Report: Hunsicker close to deal with Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Hunsicker close to deal with Tampa Bay

ST. PETERSBURG -- Former Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker reportedly is close to signing a multiyear deal to join the Devil Rays' front office.
    According to a report in Wednesday's St. Petersburg Times, Hunsicker's route toward joining the Rays opened up Tuesday after the Phillies hired Pat Gillick as their general manager, which directed Hunsicker toward the Rays, where he will work in some capacity with Andrew Friedman, the Rays' 28-year-old chief of baseball operations.

The Times further reported that a deal could be in place by Wednesday afternoon with an official announcement coming Thursday.

Hunsicker, 55, served as the Astros general manager for nine years, where he played a key role in building the team that reached the World Series this season. He resigned his position with the Astros after the 2004 season.

If the deal is consummated, Hunsicker will jump immediately into the decision process regarding who should be the Rays' next field manager. The list was narrowed to three candidates Tuesday -- Rays bench coach John McLaren, Angels bench coach Joe Maddon and former Rangers and Mets manager Bobby Valentine.

The Rays are scheduled to conduct followup interviews with McLaren and Maddon next week and hope to have their initial interview with Valentine.
    [/b][/quote]

MLB.com

I love this team.

Dunno why. I think the draw was Pinella, but if they get Valentine, my man love increases.

Comment

maybe he'll deal Crawford and Kazmir to the Cards just to piss Houston off
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Rays looking at former Astros GM Hunsicker

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are expected to hire former Houston general manager Gerry Hunsicker as a team executive, the latest move in their front office makeover.

The Devil Rays, who began discussions with Hunsicker last month, scheduled a Thursday afternoon announcement "regarding the team's new baseball operations department."

Tampa Bay is looking for a new general manager, but it's unclear what role Hunsicker would fill. Indications are that he would not assume the title of GM, a position that has been vacant since the Devil Rays fired Chuck LaMar last month.

Hunsicker, who was with the Astros for nine seasons before resigning last year, did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

Hunsicker helped assemble a Houston team that reached the NL Championship Series in his final season of 2004. The Astros won the pennant this year before being swept by the Chicago White Sox in the World Series.

New principal owner Stuart Sternberg took over control of the Devil Rays from former managing general partner Vincent Naimoli last month. Among Sternberg's first moves were to fire LaMar and expand the duties of young executives Matt Silverman and Andrew Friedman.

The 29-year-old Silverman and 28-year-old Friedman have been leading the search for a new manager. They trimmed the list of candidates to three finalists on Tuesday, and Hunsicker is expected to help them decide between former New York Mets manager Bobby Valentine, Los Angeles Angels bench coach Joe Maddon and incumbent Devil Rays bench coach John McLaren.

The 55-year-old Hunsicker was in the running to become Philadelphia's GM until Pat Gillick was hired by the Phillies on Wednesday. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Damn...I was hoping they would hire a dumb guy who would trade us Huff and Crawford for Marquis and bag of doughnuts
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
          X