X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strickland on blues sale

Grammar mistakes and all....

OWN up to the Mess! 11/03/2005 @ 12:40 AM
    The Blues will finally be sold in the coming days and Blues fans can finally move on with their lives. As I reported on 1380 ESPN radio this past week, a Game Plan LLC official, the company out of Boston hired by the Blues overseeing the purchase agreement, confirmed with me that the lawyers from the two sides continue to speak daily and are working hard to hammer out a deal.

Blues President and CEO Mark Sauer told me blues fans should not be concerned, because these things take a while. Multiple people have also told me that Sauer will receive a two million dollar bonus once the sale is complete.

There has been the thought that the amusement tax the Blues for some reason are forced to pay played a major role in Bill Laurie opting to sell the NHL franchise. First of all the Blues lose about one million dollars per year due to the tax. That’s a lot of cheddar, but if the Lauries are really losing in the range of thirty million per year (prior to the lockout) one million is a pretty small fraction.

Word is that the Mayors office contacted the Blues shortly after Laurie announcing he was looking to dump the club. Apparently the phone call was made to notify the Blues the city would eliminate the tax if Laurie remains owner of the Blues. Laurie tells the city their offer is too late, and the Lauries have made a decision and they are sticking to it. The Blues continue to be hit with the amusement tax as of today.

This could change when Dave Checketts group, which will likely include St. Louis businessman Tony Sansone Jr., takes over. That may not happen until January when the deal finally closes. The fight the Blues have had with the City the last several years trying to have the amusement tax removed, may not be as difficult when new ownership takes over.

Are we all in agreement that the timing of Laurie choosing to sell is very curious? We have been hearing the Blues say for years that in order to keep the Lauries as the owners of the Blues, they need cost certainty. Well I found it odd that after they finally got what they wanted, they announce they are selling.

The mess the Lauries are leaving behind, after trimming the payroll and leaving the cupboard nearly bare was a unecessary move. The number floating around is that the deal between Checketts and the Lauries is believed to be $140 million.

Many people feel the lawyers who the Lauries receive advice from, Dick Thomas and Brent Karasiuk have lost the Lauries millions of dollars. Trying to purchase the NBA’s Vancouver Grizzlies became a debacle, and we know the story with the Blues. [/b][/quote]
    BTW, he pretty much hit the nail on the head re: Richard Thomas....he was/is Laurie's hatchet man and handles all dirty work....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Sauer to get $2 Mil.? Let it be SEVERENCE!

UNFUCKINGBELIEVEABLE!

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Nov 3 2005, 06:47 PM) Quoted post

UNFUCKINGBELIEVEABLE! [/b][/quote]
      How are you surprised?

Financial mis-management has been a hallmark of the Sauer era.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Nov 3 2005, 06:53 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Nov 3 2005, 06:47 PM) Quoted post

UNFUCKINGBELIEVEABLE! [/b][/quote]
        How are you surprised?

Financial mis-management has been a hallmark of the Sauer era.
        [/b][/quote]

You're right. I shouldn't be surprised. I believe we now know why they needed the 30 days......

Comment

Last night Pat Foley was commenting on the Blues sale. He said they are down about 3,500 in season ticket sales.

I don't what attendance has been so far, but it seems the Blues will lose more in ticket revenue thean they would have by spending 6 or 7 million more and putting together a good team.
          LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

There's a reason why they haven't been announcing attendance at the games, you know.

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Nov 3 2005, 06:41 PM) Quoted post

Grammar mistakes and all....
              [/b][/quote]

That whole article was one big grammar mistake. Apparently he didn't pay too much attention in class that day, or any day for that matter.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Nov 3 2005, 07:02 PM) Quoted post

There's a reason why they haven't been announcing attendance at the games, you know.
                [/b][/quote]

Yesterday's USA Today had a short blurb on NHL attendance and which teams were up and which down this year. The Blues led the league with the biggest decrease from 2003-04 at -20.3%.
                Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

QUOTE(hkyfan @ Nov 3 2005, 07:41 PM) Quoted post
                  QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Nov 3 2005, 07:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Yesterday's USA Today had a short blurb on NHL attendance and which teams were up and which down this year. The Blues led the league with the biggest decrease from 2003-04 at -20.3%. [/b][/quote]
                  I've been to my fair share of games this season, and I think it may even be more than 20%....

I only wish that those douchebags that sit in section 327 and yell mindless shit would have been included in the -20.3%

Comment

Gosh, a real shame they're not drawing well this year. I do hope it comes out of the Lauries pocketbook.

Hey, I'm a statistic now too! And not the way I had always assumed I would be.
                    If only Ma could see me now...
                    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                    "I didn't know you
                    had any feelings"

Comment

This article has more effect if you pinch your nose with your fingers and read it out loud.

Comment

Working...
                      X