• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giambi signs endorsement deal w/ Reebok

Comeback kid: Giambi signs with Reebok
    By Darren Rovell
    ESPN.com

Jason Giambi had hit rock bottom.

After reportedly admitting to a federal grand jury that he knowingly used steroids, Giambi's 2005 season was off to an inauspicious start. In the midst of an 0-for-15 slump in May, he was asked if he would consider a demotion to the minor leagues. He had lost endorsement deals with Pepsi and Arm & Hammer.

But Giambi eventually pulled through. His 32 home runs and 87 RBI in 139 games this season recently earned him the American League's Comeback Player of Year in a voting by fans.

On Thursday, Reebok announced that it had signed the New York Yankees slugger. Terms of the deal, which includes both shoes and batting gloves, were not disclosed.

"We are excited to have Jason Giambi join our family," said John Lynch, Reebok's vice president of sports marketing. "Being named this year's American League Comeback Player of the Year is a true testament to Jason's determination and work ethic."

In June, it was clear that Giambi's deal with Nike was discontinued when he wore Mizuno shoes for a series against the Red Sox. A Mizuno spokesperson said that no deal had been struck. But, in the second half of the season, Giambi began wearing Reebok's Vero cleat.

"Reebok has a long-standing history of being loyal to their athletes and I am excited to be partnering with a company who truly values the players they endorse," Giambi said in a statement. "I look forward to getting back on the field next season and representing the brand to the fullest."

Giambi's other endorsement deal is with Louisville Slugger, which will still make his bats.

"This deal takes the Comeback Player of the Year Award to a new level," said David Carter, executive director of USC's Sports Business Institute. "Will he be a good spokesman? Much like any controversial figure, I think that those who were supportive of him in the beginning are even moreso today and those who feel as though he cheated fans probably have not changed their position."

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected]. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I wouldn't be surprised if he's juicing again.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

he'll sponsor reebok clear
      \'user\'user\'user
      Sponsor of Mee-Shay, Dante Culpepper & Marian Gaborik
      proud sponsor of ball-magnet

Comment

He had a nice come back.
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

didn't adidas buy out reebok?

Comment

The guy admitted to cheating, lost his power, timing and everything else, suddenly found it, and now got his endoresement dough back?

I hate America.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(JimmyG37 @ Nov 3 2005, 11:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Yes, they did....Reebok is still a brand of shoe...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Nov 4 2005, 12:20 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JimmyG37 @ Nov 3 2005, 11:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                Yes, they did....Reebok is still a brand of shoe...
                [/b][/quote]

OK thanks, just checking.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Nov 3 2005, 11:20 PM) Quoted post
                  The guy admitted to cheating, lost his power, timing and everything else, suddenly found it, and now got his endoresement dough back?

I hate America. [/b][/quote]

Isn't that what should happen when you sack up and tell the truth?

Isn't America about second chances when you come clean? (or clear [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] )
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

OT it seems we are down to Two Major and a few minor Shoe companies. Next thing you know it will be like coke & pepsi

** Official Lounge sponsor of Fulham and Detroit Lions**

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Nov 3 2005, 11:20 PM) Quoted post

I hate America.
                      [/b][/quote]

What stocks do you hold?

Moon

Comment

Terms of the deal, which includes both shoes and batting gloves, were not disclosed.[/b][/quote]

He probably makes more in per diem during the season than he does on his Reebok contract. It's more about publicity than money.
                        But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

How does the Reebok insignia fit on his syringe??
                          "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

Reebok's newest model: the HGH Pro.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X