Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbs???

I think.

I know we have had discussions regarding "orbs" before - I'm a newbie, but find them very interesting. Today one of my cousin's had a get together at her house, part of the festivities included a "hay ride" thru her and her husband's property, her in-laws property and their neighbor's property. This was all outside Hermann, MO (just on the N side of the MO River actually). Anyway, throughout all the picture taking festivities, I got some really cool pics of what I'm not sure if they are "orbs" and a creepy one from the bon fire which followed the "hay ride". I'll post them as soon as I get them uploaded (I'm on dial up so it will take a little bit).

Oh, and FTR, I don't know how possible this is but while one of the kids was taking a picture, we saw the "orbs" that were photographed while the flash was going off.

Anyway, I was just looking for thoughts before and after.
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Originally posted by Airshark
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

I was hoping to see a NSFW....orbs. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Orbs!

The name conjures up little balls of white light. Most orb photographs are taken with digital cameras under low-light conditions and are nothing more than digital flaws caused by lack of pixelation or filling of the proper colors due to a digital defect. I have viewed thousands of such pictures and they are nothing paranormal, especially when taken with older digital cameras.

See the article: Digital Cameras or Ghost Hunting at its Worst by Troy Taylor. Solution: always use another camera in conjunction with any digital camera especially under low-light conditions. Those not taken with digital cameras could be moisture droplets in the air illuminated by the flash unit, rain, blowing dust, snow or sometimes even small insects. Please be aware of the weather conditions under which you take your photographs.

--------------------------------------

Despite the claims, the majority of “orb photos” are not paranormal at all, but merely refractions of light on the camera lens. This occurs when the camera flash bounces back from something reflective in the range of the camera. When this happens, it creates a perfectly round ball of light that appears to be within the parameters of the photo but is actually just an image on the lens itself. Many people often mistake these orbs for genuine evidence of ghosts. These false orbs can also be created by bright lights in an area where the photo is being taken, by angles of light and by many types of artificial lighting.

When looking at “orb” photos, you will note that most of them occur when the camera flash is used. Some of the photographers will insist that their flash was not on, which means it was and they didn’t know it. The automatic exposure control on most any standard 35 mm camera uses fill flash in all but the brightest light. It should also be noted that “orbs” were actually quite rare before digital cameras became common. In the early days of low-cost, cheap digital cameras, some “ghost hunters” actually proposed that digital cameras are “superior for orb photography”. And since they were producing more “orb” photos, this was technically true. But the digital imaging chip is very different than traditional film photography and was far inferior until recent times. Some of the earlier, low-end digital cameras were made with CMOS chips and they would create “noise” in low-light photographs that would be mistaken for “orbs”. It seemed that when they were used in darkness, or near darkness, the resulting images were plagued with spots that appeared white or light colored and where the digital pixels had not all filled in. In this manner, the cameras were creating “orbs”, and they had no paranormal source at all.

If all of these problems exist with image anomalies --- “orbs” --- then is there any reason to believe that they might be paranormal at all? I believe that there are legitimate photos of what are anomalous, round balls of light that can be photographed and can sometimes be seen with the naked eye. But how do we tell a real “orb” photo from a false one?

There are a number of determining factors, not the least of which is corresponding activity. By this I mean, photographing an “orb” just after recording a sharp temperature drop, or some other event that can be documented. In every aspect of paranormal research, corresponding activity, and documentation of the activity, is vital to the success of the investigation and to authenticating the activity, evidence and especially the photographs.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

QUOTE(Nsane2Bme @ Nov 5 2005, 10:58 PM) Quoted post

Oh, and FTR, I don't know how possible this is but while one of the kids was taking a picture, we saw the "orbs" that were photographed while the flash was going off.
        [/b][/quote]

Possibly stired up dust and pollen from the grass or ash from the fire. When you took the photos, these particles in the air caught the reflection of the camera flash and appeared to be "orbs".
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

We all miss baseball [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
          Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Post the pics...

And have you been drinking?
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 6 2005, 12:30 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Wrong forum...bewbie pics are at the other place... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
              Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
              Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Nov 5 2005, 11:31 PM) Quoted post
                QUOTE(madyaks @ Nov 6 2005, 12:30 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                Wrong forum...bewbie pics are at the other place... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

I saw that........ there are some nice ones
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Nsane,

You missed an awesome hucklebucks-raid of a ghost forum back in the old days...We hoaxed photos...had elaborate stories...Crackless made some of them cry...it was beautiful...
                  . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                  -mike
                  mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

I have not been drinking, I'm just board - you'all just get to suffer from it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, after additional review (i.e. not on my camera, but on my laptop), these look more like water droplets than anything I guess. But I’ll still post them for the hell of it.

Out in the cornfield

Back at the bonfire

The one where we “saw” them during the flash

The face in the fire (although I’m disappointed in this pic, it looked SO MUCH better on my camera before it was d/l).
                    Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

QUOTE(OldSchoolStroker @ Nov 5 2005, 11:33 PM) Quoted post

Nsane,

You missed an awesome hucklebucks-raid of a ghost forum back in the old days...We hoaxed photos...had elaborate stories...Crackless made some of them cry...it was beautiful...
                      [/b][/quote]

I read about some of that...I was board one other night as was reading some of the old threads... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and isn't it Nsnae? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Isn't that just light refracting off the dust that's on your lens?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I think we should all vote to make Blue Brained change his name to Copernicus...or Tycho Brahe...in which case he could go by "gold nose"... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(Nsane2Bme @ Nov 5 2005, 11:35 PM) Quoted post

Oh, and isn't it Nsnae? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                            [/b][/quote]

Sorry...typo...
                            . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                            -mike
                            mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Nov 5 2005, 11:35 PM) Quoted post

Isn't that just light refracting off the dust that's on your lens?
                              [/b][/quote]

Those were the only pictures that had them, so I don't know.

It sure did make for some fun scary stories at my cousin's house though!
                              Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Working...
                              X