Crazy Cardinal Offseason Move Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Cardinal Offseason Move Idea

I was just strolling through the message boards and looking at potential free agents, and I saw a name I hadn't ever considered.

Let me preface this by saying, I know it's off the wall. AND I know we're all tired of having Cardinals with injury histories, but I'd like to use you all as a sounding board?

Would the Cards entertain the idea of going after Nomar Garciaparra?

I think at this point in his career, he isn't tied down to the idea of playing short. He wouldn't look too bad at either second or left field. In fact, I remember him saying he would consider playing in the outfield.

This guy is a real professional ball player and a hell of a hitter. I wouldn't mind seeing him bat second in our lineup.

Now, I'm not saying I prefer him to Giles, but it's at least an idea. Thoughts?
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Supposedly if the Cubs were to re-sign him, they'd put him in LF.

I've heard stranger ideas, especially on here...

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Nov 2 2005, 02:01 PM) Quoted post

Supposedly if the Cubs were to re-sign him, they'd put him in LF.

I've heard stranger ideas, especially on here...
      [/b][/quote]

I don't have the stats in front of me, nor do I feel like digging for them at the moment, but I always thought he had a great OBP. Plus, I don't believe he strikes out much. Hell, at one time he was a batting champ.

His big problem is health. Maybe if you get him away from a position that forces him to put so much stress on his legs, he could stay healthy. Who knows?
      Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

Bring back the no steroids policy and I'll be first in line for him.

Nomah would likely tear his crotch muscle anyway and be a lost cause.
        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

No thanks. He had the range of a postage stamp at SS. Even though he hit well towards the end of the year last year, I don't think he has enough left in the tank to be a good enough offensive player to make up for his inevitable deficiencies in LF.

The guy under the radar I really want is Wade Miller. Still not sure if he's under contract for one more year with Boston, but I think he'd be the perfect reclamation project for Duncan, a la Carpenter.

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Sparrow @ Nov 2 2005, 03:05 PM) Quoted post

Bring back the no steroids policy and I'll be first in line for him.

Nomah would likely tear his crotch muscle while trying to get close to Jimmy's man love and be a lost cause.
            [/b][/quote]

FiXeD....
            I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

QUOTE(Fishbone @ Nov 2 2005, 02:07 PM) Quoted post

The guy under the radar I really want is Wade Miller. Still not sure if he's under contract for one more year with Boston, but I think he'd be the perfect reclamation project for Duncan, a la Carpenter.
              [/b][/quote]

OOoohh! Great call on Wade Miller! That guy always seemed like he had some great stuff when with Houston. Maybe with a little Dunc magic he could reestablish his career.

He didn't do too poorly in Boston, did he?

Comment

Sign him as a 1B. Move Pujols to LF.

-RBB

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Nov 2 2005, 03:09 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

OOoohh! Great call on Wade Miller! That guy always seemed like he had some great stuff when with Houston. Maybe with a little Dunc magic he could reestablish his career.

[/b][/quote]
                  Good idea, but I'd pass on Miller. I always liked him though

Source

Red Sox | Miller to Have Surgery
                  Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:28:35 -0700

RedSox.MLB.com's Ian Browne reports Boston Red Sox SP Wade Miller (shoulder) will have surgery on his right shoulder Thursday, Sept. 29. Once the surgery is complete, they'll know more of a timetable for when or if he can pitch next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Sox | Miller Likely to Have Shoulder Surgery
                  Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:36:18 -0700

ESPN.com reports Boston Red Sox SP Wade Miller (shoulder) is likely to have surgery on his right shoulder to repair the torn labrum he's tried to pitch with for the past two years. Such a surgery may sideline him nine months.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Nov 2 2005, 02:09 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    He had a pretty bad year, but Boston acknowledged that they weren't expecting him to be 100% for the majority of the season. I didn't know about the surgery until Donuts posted it either, and I just saw a FA list for 2006 saying he was signed through then as well.

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Nov 2 2005, 02:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(house77 @ Nov 2 2005, 03:09 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                      Good idea, but I'd pass on Miller. I always liked him though

Source

Red Sox | Miller to Have Surgery
                      Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:28:35 -0700

RedSox.MLB.com's Ian Browne reports Boston Red Sox SP Wade Miller (shoulder) will have surgery on his right shoulder Thursday, Sept. 29. Once the surgery is complete, they'll know more of a timetable for when or if he can pitch next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Sox | Miller Likely to Have Shoulder Surgery
                      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:36:18 -0700

ESPN.com reports Boston Red Sox SP Wade Miller (shoulder) is likely to have surgery on his right shoulder to repair the torn labrum he's tried to pitch with for the past two years. Such a surgery may sideline him nine months.
                      [/b][/quote]

Damn!

Comment

Wasn't La Russa wanting Miller last year?
                        The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Nomar?

Only if he quits that stupid superstition shit.
                          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Fishbone @ Nov 2 2005, 03:22 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(house77 @ Nov 2 2005, 02:09 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                            He had a pretty bad year, but Boston acknowledged that they weren't expecting him to be 100% for the majority of the season. I didn't know about the surgery until Donuts posted it either, and I just saw a FA list for 2006 saying he was signed through then as well.
                            [/b][/quote]

Miller had a weird season. He would always start slowly, have a terrible first inning, completely unable to spot his pitches, and then settle down and pitch great. The problem was that in that first inning he would throw so many pitches that he'd be up to about 100 by the 5th. It was like he had huge problems getting loose.

Code:
                            Pitches AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS 
                            Pitches 1-15 43 9 15 5 1 0 7 4 1 5 0 3 .349 .408 .512 .920 
                            Pitches 16-30 49 9 16 2 1 3 12 7 0 7 3 0 .327 .404 .592 .995 
                            Pitches 31-45 50 15 13 3 1 0 6 7 1 10 0 0 .260 .350 .360 .710 
                            Pitches 46-60 63 9 16 2 2 2 8 7 0 8 2 0 .254 .329 .444 .773 
                            Pitches 61-75 45 2 11 2 0 0 3 6 0 9 1 0 .244 .333 .289 .622 
                            Pitches 76-90 42 6 5 2 0 0 2 9 1 11 2 0 .119 .288 .167 .455 
                            Pitches 91-105 47 3 11 3 0 3 6 5 0 9 1 0 .234 .302 .489 .791
                            Official Lounge Sponsor:
                            Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                            The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                            Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Would love it if we got Wade Miller...he is the perfect candidate for fixin by Duncan

I don't want any part of Nomar at any position.
                              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                              X