Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Sports Figures you like to see lose ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Sports Figures you like to see lose ...

Source

From where I'm sitting, two of the worst losses in the NFL this season belong to the Dallas Cowboys.

Just as they did against the Redskins in Week 2, the Cowboys dominated the Seahawks in Week 7 for almost the entire game before surrendering two late scores — in this case a TD and a last-second field goal — in the final minutes to turn a hard-earned victory into a soul-crushing defeat.

And both losses can be laid squarely at the feet of Bill Parcells, who chose to pass at critical moments in both games when handing the ball off was clearly the way to go.

I realized how much I enjoyed watching Parcells lose and started thinking of other sports personalities whose hang-dog misery makes me happy. Herewith are my top 10 favorite sports personalities to watch lose:

10. Bill Parcells

Bill Parcells contemptuous attitude can make it easy to cheer against him. (Otto Greule Jr / Getty Images)

It's just fun to watch the guy with all the answers — for his players, for his coaches, for the media — flunk the test every now and then. Parcells is so condescending and so contemptuous of others when they make mistakes, that it's a sincere joy to watch the Tuna flounder in the pressure cooker of late-game decision-making.

Having Bledsoe firing away in the closing seconds against the Seahawks was pure Marty Mornhinweg.

9. Tony La Russa

Hi, I'm Tony La Russa, baseball genius. You could never understand all the things I'm seeing on a baseball diamond because my mind is so advanced, so finely tuned to the circadian rhythms of the game and your pea-brain is so small and easily duped by the allure of on-base percentage and other unimportant nonsense.

Please ignore my 5-12 World Series record and the fact that I've won only one ring despite making 10 trips to the postseason.

8. Kobe Bryant

Anyone expecting a big, heartfelt "my bad" out of Kobe's mouth after he contributed to the departure of Shaquille O'Neal and gunned his way through the Lakers' 48-loss season, shouldn't hold their breath.

Watching the me-first attitude fail in the ultimate team game never gets old. Was Kobe the only person who ever laced up a pair of hightops who didn't understand that Shaq made him a better player? And is there anyone in L.A. who is happy that the Lakers are Kobe's team?

7. Phil Helmuth

I would like to have Phil Helmuth losing poker hands playing on a loop in my house, office and car so any time I need a little pick-me-up I can just glance up at the screen and see the brat throwing a tantrum.

How is it that no one punches him in the face? Where's Ron Artest when you need him?

After his flameout in the 2005 World Series of Poker, Helmuth unleashed his usual class-free, profanity-laced "analysis" of what had just happened. Some of his more memorable lines were: "These are the worst players in the world;" "This guy can't spell poker;" and "If it wasn't for luck, I'd win a hell of a lot more of these tournaments."

Well, then, thank God for luck because nobody, I mean nobody, wants to watch this guy win.

6. Spike Lee

Please, baby, baby, please, get the hell off the court.

It takes a special someone to make me root for Reggie Miller, and Spike pulled it off. Never satisfied to just sit courtside and watch his Knicks come up short, Shorty has always had to inject himself into the action. Ultimately, of course, his running sideshow hurt the cause, bringing out the best in Miller who took a special satisfaction in silencing Lee and killing the Knicks.

5. Brian Billick

The dean, chancellor, president and provost of Blowhard U.

Brian Billick isn't as good as he thinks he is. (Jim McIsaac / Getty Images)

Dubbed an offensive genius when he was calling plays for the high-powered Vikings of the late '90s, the curtain was long ago pulled back on this fraud who stood flapping his arms on the sidelines while Marvin Lewis' defense won him a Super Bowl.

Ravens fans have given up on the hope that one day this charlatan might be able to generate a legit NFL offense in Baltimore. Right now they'd settle for a first down.

4. Bobby Knight

Part of the joy of watching Knight lose is that you know he is totally, inconsolably miserable. You almost forget that he's that way after he wins too.

Still, it's hard to imagine what would happened to Neil Reed's trachea if Knight hadn't been so thoroughly mellowed by those three NCAA titles at Indiana. As for the third one, I blame Derrick Coleman and Howard Triche for depriving us of some epic Robert Montgomery Knight misery by missing those free throws in 1987 and opening the door for Keith Smart.

3. George Steinbrenner

Possibly my favorite image in all of sports, sad George stewing behind a sheet of glass like a petulant child emperor who didn't get his way.

