Sponsorship Available

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 11:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Should the punishment fit the crime?

Or far exceed the crime?

(I don't believe you'd seriously support such extremism)
                              Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Working...
                              X