Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards Exercise Suppan's Option

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

ST. LOUIS -- The Cardinals have elected to exercise their club option on Jeff Suppan for 2006, according to the right-hander's agent.

That puts four of the five members of St. Louis' 2005 starting rotation under the team's control for 2006, and answers one of the questions facing the club entering the offseason. Suppan's option is worth a reported $4 million, and the club could have bought it out for $1 million. Club representatives were unavailable for immediate comment on Wednesday evening.

Suppan has enjoyed two strong seasons since signing with the Cardinals before the 2004 season. He's 32-19 in a St. Louis uniform, posting ERAs of 4.16 in 2004 and a career-best 3.57 in 2005. He also showed himself to be an excellent big-game performer, pitching the clinching games of both the Division Series and National League Championship Series in 2004.

In a pitching-thin free-agent market, Suppan would likely have rated as one of the better prizes of the year. He has tossed at least 188 innings in each of the past seven seasons, and has had the three best campaigns of his career over the past three years. Instead, he will return for a third year in a Cardinals uniform.

Chris Carpenter signed a new multiyear deal with the Cards early in the '05 season, and Mark Mulder's 2006 option vested in September. Jason Marquis remains unsigned for 2006 but is not yet eligible for free agency, so he remains the property of the Cardinals. The only member of the '05 rotation that is not under the team's control is Matt Morris, who has filed for free agency.

Should Morris depart, the Cards could look to a veteran free agent, or they could turn to top prospect Anthony Reyes, who impressed in a spot start and three relief appearances down the stretch.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.[/b][/quote]
    The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Great news...but we all expected as much. Suppan is exactly the type of player that fits the Cardinal mold.

He pitched very well this year after the ASB...should have pitched ahead of Morris.

Comment

I like it also.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

No brainer.
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

would not have thought twice about doing that
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Can't wait to see who the Cardinals put on the field in '06.

According to Bernie, Mr. Fucking tightwad, Bill De Witt WILL NOT raise payroll. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Good luck, Walt.

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=307107

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Nov 3 2005, 07:05 AM) Quoted post
              Can't wait to see who the Cardinals put on the field in '06.

According to Bernie, Mr. Fucking tightwad, Bill De Witt WILL NOT raise payroll. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Good luck, Walt.

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=307107 [/b][/quote]

Something's wrong if this team can't compete on a $90 million budget.

Comment

Most managers probably can. Tony can't. He needs his high priced veterans.

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Nov 3 2005, 07:37 AM) Quoted post
                  Most managers probably can. Tony can't. He needs his high priced veterans. [/b][/quote]

Like he did last year? And two years ago? What were the payrolls those years?

Grudz was quite an expensive signing.

Comment

Strange. LaRussa said yesterday on KFNS that he was under the impression that the payroll would go up a bit, but not to the level of $100M. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Comment

Again..idiots....when you have Three or four key free agents, the owners are not going to announce a 10 million dollar pay increase. Some of you fucks would be the worst negotiators ever.

We'll be fine.

i think they hold on the Marquis for one more year....at the very least, he'll be in ST with us. I think they'll see how far wainwright comes along, and if he shows promise, make the move to trade Jason for an outfielder towards the deadline.
                      Are you on the list?

Comment

QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Nov 3 2005, 08:40 AM) Quoted post

Again..idiots....when you have Three or four key free agents, the owners are not going to announce a 10 million dollar pay increase. Some of you fucks would be the worst negotiators ever.

We'll be fine.

i think they hold on the Marquis for one more year....at the very least, he'll be in ST with us. I think they'll see how far wainwright comes along, and if he shows promise, make the move to trade Jason for an outfielder towards the deadline.
                        [/b][/quote]

You don't play very well with others do you?
                        [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Nov 3 2005, 08:40 AM) Quoted post

We'll be fine.

[/b][/quote]
                          Tiredsome and unexcellent. Grab a spoon, SLUEY.

Comment

Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Good move.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X