This makes five straight miserable winters for the Boss, which is only fair given how much misery he spreads around during the season. That a classy guy like Joe Torre has had to put up with so much crap and still comes back is testament to the fact that the skipper knows where the high road is even if the owner has never once taken it.

2. Roger Clemens

There was a time, of course, when I rooted for Roger Clemens every time he made a playoff start. He rarely won those games. In fact, as a member of the Red Sox, he won exactly one of his nine postseason starts.

Roger Clemens' inability to win a big game makes it easier to root against the future Hall of Famer. (Jed Jacobsohn / Getty Images)

Now he is the single reason that I cannot root for class acts Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell to finally get their rings. Yankees fans got a little taste of Clemens' loyalty when he "retired" to Houston.

In Game 1 of the World Series, Clemens made his 33rd postseason start and for the 22nd time failed to get a win. It was a good World Series.

1. Alex Rodriguez

Imagine this scenario: A superstar prices himself out of the small market where he's blossomed into the game's best player, even though the team is on the cusp of contending. Then, after extracting a $25M-a-year contract from his new team, he grouses that the organization he is gouging hasn't put a contending team on the field, apparently oblivious to the fact that it is his contract that has made it almost impossible to fill out a contending roster. So he orchestrates a trade to the one team that can afford him and surround him with superstars.

I think even Yankees fans secretly enjoy watching this prima donna lose. They sure seem to like piling on and pining for Scott Brosius after each playoff disappearing act.[/b][/quote]

Except for #2 I could go along with that list...

Comment

I like #'s 2 and 4.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Wow, no Al Davis and the Raiders? That pisses me off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Crap, I guess that just means that they're not winning enough anymore and nobody cares.

Oh well, my beloved Raiders will be back to being hated again someday by people other than Chef, Donk and Chargless fans. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Her's my top ten, in no particular order.

Don King, Dusty Baker and his Cubs gang), Bob Stoops, Bobby Bowden, Dennis Franchione, Terrel Owens, Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Ralph Sampson, and everything Notre Dame.

Comment

If we can add owners, I'd throw in Bidwell, and now Benson.

At the last game, although Benson had a private security force of 6, he charged that stadium "security was inadequate to nonexistent" and that his family could have been "severely injured or killed." Here's a picture-

From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

#9 is more intriguing.

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Nov 6 2005, 10:14 AM) Quoted post

#9 is more intriguing.
                [/b][/quote]

Not to me...I've never understood why people think he's a great manager.

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Nov 6 2005, 09:30 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Nov 6 2005, 10:14 AM) Quoted post

#9 is more intriguing.
                  [/b][/quote]

Not to me...I've never understood why people think he's a great manager.
                  [/b][/quote]

I sure don't think he is a great manager....in October. But he doesn't come off to me as an egotist. But that's just me.

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Nov 6 2005, 10:32 AM) Quoted post

But he doesn't come off to me as an egotist.
                    [/b][/quote]
                    ++

I'd put Kobe at the top of my list though. I hope the Lakers never win again [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

I'd throw Brett Farve up there. I'm beyond tired of everything Brett Farve.

Comment

QUOTE(Mark @ Nov 6 2005, 10:26 AM) Quoted post
                        I'd throw Brett Farve up there. I'm beyond tired of everything Brett Farve. [/b][/quote]
                        I used to be that way until this year.

Seeing Lance Armstrong lose would have been cool, but then again I'm a complete asshole.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 10:28 AM) Quoted post

I'd throw Brett Farve up there. I'm beyond tired of everything Brett Farve. [/b][/quote]

Seeing Lance Armstrong lose would have been cool, but then again I'm a complete asshole.
                          [/b][/quote]

Grote,

You're not the only a-hole when it comes to Lance Armstrong. I lost all respect for him when he dumped his wife who stood by him through his illness, only to take on Sheryl Crowe once he rose to the top.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Nov 6 2005, 10:31 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(pgrote @ Nov 6 2005, 10:28 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Grote,

You're not the only a-hole when it comes to Lance Armstrong. I lost all respect for him when he dumped his wife who stood by him through his illness, only to take on Sheryl Crowe once he rose to the top.
                            [/b][/quote]

It took a lot of "BALL" to do that... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd throw Brett Farve up there. I'm beyond tired of everything Brett Farve.
                              [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
                              Feb. 08, 2005
                              Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                              Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                              Originally posted by Airshark
                              NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X